Home Made LED Panels

I guess after looking at ways to grow and seeing threads on using Leds for lighting.
I looked at 168 led panels, supermotojoe setup and Irie prycon lights.
DYI Panels

First was led selection. Since they come in all sizes 3mm to 10mm I chose 10mm.
The 10mm is the biggest bullet size with a big lens without going to 1 watt.
Next I found some leds that had a 70,000mcd over the 5,000mcd led found in most 168 led panels.
Since the leds also come with the resistors needed for a 12vdc supply.
I will be making 12" x 12" panels of 125 Leds. 72 red and 40 blue leds like moto's panels.

I am hoping for 9,000 lumens per panel with a 30 watt power requirement.
Led order has been placed in HK hope to start this weekend

Pan4

Sounds interesting cant wait to see what you come up with. I will be keeping up with this post and good growing.

Hi yall.

The LED order has been shipped from Hong Kong. I ordered 200 blue and 300 red
this will be enough for 4 ea 12" x 12" panels and 1 40 LED Veg panel. Each 12" will use 2.24 amps @ 12vdc so I can use old power packs or a car battery or an old computer power supply.
As far as lumen's go this has been a chore to calculate. 125 point sources a 15 degree lens a 24" focal point you get the picture. Thanks to excel this is 9400 lumen. With 4 panels this should get about 36,000 lumen's. The veg panel will produce 3300 lumen's but have not laid out the panel size yet. I was going to build my veg cabinet but a snow storm has stopped me in my tracks. Crap snow already!!!!

Pan4

Racefan I am looking for a new way to grow. This will also work on 12vdc a good thing for solar or wind power. I did a lot of research into the panels and leds. I found that most leds used in those panels 3,000 mcd red and 5,000 mcd blue. Also have to look at the lens of most leds have wider diffuser 30 to 45 degrees . The led I have chosen are 70,000 mcd with a 15 degree diffuser that's 439 lumens at the focal point and 303 lumens at focal point times 2. Since this is no box here I will be free to explore the possibilities.

Pan4

off topic but notable - Re: your sig: Have you ever broke your scale and had to weigh your weed at the local produce stand?

Nope, but back in the day we used the postal pkg. scale at the US Post Office on the first floor of the Federal Bldg.....didn't dawn on us to use a grocers scale - but all was uneventful, went well, was an incredible rush, and makes a great story to 'tell the grandkids...'

Racefan I am looking for a new way to grow. This will also work on 12vdc a good thing for solar or wind power. I did a lot of research into the panels and leds. I found that most leds used in those panels 3,000 mcd red and 5,000 mcd blue. Also have to look at the lens of most leds have wider diffuser 30 to 45 degrees . The led I have chosen are 70,000 mcd with a 15 degree diffuser that's 439 lumens at the focal point and 303 lumens at focal point times 2. Since this is no box here I will be free to explore the possibilities.

Pan4
All I can say is...good luck and keep us updated.

hey man great effort with the led light cant wait to see an assembled panel or some operational shots right ...keep us in formed i am very interested in the solar aspect of led light so hook em up grow something and show us some results please ...im very interested in this and hope to see more

I think that it will be the only way to go once Obama introduces his carbon credits after he signs the Kyoto Protocol. Then there will not be much of a choice addapt or die lol.

I guess after looking at ways to grow and seeing threads on using Leds for lighting.
I looked at 168 led panels, supermotojoe setup and Irie prycon lights.
DYI Panels

First was led selection. Since they come in all sizes 3mm to 10mm I chose 10mm.
The 10mm is the biggest bullet size with a big lens without going to 1 watt.
Next I found some leds that had a 70,000mcd over the 5,000mcd led found in most 168 led panels.
Since the leds also come with the resistors needed for a 12vdc supply.
I will be making 12" x 12" panels of 125 Leds. 72 red and 40 blue leds like moto's panels.

I am hoping for 9,000 lumens per panel with a 30 watt power requirement.
Led order has been placed in HK hope to start this weekend

Pan4

looking forward to seeing what u come with :ganjamon:

Hi Yall.
I was hoping to get the leds today but nope. Got the tracking info it left New York on the 7th. Thats weird Hong Kong to New York then back to the west.
Got the frames cheap one's at wally world. I been thinking on how to aim 500 leds ?

Pan4

I'm looking forward to this- if those make as many lumens as alleged, then I have a feeling they might do well for you. best of luck man.

Hi yall!

Finally getting to work on led panel.
119a.jpg

This is sample of the Led I will be using Very brite and little dispersion.
I have a pattern to post later.
led_build_001a.jpg

Board and pattern
led_build_002a.jpg

Pattern taped to board ready to drill
led_build_003a.jpg

Partial constructed board
led_build_006a.jpg

Pan4

Hi Yall!

More on the Led Panel Build
led_build_001a1.jpg

All the parts are mounted.
I am using the lead from the leds for the +12v power rail. The positive lead is the longest of the two this is the one to use. The flat side of led is the negative this needs to be connected to one end the supplied resistors, I used the resistor lead and connected it to the led negitive. Be careful to use the right resistor blue leds and red leds both operate at different voltages so have different resistors.
led_build_003a1.jpg

led_build_006a1.jpg

The other end of the resistors connect to ground. I used some 24ga speaker wire for this.
led_build_007a.jpg

led_build_008a.jpg

Finished the wiring
led_build_011a.jpg

Front side
led_build_012a.jpg

The Walmart frame
led_build_013a.jpg

Completed unit in frame
led_build_015a.jpg

Powering up
led_build_016a.jpg

For power I am useing an old computer power supply for the 12v it has 13amps thats good for even more panels.
Well off to fix the errors 2 leds , make more panels and go to the test site.

see ya soon
Pan4

Hi Yall!

The led panel works fine and has moved to a new location for testing. One thing is the leds I ordered have to narrow of light beam I should have ordered 30deg instead of 12deg.
Back to testing the next panel. This one will be 100 leds in a spot light. To further the research I have 3w 70lumen Luxicon to test as soon as they arrive.
Another slow air mail from Hong Kong. I will also be testing some 1w leds. I wish that I still had access to SMT equipment.
Part of the reason for spending time and money for led research is to make a totally portable lighting system. One that will work from a solar or wind generator
without the need for an AC inverter. If Obama signs the Kyoto protocol then we will concerned with carbon credits.
I still have to post the drill template for the last build. I will also have a thread on the experimental grow room.

Pan4

Hi Yall!

All my 10mm leds panels are completed they perform good so far. But alas despite my careful scrutiny of the data sheets they still are not brite enough.
So back to the drawing board this time I will be using 3w luxeon leds 140lumen red. I will make these into a red bank for flowering. Well back to work all I will have to put this on the back burner until the hollidays are over.

Pan4

Back
Top Bottom