What do you get when you cross a passion for Marijuana an electrical license and x2

timhdr

So I got to talking to my LEGEND of a boss the other day about growing with LEDs, and the impact it would have on our industry (commercial/industrial electrician). Well long story short I ended up walking away with two "damaged" 400w CREE parkinglot heads. One of them (I actually responded to the call on this one) was on a pole that was knocked over by an 18 wheeler but only had some cosmetic damage to the housing. The other only has a bad shorting cap as far as I know of. Other than that I know nothing about these lights, but I'll post some pics as I open them up tonight and begin to design the fixture I will be repurposing them for.

420-magazine-mobile1589013530.jpg

420-magazine-mobile167993960.jpg

First Indoor Grow With Mars II 1200W & The McGrow

Re: What do you get when you cross a passion for marijuana, an electrical license, an

So I got one of the two lights stripped down to just the led and driver. Good news and bad news. Good news is that the led is in fact x3 20 light strips. The heatsink of each has a channel that locks it into the next one. I like this alot as I have the option to make one big light now, 6 small ones or any combination in between.
420-magazine-mobile1140899959.jpg

420-magazine-mobile455612303.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1731997761.jpg

420-magazine-mobile286436071.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1026254519.jpg

Now the bad news. I was told this was a multi-tap fixture. It is not. The driver is rated for 480v (minimum 347). I do not have that voltage (and no desire to work with that voltage on my time) so Im getting some more specs from these now in order to size new drivers.

420-magazine-mobile1584873382.jpg

420-magazine-mobile300194794.jpg

Re: What do you get when you cross a passion for Marijuana an electrical license and

Ordered (2) 120v input 150w 700ma drivers and some aluminum stock to get started on this. Going to build 2 seperste fixtures consisting of a driver and 3 of the 20 led/heatsink configurations. Now to just find some time. Been swimming in overtime lately.

Re: What do you get when you cross a passion for Marijuana an electrical license and

This is amazing... and something I (and I am sure anybody else who has stared at those big new LED lampposts) have been wondering about for some time. Thank you for sharing your experience with the community. Can't wait to see what you are able to do!

xxKitty

I'm subbed too. I'm also electrician, I've been putting in led lights also, parking lot and wall packs. Seems like everything now days is using led, no more hps in industrial and commercial applications.
You're so right. I havnt installed non-led fixtures in about two years now. Especially since MA has been almost giving away money with their energy saving grants for commercial realestate. Parking lot lights, walpacks, 2x4 suspended ceiling fixtures, trim kits, EVERYTHING IS LED. I installed 2x4 lighting panels in a suspended ceiling last week and the fixture had a thinner profile than the ceiling tile. This technology amazes me sometimes

Yea , 2x4 and led can lights is what I've been putting in lately, hospital grade.
Gotta love backwrapping that supplemental ground and peeling off paper insulation am I right? . I've been in a cabinet factory since late August. Good thing I love bending pipe.
420-magazine-mobile1905827892.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2102077217.jpg

This is amazing... and something I (and I am sure anybody else who has stared at those big new LED lampposts) have been wondering about for some time. Thank you for sharing your experience with the community. Can't wait to see what you are able to do!

xxKitty

lol that was so recognisable... we had them installed few months ago in the street and i was looking at them and wondering what it would do to plants circadian rythms...

Pt

I'm about finished building my 24 chip panel. I kinda like this diy stuff, lights are pretty simple to put together.
420-magazine-mobile745351682.jpg
Those meters are great for the money. That panel looks really clean. . where did you order your drivers from? And did you wire those for dimming?

I got the drivers from mouser. Yes they are for dimming, I'm putting the pots in now. I went with the veros, only problem is they are 38v chips, I tried to get 5 chips per driver, up to 50w a piece. I came up couple volts shy, and could only turn up to around 11 to 1200 ma, instead of 1400. I'll have 6 drivers with 6 pots

Back
Top Bottom