Homemade Carbon Filter

POTential

I want to try and build a homemade carbon filter using high cfm computer fans. I've seen them online that push over 200cfms and I wondering if that would be enough for a smaller filter. I'm figuring that instead of activated carbon I could use replacement carbon filters. The filter would be only for one plant in flower, with the room at 1'6"x1'8"x3' and I'd be ok with changing it for each grow as I'm sure they don't 'last as long as activated carbon.

You guys think it will work?

^ u got a picture to give me an idea of what your talking about? Whats the cfm for it and is it very loud?

I found some pics myself. I'm still curious though as to what cfm yours is and how loud is while running? It would be in a bedroom.

You have your filter hooked up to a bathroom exhaust fan? I was going to use a 100cfm computer fan. Ain't that bathroom fan a little big and loud?

DSCN442020071209.jpg

It's not loud at all. The 12" filter is on the other side of the wall.

i made a filter copied from someone on this site,he said it cost 50 buck`s so i tried, by the time i paid for the charcoal, that is imposible to find in vancouver it cost me almost a hundred buck`s. 10bucks a pound at pet stores put 5 pounds and its not enough it only lasted about 2 weeks in veg and i can smell it through the filter.is thet filter sheet any good and would i need to double or triple up the filter,got about a 200 cfm fan.

I haven't had time to try and build one yet but after some more research I've decided to take boss's advice and use refillable carbon.

I'm now considering building both to see if it would work. If those sheets aren't too expensive I'll give it a shot.

I also made a home-made filter from plans I found here over a year ago. I had a hard time getting cheap carbon, so I decided to try using crystal kitty litter. I've had this filter over three small plants from veg to flower 4 times through now and I still can't smell anything until I open the door of the cabinet.

The filter was mostly made of venting duct pieces, chicken wire, and pantyhose stretched over the whole assembly. I'll admit though, I priced a similar size filter and it was only $45. I spent about $55 in supplies. But it works well.

^can you post a tutorial?

ok this is for MOOSE

things needed:
2footx3foot of chicken wire
2x cooker hood crbon filter pads from any good hardware store
grease filter paper usually comes in a kit with the filter pads
duct tape
large needle and thread

ok first off you are going to decide on the size you want!!?

then you are going to gut the chicken wire into a square that masures 2 x 2 feet
now roll the cicken wire into a cylinder the size of your fan eg 100mm=4inch
then tie or bend over the ends of the wire locking it in place,if you like you can thread the edge
now roll the carbon filter pads around the wire tubeand use the needle and thread to sew it up

ok now u have a wire mesh tube with the carbon pads wraped around it

take the other pad and cut a circle out of it
this will be used as the end of the tube sew it up as before
ok now use the tape to wrap around the end of the tube that will be connected to your fan which will give a nice seel

ok now take the grease filter paper and do the same thing the paper will act as the dust filter and the carbon will remove odors
after u have applied the paper u will want to use duct tape to seel the edges of all joins.!!!!

easy ay and will only cost around £10-15 hope this helps ya all!!!!!!!!

Another thought

If one were to double up two computer fans would it double or at least increase the cfm? They would be placed front to back to allow the air to flow fluently.

The carbon that your needing to use will have to be "Active Carbon." If you've ever bought a filter you'll remember that the filters are sealed in bags. This is because active carbon will keep cleaning air until they're no good. When they're not in use you'll have to seal the filter in a heavy air tight bag.

EXAMPLE - An auto body painter wears a resperator when he/she's painting. The carbon filters will clean the air. When they can smell the fumes they know they need new filters. When the resperator isn't being used it's in a sealed bag so it stops cleaning the air.

Use the right carbon!!! You'll need ACTIVE CARBON.

ok this is for MOOSE

things needed:
2footx3foot of chicken wire
2x cooker hood crbon filter pads from any good hardware store
grease filter paper usually comes in a kit with the filter pads
duct tape
large needle and thread

ok first off you are going to decide on the size you want!!?

then you are going to gut the chicken wire into a square that masures 2 x 2 feet
now roll the cicken wire into a cylinder the size of your fan eg 100mm=4inch
then tie or bend over the ends of the wire locking it in place,if you like you can thread the edge
now roll the carbon filter pads around the wire tubeand use the needle and thread to sew it up

ok now u have a wire mesh tube with the carbon pads wraped around it

take the other pad and cut a circle out of it
this will be used as the end of the tube sew it up as before
ok now use the tape to wrap around the end of the tube that will be connected to your fan which will give a nice seel

ok now take the grease filter paper and do the same thing the paper will act as the dust filter and the carbon will remove odors
after u have applied the paper u will want to use duct tape to seel the edges of all joins.!!!!

easy ay and will only cost around £10-15 hope this helps ya all!!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to have to give this a go. Will fit my budget nicely :laughtwo:
Thanks mate! :smokin:

+reps

Back
Top Bottom