Thermoelectric Water Cooler

sammysnake

Hi guys!

For my first grow, I experienced some root issues and I believe part of the reason was my reservior temperature going over 20C. After seeing the price tags on the professional water cooler units of $750+, I wanted to see if I could hack together my own solution.

There was two different directions I could go in, one was to buy a cheap beer fridge and hack it apart. This seems like the most involved, size, complexity, etc. The other direction was a Thermoelectric Cooler.

A small kit can be purchased off of amazon.

61bKQ0vcTpL_SL1000_.jpg

This kit kinda sucks because the heatsink is too dinky. I went with this one because it was prime and I wanted to try it out without waiting 2 months for parts to come from china. Also I had a spare CPU heatsink to use in its place.

If you have time to wait you can order the Thermoelectric coolers on their own for cheap.

41hZIW2VWIL.jpg

You will also need a water cooling block, 12v power supply, water pump and plastic tubing.

Pictures of the prototype:
IMG_7585_1_.JPG
IMG_76624.JPG
IMG_76644.JPG
IMG_76666.JPG
IMG_76696.JPG
IMG_76704.JPG
IMG_76725.JPG

I plan on cleaning this up a bit and mounting it to a platform, will post pictures up of cleaned up solution.

It appears to have some effect, I did want to try and get the temperature down to 19C at least though. I am going to try insulating my reserviour and see if that helps. Will also post the results here.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom