Flower initiator

I like Cheese

Just built a flower initiator. Watched a Growmau5 video and had to try it. It comes on for 15 mins and will tell your plants to go to sleep after lights out.

Here are the components I used.

420-magazine-mobile112797623.jpg

I used a 12v 12w phone charger and the connector from a PC fan. The driver is a meanwell ldd 700.

420-magazine-mobile357562447.jpg

Square Aluminium tube. 30mm x 30mm

420-magazine-mobile1112278768.jpg

Fixed the 3w far red LEDs to the tube self tapping screws and remembered heatsink paste.

420-magazine-mobile1915853414.jpg

Popped the driver inside the tube and pulled wire through hole and connected.

420-magazine-mobile1045097890.jpg

Finished the soldering burnt myself a few times and here it is.

420-magazine-mobile111220929.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1313875444.jpg

It was around 35 euros. Had to buy a meter of tube to get 16 cm and 5 Leds. If you can get the bits you need then it can be done cheaper.

I shit you not
I also built and use a deep red wake up initiator. Works the same except you turn it on 15 minutes before lights on and leave it on for one hour. Works great too I use 3 10w cobs for that too. If you need the link let me know. I will post it here.

Thanks for the replies Avidlerner.

Think I am going to stay with what I have right now. When my light turns on it gives more than enough 660 nM to wake the girls up. Really appreciate the tips.

Just built a flower initiator. Watched a Growmau5 video and had to try it. It comes on for 15 mins and will tell your plants to go to sleep after lights out.

Finished the soldering burnt myself a few times and here it is.

I just finished up a test grow using a commercially built 730nm far red light, and it knocked 12 days off my flowering cycle :)

awesome DIY build!

I have been getting a few seeds every run now with same schedule. Tiger stripped mature ones in the larfy area lol

Can you explain? what schedule are you using?

12/12 with one hour of deep red in the morning at wake up and 30 minutes of far red in the evening. Makes them wake up and go to sleep faster. Cuts schedule too

Thats odd that you are getting seeds? have you ever gotten seeds without the far red induction with those same genetics?

Thats odd that you are getting seeds? have you ever gotten seeds without the far red induction with those same genetics?
No. But I still run 8 weeks and they are more mature than in the past. But I am a creature of habit and I need to harvest sooner. On the flip side, the Universe smiles on me and rebuilds my seed stock with femonized seeds of my favorite genetics.

I believe it is both sunrise and sunset. Sunrise starts from black to dark blue to IR to deep red to orange to yellow and the reverse for sunset except far red replaces deep red and IR.

No. But I still run 8 weeks and they are more mature than in the past. But I am a creature of habit and I need to harvest sooner. On the flip side, the Universe smiles on me and rebuilds my seed stock with femonized seeds of my favorite genetics.

Haha... thats a great way to make a positive out of it :) thanks...

I was just asking questions because I haven't seen anyone else that has used far red for flower initiation have this issue yet...

I was trying to see if the root of the cause was possibly other things or if it was the light... very interesting to know.

I hope more people post their experiences with far red flower triggering because it would be awesome to have a bunch of peoples input on using far red. I've only ran into about a handful or 2 of people that actually have used far red light so hopefully we will get more peoples input on it.

Have you tried just 15 minutes of far red at night? without the red in the morning? any issues with seeds if you did?

I believe it is both sunrise and sunset. Sunrise starts from black to dark blue to IR to deep red to orange to yellow and the reverse for sunset except far red replaces deep red and IR.

You know whats funny is when I first started growing I used a HPS and a MH and purposely set them up on timers so my hps would come on first, and then about an hour or 2 later my MH would come on and then same upon sunset, the MH would go out, and then the HPS would go out... to simulate the red mornings and nights and the MH would simulate the mid day more pure white spectrum... anyhow I thought it was funny that you mentioned it as it was something I thought about years ago...

MH for veg. HPS for flower. When and if any light system can match the production and quality they have produced for years. I might consider changing. Newer corrected light spectrum bulbs are that much better. No light system has even come close to the thousands of pounds produced by these lights. I know they can not be used in every situation. If the heat can be vented No LED will compete. Too many people try to re-invent the wheel.

MH for veg. HPS for flower. When and if any light system can match the production and quality they have produced for years. I might consider changing. Newer corrected light spectrum bulbs are that much better. No light system has even come close to the thousands of pounds produced by these lights. I know they can not be used in every situation. If the heat can be vented No LED will compete. Too many people try to re-invent the wheel.
This thread has nothing to do with if LEDs are better than MH/HPS and is not mentioned here. It's about far red flower initiators. I have no idea how MH/HPS match Up to LEDs, Just what I have read. As far as re inventing the wheel. No one is trying to do that, just finding better ways to drive them.

What? wrong thread my friend... this is about using Far Red light to trigger phytochrome...

Back
Top Bottom