NoobyMacDooby's 1st Time Noob Growers Journey - All The Gears But No Ideas - DIY

Hey there, so yet another 1st time grower here. Hoping to plot my progress for some help and feedback. As my username suggests I'm a complete noob grower when it comes to cannabis. I do have some low level gardening experience, mainly me watching my wife do stuff in the garden, but it's enough to keep a plant alive...for a while.

I've been a long time smoker and I clearly remember the 1st time I smoked good weed. A seemingly random night hanging out at the beach front when a mate showed up with White Rhino grown in hydroponics. The difference between smoking that and the random junky weed we smoked was almost life changing. Sadly for me actually getting more of it was near impossible and so the idea of growing my own became a dream of sorts. Fast Forward quite a few years and now I'm in a financial and hopefully legal place where I can actually attempt to do just that, recreate that special night of smoking not only good weed, but weed I grew myself.

As the title suggests I have invested in some equipment and I hope to keep adding to it as I progress, mostly in the light department and maybe a portable A.C. in summer. I got a bit carried away after deciding that it was time to start a grow. Started off with the idea of a cabinet grow and ended up in a small room.
But as far as growing cannabis plants go, I don't have any experience. There was that one time I grew a male plant in a smal pot, with crappy soil, bad light and over watering...total amount of experience in that department. So I've been watching videos, reading forums etc. and even studying plant biology in the hopes of becoming a decent grower. It's going to be a journey if anything. Also I'm based in South Africa so I am limited somewhat in the nutrient and additives department but hopefully I can find or make alternatives for the bits I can't buy.

This journal does however start towards the end of my 1st grow. I popped some seeds right after the decision was made to do a grow and then I started working on the grow room a bit later. The room I'm using is actually a small outside room used for storage which had to be cleaned out and painted. Only took about 3 weeks of work to fix up...imagine about 20 years of dust and grime build up.

So grow room size specs: 2.2m wide x 2.5m long x 2 .4 high (slanted roof)

Potential grow size - 2.2m x 1.5m - more plants but more lights needed plus less space to reach plants

Aiming for: 1.7 x 1.5m - good plant amount, about 6 of them and I can reach the plants

Here's a blurry shot of the grow space:

roomsize.jpg

Going to extend the scrog to the back wall and then hopefully fill the space with plants. My lights may not be enough yet to cover the whole space enoughg for a dense grow.

Speaking of lights:

Lights: currently running 6 x 36v cree 3590 cobs and 4 x far red leds

I got about 95% of my information on led lights from Growmau5 and built myself some lights. Got the idea of a somewhat modular setup from GreenGenes Gardens where you use a frame and make the lights in bars which can move along the frame. And my oldman happens to be an electronics guru so he helped me verify that I got the right parts and although the wiring is pretty simple and done in series, he did it for me making it look rather spiffy.

Busy with another set of lights, 6 x 38v bridglux vero 29's. Growmau5 + GreenGenes Gardens did a stream where they showed them to be on par with the cree so bought some of them as they're cheaper. So the next grow will be under more lights. Hopefully on my 3rd grow I can add 2 more bars for another 6 X cobs....if the wallet allows.

Crees:

lights52.jpg

New Vero's:

veros.jpg

then for the current grow:

room74.jpg

Strain - Good old random bag seed, so fun with crappy genetics

Indica? Sativa? Hybrid? who knows but it's looking more on the sativa'ish side to me...a complete noob

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
In flower day 39

Plants on the left and middle where grown outside for over a month before vegging for a month. DWC was started from seed at the same time so it's way behind.

Soil or Hydro?
Both, doing soil and a deep water culture setup

If soil... what is in your mix?
Leftside plant - Organic compost, bonemeal, coco, perlite, worm castings
Middle plant - organic soil mix from Freedom Farms
Not sure, thinking 20l and 10l ?

Temp: swings btw 24 and 28 degrees, still getting to grips with managing my grow area
RH of Room: btw 40 and 60
PH - 6.5 to 7 for soil and PH 5.5 for DWC

Pests, bugs:
Freakin gnats - not an invasion but I'm sure it could've gone better without them

How often are you watering?
Currently once a week. Not on a watering schedule, trying to water the plants after the soil has dried.

