DIY TEST Project - DWC USN container conversion - CFL's - Bagseed - Under 60 dollars

Treblecleff

Hello All

This is my first attempt at DWC "bubbleponics". Total cost approx 680 zar (52 usd) - I figure if I build another unit it will cost less because certain things I bought like Leca, I could only find in 10 liter, and I only needed about 500ml leca - so if I was able to buy less leca, and less nutrients, it would have cost 15 dollars less)

Many years with not much research I tried outdoors soil grow, but I did not do much research, and it failed. But now that I discovered DWC systems, it's really stimulating my interest in growing again

I decided to test out all the research I have done, and info I gathered from you tube, free grow PDF's, free books, and I'm reading the grow bible for the 3rd time now, lol.

I came across many DIY ideas.
From using sandwich containers to germinate seeds, to making your own net cups, to using household vinegar to lower the PH of tap water.

Pics to follow

Re: DIY TEST Project — DWC USN container conversion — CFL's — Bagseed -under 60 dolla

DWC_PP_LABELS.jpg

Re: DIY TEST Project — DWC USN container conversion — CFL's — Bagseed -under 60 dolla

You might need to add lights as you go but yeah. You in jhb? Also is that a 40W osram bulb?

Hi. I am in CPT. yes, its a small 7 year old 40watt CFL(not sure how long it still has to live). I checked in the general stores, and I could not find a 40 watt bulb that small anywhere. That's why the light on the right is a LED 11 watt bulb. I bought/ordered 10 x 30 watt Corn shape LED COB B22 bulbs from Ebay... if all goes well, I should get it by end July.

For what I have read thus far... says I should have not less than 2500 lumens minimum per plant for good results (6 to 9 plants 45 000 is what should be aimed for). I am most def short of light... but the seed is still hatching... I will add some more light over the weekend.

Any connections with good seed bru, let me know.. cause this project is an unknown "outdoor" seed.. it feels like such a waste...

I asked because I was looking for 40w cfls can't find them anywhere lol, I was looking for good seeds also someone said try the seedbank sponsors on the forum, another member told me in CT it's easier to get clones of good strains but again you need to know the right people.
There's a lot of CT growers in the forums get your posts up and you can pm them maybe they will be able to guide you in the right direction.
If it's your first grow then I rate outdoor unknown seeds is a good practice run. As long as your outdoor seed turns out to be a female it's not a waste bud.

yes... same issue...

if you can't find the bulbs either... I hope my ebay order arrive...

yes, I figured that also... my bag seed might turn out male...

therefore I found cheaper nutrients... from a company in your area, aquaponics.com.

They have 1 liter nutrients for R60... and the refills R42... Includes a feeding schedule.. .but I will go with half of what they say I should add.. and see how it goes...

yes, finding clones and seeds is a schlep.. but I'm not going to stress much, I first want to get through this test run with the bag seed...

happy growing...

yes... same issue...

if you can't find the bulbs either... I hope my ebay order arrive...

yes, I figured that also... my bag seed might turn out male...

therefore I found cheaper nutrients... from a company in your area, aquaponics.com.

They have 1 liter nutrients for R60... and the refills R42... Includes a feeding schedule.. .but I will go with half of what they say I should add.. and see how it goes...

yes, finding clones and seeds is a schlep.. but I'm not going to stress much, I first want to get through this test run with the bag seed...

happy growing...

Those nutes are cheap bra.
In terms of lights most people are going towards COB leds they are proving to be the most efficient in terms of lm/w that's what I'm looking for in my next grow better lights and a good strain but I've got my current grow going so I'll worry about that when I'm done with this one.
Happy growing here's hoping you got a lady on your hands.

yep... ordered LED COB 30w and 50w.. chinese Sh*t.. lol... we are not allowed to post grow journals from any other LED companies, besides the sponsors on this page... lol.. .therefore I tried not to mention it.

I ordered the integrated driver LED COB. It connect directly to the mains. heat sink and fan needed to cool down... compared to "shopping" for lights at my local stores... these prices are dirt cheap on Ebay. I paid about R350 for 5 x 50 watt full spectrum chips, and 5 x 30 watt, including heat sinks and DC down drivers... thermal glue paste also cheap...

These should arrive by end July... so my LED COB grow is in the near future.. lol...

Thanks for the interest and feedback.

yep... ordered LED COB 30w and 50w.. chinese Sh*t.. lol... we are not allowed to post grow journals from any other LED companies, besides the sponsors on this page... lol.. .therefore I tried not to mention it.
You can post journals with anybodys lights, any type, it doesn't matter. The only place they don't like you mentioning other brands would be in the sponsors own thread.
So feel free to start your journals. :thumb:

Yes, like Snarly said. There are many Growers using a variety of branded lights. I have also been in contact with LED Select that operates on Bio or Buy and is situated in Goodwood, he brings in the Cobs you speak of with the integrated driver. Looking at about R700 per 100w cob and PC heatsink and fan.

This is what I started with.
420-magazine-mobile840465737.jpg

You can also get different wattage cfl from China town for dirt cheap, the only downside is I could only find the Kelvin for veg. I made a 225w veg hood for the fun with I'm going to be using in an addition I have so that worked out
Looks like this

420-magazine-mobile1082153044.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2016158706.jpg

Little veg box I have added on.
420-magazine-mobile739739708.jpg

It's a bit of a hunt if your in SA.

Have a mate in CT that is the agent for European Horticultural Light, and has stock it your looking for a economical start, something you can add to.

Yo Justin.

Thank you for the info.. ah ha! I forgot about china town.. I see, those CFL's are cool white...

Bid of buy.. purchase stuff from there before.. realised its not worth it.. the markups are insane... R700 per 100w complete, is heavy.. way out of my budget hence the major DIY research.. the order I'm waiting for from ebay, is approx 500w of COB grow LED's, with fans, and heatsinks... for under 500 bucks... paying R700 locally for just one LED.. makes my brain all foggy... without even smoking anything.. Lmao

I love, love, love your setup...s...and handy work... and your work looks so neat... lil OCD... I like that...

How do we connect outside this site man?

Get your posts up to 50 then you can inbox me. Believe me, it didn't take long with the amount of questions one has, and comment one can leave wink wink...

thx for the tip Justin... Its over 50 now... lol...

I sent you a message... and now, over 50...

Back
Top Bottom