Clothes Dryer - Stealth Concept Build

mouser

I was just tossing around ideas for a stealth set up at my nieces house....she's in MA where its legal to grow, but her living situation might cause her problems so...

I am a commercial laundry appliance technician by trade so old dead dryers are common. The idea here is to gut the cabinet...drum/motor/controls/etc gone. Line the inside with reflective something. The vent is at the bottom of the cabinet which isnt optimal, so continue the vent up the back wall and 90 it off to a 12"? charcoal filter just under the top.

Light would be...2-3 cobs at 50w each with active cooling (CPU fans) on a bar attached to the top of the cabinet walls..so when the top is lifted the lights are still in place for work/adjustment.

Intake would be passive unless more is needed...metal shell would prevent the wall sucking that tents have with a decent extracting fan.

all wiring/drivers/etc would be behind the control panel at the top...which could even accommodate a dimming knob if desired..power could be provided with existing dryer cord. Gas would work best, but 220 would just require dropping a leg or 2 depending on phase.

Silly idea? or should I go ahead with a prototype?

:peacetwo:

I was just tossing around ideas for a stealth set up at my nieces house....she's in MA where its legal to grow, but her living situation might cause her problems so...

I am a commercial laundry appliance technician by trade so old dead dryers are common. The idea here is to gut the cabinet...drum/motor/controls/etc gone. Line the inside with reflective something. The vent is at the bottom of the cabinet which isnt optimal, so continue the vent up the back wall and 90 it off to a 12"? charcoal filter just under the top.

Light would be...2-3 cobs at 50w each with active cooling (CPU fans) on a bar attached to the top of the cabinet walls..so when the top is lifted the lights are still in place for work/adjustment.

Intake would be passive unless more is needed...metal shell would prevent the wall sucking that tents have with a decent extracting fan.

all wiring/drivers/etc would be behind the control panel at the top...which could even accommodate a dimming knob if desired..power could be provided with existing dryer cord. Gas would work best, but 220 would just require dropping a leg or 2 depending on phase.

Silly idea? or should I go ahead with a prototype?

Sounds like a plan you can always make a higher exhaust hole.

Sounds like a plan you can always make a higher exhaust hole.

True, but Im trying to make this as natural looking as possible...I cant think of a production dryer with a vent at the top...

True, but Im trying to make this as natural looking as possible...I cant think of a production dryer with a vent at the top...
I've got a couple washers and dryers laying around my yard and I tossed around the idea of building one into a grow box... kind of wanted something taller so I was going to stick a washer on top of a dryer but never made it around to it yet....i love the incognito idea lol

If you could put the intake for the exhaust high up inside the dryer and have ducting run down to the original exhaust of the dryer maybe

exactly...venting comes in the back at the normal point..run it up to the top and 90 it off to the filter in the corner. I figure if people are finishing plants in PC cases this has got to be better...at least for a veg box.

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as I grab a DOA from work.

Back
Top Bottom