Simple Ventilated Door Modification For Closet Grow

PierceStoned

Howdy y'all,
Are you having temperature problems in your walking closet? I sure was! Proper ventilation is absolutely crucial to the health and vitality of the plant that you are trying so hard to cultivate. Unfortunately, I have been reading that a non-insignificant number of growers are okay with temperatures ranging from the mid to upper 90s. Of course the paraphrased argument/question that I invariably see within grow journals is: "Well if cannabis can survive outdoors in temperatures of over 100F why should I be worried about grow space temperatures of above 90?" I don't know about y'all, but here in the lone star state the summers can be brutal often reaching triple digits for weeks at a time. Just because I can survive those dreaded triple digits days does not mean I relish the thought of going out during the middle of the day. In fact, that is pretty much the last thing I want to do in the summer. From my experiences, most strains of cannabis behave in a similar manner. Just because they can survive those 100F conditions does not mean they want to.

I tried everything to mitigate the temperature increases within my small closet, but to no avail. At first I simply left the door to my closet open, but each of my three thermometers read temperatures above 90F with the thermometer closest to my lights reading at over 100F!!! And that temperature reading is with only 3x300 Watt generic LED panels. For my personal growing style these high temperatures (temperatures greater than 90F) are absolutely unacceptable. As growers it is our duty and privilege to give our plants everything that they need to thrive in their environment.

If you are like me and you like the idea of a closet grow, but abhor leaving the door to your closet open then have I got a build for you. This build is a relatively simple door modification that allows you to attach both your exhaust and intake ducting to the top and bottom sections of the door, respectively. Using this method I have successfully brought my average canopy temperature down from 96F to 84F. That is almost a ten degree difference!!!

What you need:
Materials:
1x Donor Door - $32.00

c042b647-1450-4ee5-9353-95bcf292778a_400_compressed.jpg

2x 6 in. Air-Tite Take-Off Duct Connector— $5.96 each

4d65a016-61ba-4bb2-bc64-be207551d902_1000.jpg

2x 12x8 Return Air Vent Grille with Fixed Blades- $8.96 each

f59d17f5-be62-4958-a343-88e025008aa9_400_compressed.jpg

Gorilla Tape or Duct Tape
Tools:
Something to cut two large holes with. I used a jigsaw, but a keyhole saw will work...heck even a drill will work.
Total Cost of Materials : $61.84

Step I: Using the Air-Tite Take off Duct Connectors to trace a 6 inch circle approximately 12 inches from the top and bottom of the donor door.
Step II: Using your drill, jigsaw, or keyhole saw cut the traced circles out. Your donor door will have two six inch holes in it after this step.

Photo_Sep_12_5_06_41_PM.jpg

Step III: If you got the same duct connectors that I did, you will have an adhesive pad on the flat side of the connector. Remove the paper from the adhesive pad and stick the connectors to the inner side of the door. More specifically the side of the door that will be facing the grow box.
Note: If your duct connectors did not come with this adhesive pad then just use the gorilla tape to tape the connector to the door.

Photo_Sep_14_1_27_22_PM.jpg

Step IV: Most of the cheap donor doors that you will find at your local hardware stores are hollow on the inside. This means that you will want to tape around the openings to make sure the air is vented through the vent and not into the door.
Untaped

Photo_Sep_14_1_28_56_PM.jpg

Taped

Photo_Sep_14_1_30_06_PM.jpg

Step V: Flip the door over and take your fixed blade air vent and screw them over the openings that you have made. It is important to note the direction of the vent blades. For the exhaust (top vent) you want the blades to be facing upward, while the grille covering the intake port will be orientated such that the blades face down.
Step VI: Reinstall door and hook up intake and exhaust ducts. Now you can rest easy knowing that your plants are receiving the proper amount of airflow for optimal growth. This should fix most of the temperature issues you are having, but I highly recommend getting a decent inline fan. The duct booster fans simply do not work well as inline fans.

Photo_Sep_14_1_43_13_PM_1_.jpg
Photo_Sep_14_2_42_16_PM.jpg
Photo_Sep_14_2_42_13_PM.jpg

This set up works perfectly with my "Incredibly Simple Carbon Filter For Under $30" setup. But play around with the design and let me know If y'all see any way to make improvements.

Thank y'all so much for stopping by and checking out this simple door ventilation build. This is just a heads up, but I am getting ready to begin my first "official" grow journal using my new grow area and I hope to see some of y'all over there when I begin.
Y'all take it easy!

PierceStoned :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom