Just made my way into the world of COBs

28 Grams

I'm excited, I'm due to start my second grow next week and I just ordered a Triple-COB Kit.

They're VERO 29 Chips, I got two 3500K's and one 3000K -- that should give me a decent spectrum for veg and a awesome spectrum for bloom. I sold my $350 LED light (at a $100 loss) to purchase this kit and I pray that it was a good decision
:Namaste:

Anybody have any advice for a COB beginner? I picked out my color temperature correctly, right? This is for a 5 square foot tent.

On the another site they said
Most customers choose the 3500 K color temperature. This color temperature has been proven by growers to produce the best results in flowering cannabis. The 3500 K color spectrum has a good amount of deep red (620-660 nM) which aids in the flowering stage. 3000 K is also very good for flowering with it's enhanced 660 nM spectral output.

4000 K and 5000 K are good for vegging and also has many applications well suited for young plants.

Heatsink1.jpg
Vero291.jpg

Re: Just made my way into the world of COB's

You don't mention how many watts you plan on running through the chips. If it's 100 watts per chip then yeah, should be a decent amount of light for your tent. Spectrum is fine. I personally wouldn't have sold your old light to buy a new COB light, at this time lighting changes so quickly I would work on the basics and worry about lighting only when absolutely needed.

I built an LED array for my saltwater reef tank a few years back. About 50 LEDs total.
My only piece of advice is to practice, practice and practice soldering before ya actually get into the build. AND, use a good iron.

Be sure to post up a build link. Definitely will check it out.

You don't mention how many watts you plan on running through the chips. If it's 100 watts per chip then yeah, should be a decent amount of light for your tent. Spectrum is fine. I personally wouldn't have sold your old light to buy a new COB light, at this time lighting changes so quickly I would work on the basics and worry about lighting only when absolutely needed.

With that kit you can run up to 185W or 265W depending on the driver. I got the highest amperage driver so I'm pretty sure I that means It'll be drawing 265W from the wall at max (these lights are dimmable), compared to 185W from my old LED light. I'll end up paying about $15 more a month on electricity (rough isn't it?)

I hope it's worth it! It was either this or the Viparspectra 600W or the Mars Reflector 144, both of which I've heard good (and bad) things, and apparently COB's are the way to go...

I built an LED array for my saltwater reef tank a few years back. About 50 LEDs total.
My only piece of advice is to practice, practice and practice soldering before ya actually get into the build. AND, use a good iron.

Be sure to post up a build link. Definitely will check it out.
I got the Poke-In chips so no soldering needed! I've had my hand at soldering in the past and I'm just terrible. With this kit all I need to do I believe is crimp and clamp. I will definitely post a new thread for the build, or maybe post it here, or maybe in the grow journal I'll start.

COBs are better than blurple LEDs, but now you have these quantum boards out which some say are blowing COBs out of the water. I believe we will continue to see a rapid advancement in lighting for the next few years at least.

Just made my way into the world of COB's

Hey there 28grams, you will love them Cob lights. I have the same as you the vero 29 chips with the same spectrum and throughout my whole Grow I didn't even have them turned up but maybe 3/4 of the way.
And that was once it was in flower for almost 10 weeks. Just gota be careful with little ones in veg so as not to burn them. Just start out slowly and increase them as they grow. The yield was a lot better also. I believe I started out at about 24watts. And I kept the lights at 18-20 inches from canopy throughout the whole Grow. Your lights are plenty for that size tent. Hope this helps ya!!

Hello this is my first time here, I'm hoping there is an answer out there to increase the amount of frosting on my plants. Is there any notes that help that? An I don't live in America so brands may not be the same here but many are... Thanks heaps
Baker1053

Hello this is my first time here, I'm hoping there is an answer out there to increase the amount of frosting on my plants. Is there any notes that help that? An I don't live in America so brands may not be the same here but many are... Thanks heaps
Baker1053

I think that alot of it depends on genetics and environmentals. If there is sufficient light available to promote vigorous growth, then the best you can do is control temp and humidity-the rest is in God's hands.

One of the great things about DIY builds is the ability to build a frame to fit YOUR grow space.
I have to grow in a 5x5 closet space so I run 4 buckets along each wall for a total of 8. A pair of 4 array rails cover each bucket perfectly-they can drive as much as 320W/rail but the plants are plenty happy when it's dimmed to 175W. I run 4K on the ends with Angelina's and 3K in the center w/no reflectors. This seems to give me plenty of blue spectrum to promote veg and I added 30W of switched XP-E 660's mounted on the framework to boost flower.
Get creative and build what works for you. Peace

Back
Top Bottom