5 gallon bucket w/ lid
air pump w/ tubing
air stone
sub pump w/tubing(not pictured, oops)
reversible zip-ties
3 inch net basket
CD spool lid
DSC001931.JPG

First, I cut a hole in the bucket lid so the net basket will rest inside.
DSC00195.JPG

DSC001941.JPG

Next, I drill three holes in the CD spool lid. I use the flanges as reference points so I know all the holes are evenly spaced.
DSC00197.JPG

Then I drill three more holes in the bucket lid. Once again I use the spool flanges as references. Make the holes a little further out though. Take a look at what I mean.
DSC001981.JPG

After the holes are drilled, stick three of the reversible zip-ties and put them through the spool lid like so:
DSC00199.JPG

Take three more zip ties and cut off the ends that zip.
DSC00200.JPG

Feed the zip ties from the spool lid and run them through the bucket lid and secure them with the zip tie ends.
DSC00201.JPG

DSC00202.JPG

Next step is to attach the air stone. Drill a small hole in the center of the spool lid and stick the end of the air stone through so it sticks out the bottom. Then attach the air tubing.
DSC00205.JPG

Now, drill a hole in the side of the spool lid for the pump tubing to feed the water to the spool lid. Then attach the tube.
DSC00208.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

I like to leave enough tubing so you have enough slack to lift the lid to check out whats happening underneath while keeping the pump submerged. You could ruin the pump if its running and its not in water. But we all know this.
DSC00207.JPG

Always leave room for the power cord and air tubing to hang over the bucket without being pinched by the lid when you snap it to the bucket.
DSC00210.JPG

Here's what it should look like.
DSC00212.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

There are a few things that I really like about this set-up. First, you are able to precisely control the water level at all times as long as there is always enough water to submerge the pump obviously. Since the zip-ties are reversible, you can adjust the spool lid height for the different stages of growth depending on how long the roots are. I mix my nutrient solution 2 gallons at a time and change it every week. I find it a very efficient way to get the most out of your nutrients. Next, the roots are injected directly with oxygen. Roots like that I have noticed. Another, my personal favorite, is the "Willy Wonka Chocolate Waterfall Effect" from the spool lid overflowing back into the bucket. This not only oxygenates the water, but constantly stirs the nutrients and keeps the water moving. With this setup and the 400 watt mh and hps lights I have, I documented a 7cm growth increase in one day! I don't know the strand, but it wasn't anything special.
Questions, Comments, Suggestions? I would love to hear them.
Thanks!

You would think so but its not the case. I say this because I tried this once and the plant grew almost of 3 feet tall in a month of vegging. Roughly around the height I am aiming for on my next grow. I don't know however how much bigger you could get the plant after that. I would keep lowering the basket and the roots followed. Almost like I was stretching them out. I am guessing the humidity inside the bucket was enough for the hanging roots to survive. I wouldn't try this bucket if you are aiming for anything bigger because I don't know if it would work.

OK so you guys might be right. I have only grown one plant with this setup so far and even though the bucket didn't seem to inhibit the plants growth at all, I don't know how it would hold up to the heavyweights I want to grow. I was thinking of White Widow, Northern Lights and now maybe the Medussa after checking out Dank's grow. No surprises there. I began experimented with other setups but that time came around when the summer rolled around so I cant say if it was because of just the temperatures (I was in AZ at the time) or if the setup just didn't work, or both so I have been on hiatus until now.

Very cool setup. How often is the watter running and not, 15/15?

Thats right Brett, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. I found the perfect timer for that setup at Petsmart in the fish department for 8 clams. Anything more than 15 minutes could be too much. Could dry the little girls out.

That is crazy. The last plant I grew was larger than 26" but only a fraction of the root mass you have. The plant was full and bushy too so I didn't think anything of it. Back to the drawing board lol. Do you aim for your water level to be just below the basket? I came up with this design to maintain a high water level during the early stages while minimizing my use of my nutrients. I guess after a while I can ditch the spool lid and go DWC like you. (Thats what you are doing right? I'm not sure) How far along is your plant? Impressive.

have any of you used an ultrasonic fogger/mist generator in 5 gal buckets with DWC for an aeroponic effect -- DWC/ aeroponic hybrid ?

I have not tried that. Sounds interesting though. Are you thinking of trying it yourself or are you currently doing it? If you are, I would love to see some pics if you have any.

have any of you used an ultrasonic fogger/mist generator in 5 gal buckets with DWC for an aeroponic effect -- DWC/ aeroponic hybrid ?

if you look in Herban Legend's grow journal, somewhere on the first page of threads, then in maybe the second page, depending on your view settings, i think he's using it.

maybe you can ask

One common misconception many people have about this bucket is that it is a DWC bucket. It's not because it wouldn't work. The inner bucket needs to be lowered as the plants roots grow, keeping the ends of the roots submerged, leaving the rest of the roots suspended in air. It's almost a hybrid of aero and hydro IMO. If you're looking on going the DWC route, I would talk to Dank, because that dude seems to have that technique down pretty good as the pictures show. In the end, its all about having fun and being creative...and BUDS! haha

Interesting

Damn that looks about what I need. As soon as my thumb gets a little greener i'm going to have to try it out.

Damn Shaggy I was reading your sig and got that song stuck in my head. Now I have to go find it so I can listen to it while I sing it to my girls.

Rick James always a classic

Back
Top Bottom