My Toadstool air deodorizer project for $20

UglyMuppet

i was going to build a cheep carbon filter but was sidetracked into trying out building a deodorizer instead.

i took some ideas flying around the net and while walking around the local Target store yesterday i put together an air deodorizer.

it was cheep too... i bet i have under $20 in parts not including the Ona gel.

i got a small bucket from the $1 section and a small fan that was about $17-18. so maybe a lil over $20 with tax but still cheep.....

i took the small red bucket and burned small holes around the bucket. i started about an inch to inch and a half up from the bottom and went up about 3 inches. i felt that the more holes higher up the bucket would not let the airflow over the solution very effectively so i limited the amount of holes in the bucket.

i then removed the base from the small fan. just popped the covers at the pivot point and unscrewed the 2 screws holding the arm.

i pored a litle bit of Ona gel into the bottom of the bucket added distilled water until the level was about a quarter of an inch from the bottom holes.

the fan is placed on top of the bucket and the power cord is pulled through one of the holes in the top of the bucket. nothing is screwed or taped. the fan just sits on top and even on the lowest setting it pulls air in through the holes in the side of the bucket over the Ona/water solution and blown out the top.
i used the fresh linen sent gel but i should have picked up the non scented stuff... the sent from the Ona gel solution is strong and the odor from my plants are nonexistent. i would use just a little bit less of gel next time i refill it.
i will post up how long this works for.

so ... now onto the pictures.....

first.... the holes... i used a soldering iron for this...

toad_stool_project_005.JPG

the power cord is run through the handle hole in the bucket.....

toad_stool_project_004.JPG

add the Ona/water solution.....

toad_stool_project_003.JPG

place the fan on top of the bucket after removing the arm from the fan..... i pulled the base/arm from the fan for a clean look... I'm not sure if the fan will still fit with the base still attached....

toad_stool_project_002.JPG

plug it in and let it rip... the fan i am using has 3 speeds and i feel that the holes in the bucket can not support the airflow from the draw of the fan on any speed higher than the lowest setting... but trust me... it is more than enough.

toad_stool_project_001.JPG

i would say i used just a couple of tablespoons full of Ona gel and rest is distilled water. just that worked for almost a week before the water evaporated. i added some more water and another teaspoon of Ona and it is going good. i would recommend the odorless Ona but that is just my opinion. the fresh linen is somewhat overpowering.

Very cool! I have been looking at ways for control....I have a room right next my central air intake that will be my girls room. I am going to pop a canister of Ona behind the filter and pop holes in the top one at a time as needed for intensity of odor..House should smell fresh and clean.

I built one today. I woke up to a very strong smell in my place, so the urgency factor increased quickly. They didn't have any Linen scent so I got the normal one that smells a little minty, and reminds me of urinal cakes. Sounds nasty, but there's no pee on them, so it's not that bad. Anyway, picked up a 6 dollar bucket that was 10" at the top and tapered down to the bottom, put a 1" thick band of holes around it that I made with a drill about half way down. Put in 2 tablespoons of the gel and 1/2 gallon of water, and then plunked a 9" fan on top pushing air into the bucket.

Immediate results.

There's absolutely zero smell in my place now, and the room itself barely has an odour.

Wee! Thanks for the tips, man.

What brand or model # is the fan you bought??? If you noted it, I didn't see it so please let me know and I will build that same setup! Thanks for Idea....

Dude,
Good Job!
People here have done so much, with so little, with enormous imagination to save bucks, build rooms, gardens, things like light setups, systems, out of boxes, plastic buckets, pails and many elbows and foil, nets, boxes, wires, cable ties, scroggs out of napkin holders, Elmer's glue and a prayer, et,et, and and still produce great results. And they say we are slow and unimaginative....
:goodjob:

Fin

Nice setup. Ona is some strong stuff. Almost too strong depending on the space and your sensitivity to the odor. I haven't seen anything that can touch it.
I was thinking on the bucket you could go either way, lots of small or less bigger holes. All your looking for is air to be pulled up by the fan.
Just the lazy in me thinking.

So the idea is to draw the ambient air through the bucket along with whatever Ona smell/air is also being pulled by the fan? Or is the goal to run the ambient air through the Ona solution? The former seems like it is just a masking mechanism where was the latter would actually filter the ambient smell out.

I guess I need a little clarification on how this device works and/or what it intends to accomplish. Thanks for this though, seems like a great investment and easy to setup!

No more soil moist. Take any brand of diaper, just no fresh scent ones. Cut a 2" Square out of the middle, then empty the contents in a bag. Once you pass the first two layers you should start seeing cotton, and white particles. Try manipulating the contents of the bag into seperate corners, cotton and dust. The dust is super absorbent granulates, just mix a tsp in with your soil, and it absorbs so much more water. Prolly go a little over the first watering of adding it, like let the water go down, then add a bit more. That way the dust doesn't absorb all the water from the first feeding, and your plant can get some. But I think this is a bit irrelevant, +1 To the deodorizer idea, I will for sure be incorporating it into a project.

Back
Top Bottom