Type and strength of ferts used?
Using all the ferts! Yeah got swept up in that nutes craze, what with being a nooby. Luckily did follow the advice of not over feeding so only over fed slightly.
Using Bio grow and Bio bloom ,kelp extract, molasses, epsom salts (when using R.O) Guano Grow, Microbes and even some fermented plant juice - pawpaw

So 1st grows:
Started the DWC setup on the right from seedling so those plants where always behind, me PH shocking them close to death didn't help the growth speed either. Surprisingly even after really messing up the plants as I got to grips with the system they turned out female. Don't think they will even be at stage where I can get any heads from them as the other plants will finish way before it. Just keeping it going for practice sake.

Leftside plant:

The runt! Started at the same time as the middle plant, grew really badly but it actually just looked like a cute potplant so I kept it around. At one stage even considered just keeping it in the house. Didn't really look after it and boom the heads on this plant are pretty frosty compared to the bigger plant and have a dark roasted coffee smell to them. Not sure if genetics or stress...or combo? Either way will hopefully have some nice heads to smoke.

bud shot:

runt25.jpg

Middle Plant

Another unknown plant but one of the 1st seeds I sprouted. In day 39 of flower but it seems things are going a bit off with leaf yellowing. Was on it's last possible feed so will be using straight water to flush in the next few days. It's always been a problem child when it came to nitrogen as the leaves never went dark green. Could be genetics where it just has yellowy leaves too. Either way I'l have something to show for my 1st grow.

bud shot:

fem_1_bud.jpg

Well that's quite a bit there for the start. Have some more plans for DIY stuff and popped some seeds.

Hey boet
boer maak n plan

Actually your room and your setup look great, I can only see good things in your grow future.

All the best bud. ( hey that`s a double pun ! )

ex Zim, Durban 12 yrs, now UK

Hootenanny - Thanks

stage4 - Hoesit my Bru!

Wasn't sure about continuing this thread due to it being a stealth grow and was a teensy bit paranoid about someone picking up on it. But I'l just try be careful about what's in the photos. Also one of the reasons for starting this is that I can't show it to anyone I know around here.

So since my 1st post I had to pull out the deep water culture plants. The one plant kept getting mold on the leaves so I decided to pull it. Had to take down both plants due to them growing in the same container. Not a train smash though as they where not going to finish in time anyways. It's also given me the chance to start planning and building my next DWC. Going to grow in some buckets this time around.

The 2 remaining plants are on day 49 of flower. I've started flushing both plants and the smaller left side plant is looking pretty good but the big plant is yellowing quite rapidly. Not overly concerned about it though. Might not look so great in the bag but I'm not planning on selling any of it. Again both plants are unknown genetics so between the unknown and my noobness it's surprising I gotten this far.

Plants:
P10404931.JPG

Bud shots:

Runt:
P10404961.JPG

Big plant:
P10404951.JPG

I've also started a new grow. I only have one grow space but I can grow seedlings and small plants inside/outside my house so I'm doing that to speed up the overall time between harvests.
I'm doing bag seed again for learning purposes and while I still get my grow space dialled in. Going to make some changes to the setup along with the new DWC system.

The genetics of this bag seed is also somewhat unknown, but mostly in the sense of it being a mix between a local land race and Chronic. The buds the seeds came from seem to produce quite a good volume of oil per gram and I'm told the land race is a CBD strain. So will just be calling it Kei for now.

Also growing them in a variety of mediums to learn which work best.

Some seedlings:
P10404912.JPG

Start of the new deep water culture setup:
P10404991.JPG

Got a fair bit going on here :thumb:

I know what you mean about the stealth! Marijuana still has a negative stigma in Australia where I'm from, so talking to anyone about it is out of the question.. I need to turn off the exhaust fan when the in laws are coming around ect...

Any chance of getting your humidity levels down? Its probably already on your mind, given the mold.. Maybe look at a different growing style than DWC if you live in a humid area, or you may be fighting high RH all the time.

Got a fair bit going on here :thumb:

I know what you mean about the stealth! Marijuana still has a negative stigma in Australia where I'm from, so talking to anyone about it is out of the question.. I need to turn off the exhaust fan when the in laws are coming around ect...

Any chance of getting your humidity levels down? Its probably already on your mind, given the mold.. Maybe look at a different growing style than DWC if you live in a humid area, or you may be fighting high RH all the time.

Yup, lots happening on this side with court cases etc. and the legality of it. My concern is more crime related, don't want guys coming to try steal my stuff.

And then humidity wise I'm doing good so far, it was just that one plant that seemed to get moldy. And it was when I tried to up the humidity in the room. The other plants were happy about it. I managed to luck into a cheap 20l dehumidifier so humidity is being kept in check.

Yup, lots happening on this side with court cases etc. and the legality of it. My concern is more crime related, don't want guys coming to try steal my stuff.

And then humidity wise I'm doing good so far, it was just that one plant that seemed to get moldy. And it was when I tried to up the humidity in the room. The other plants were happy about it. I managed to luck into a cheap 20l dehumidifier so humidity is being kept in check.

In veg RH should stay 50-70% in flower 40-60% but try to stay around 50% I am in ripening stages of 5 ft mother plants that are BUSHES!! I have had them in my garden for Over a year just cloning and flowering , so I wanted new genetics so I flipped those and started to pop beans when ever I do a veg cycle I do a auto as my rooms are built for a perpetual harvest, so 2 of my rooms need humidity in it and 2 dont , it can be challenging but you just gotta do it so your ladies are happy I am gonna photo bomb you with some money shots of this run and you'll see. What I mean, also you have a great light I would either turn it up (if you made it dimmable) or lower it Bc then node stacking will be better the close together internode spacing is the better, I love a plant that's 12" but a Bush then you flip stretch so gain 3feet of growth but then node stacking will be close and colas LONG, your doing great I am only trying to help you as I have been doing this since 1998, and I am passionate about it very much I am running 4 rooms that's 30 to 40 hours spent gardening and I run carbon filters constantly AUTOS STINK UP THE WORST!! , I thought photos were bad nothing compared to a auto even in early flower
420-magazine-mobile1579284440.jpg
22 clone of blue dream and C 99
420-magazine-mobile2101773339.jpg
same room its day 18 since pistols popped day 24 from flip
420-magazine-mobile1467139220.jpg
BLUE DREAM MOTHER
420-magazine-mobile1063278515.jpg
C 99 MOTHER
420-magazine-mobile495459531.jpg
420-magazine-mobile540944551.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2025106660.jpg
Lemon Haze mother's
420-magazine-mobile903181581.jpg
Critical Kush mother now new genetics
420-magazine-mobile1411231431.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1294919436.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1597921007.jpg
and now all my autos In DWC and a pic of root mass for a couple
420-magazine-mobile653598576.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1149958855.jpg
420-magazine-mobile368958958.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1606391930.jpg
Red poison auto 4.5 ft tall
420-magazine-mobile819673276.jpg
420-magazine-mobile890035228.jpg
2 LIME DAIQUIRI AUTO 4.5 ft tall
420-magazine-mobile547027792.jpg
fast and vast auto

Sorry to photo bomb UOU and wasn't trying to hijack your thread just wanted you to see how much you can do with these beautiful plants

Sorry to photo bomb UOU and wasn't trying to hijack your thread just wanted you to see how much you can do with these beautiful plants

No worries and thanks! Yeah as you could see from my other thread I'm still battling with the right light height vs intensity. I also have double the light now! My other issue is that I was starting plants outside with not the best sunlight. For my 3rd grow I'm going to setup some fluorescent lights for my seedlings so when I go into the room there is minimal stretching in the start.

No worries and thanks! Yeah as you could see from my other thread I'm still battling with the right light height vs intensity. I also have double the light now! My other issue is that I was starting plants outside with not the best sunlight. For my 3rd grow I'm going to setup some fluorescent lights for my seedlings so when I go into the room there is minimal stretching in the start.

Node stacking is so important I make sure all my nodes on all plants are TIGHT A higher Kelvin will do it , red light tends to stretch as blue light keeps short spacing, so idk if your cob set up allows only 6500k or 5000k I always wanted a cob but just haven't jumped on board yet I have a lec or a CMH, same thing I also have a perfect sun Goliath Led, and a bunch of middle ground Led lights , I retired my 1000w hps my electric is high enough

Node stacking is so important I make sure all my nodes on all plants are TIGHT A higher Kelvin will do it , red light tends to stretch as blue light keeps short spacing, so idk if your cob set up allows only 6500k or 5000k I always wanted a cob but just haven’t jumped on board yet I have a lec or a CMH, same thing I also have a perfect sun Goliath Led, and a bunch of middle ground Led lights , I retired my 1000w hps my electric is high enough

Well there's my problem right there, running 12x3000k cobs and was running some extra reds for awhile too. Maybe I can run some smaller blue leds to help out during veg to stop the stretch. Luckily for me the plants don't stretch as much under the LEDs.
My current budget doesn't allow for more cobs so will have to make this work for the next few grows!

Back
Top Bottom