How do you fill and change your ebb and flow reservoirs?

Pinktiger777

My grow space is far from outside.
And midway thru my first grow, I need to change water. I know, I should have thought about this ahead of time. LOL. I ordered an aquarium clean and fill system by Python, but I wondered, before I do that: Is there a simple way to get the old water out, clean the unit, and refill it?

Thanks to all in advance!

:peacetwo:

I have a 20 gallon res. with a 3x3 table and I got a utility pump ( 320 GPH Portable Transfer Water Pump with Metal Connectors for Standard 3/4" Garden ) that came with a 6 foot hose That I drop in the res and run another hose to the tub to drain it. They run around $70.00 but well worth it for my old ass. I then got 4 ea. 5 gallon water containers that I fill up from my R. O. system and use a battery operated transfer pump to put the water back into the res. I really don't worry about cleaning between water changes until the grow is done. Guess the z7 helps with that.

Happy growing.

What I finally did, is use the water pump to force water out of the reservoir with a hose, and run it outside. But now I have the Aquarium drain and fill system, and it works like a charm.
Thanks for your input, improvise and dj1714

For emergencies - or if you're cheap ;) - you can get an el cheapo manual gizmo at the hardware store that isused for moving kerosene from a fuel can to a kerosene heater's reservoir. It's just a simple siphon type thing with a squeeze bulb to start the flow. They will not pump uphill or long distances, but can still be useful.

If you're moving to a container that is at a lower level or at least one in which the level of the liquid is lower, you can always go the redneck route and just use a short length of some kind of hose, lol. If you don't want to suck on the end to get the flow started, you can place the entire hose into the solution so that it fills up (and the air leaves), cover one end, place the covered end in the second container (example: a five-gallon bucket on the floor) and uncover it.

I'll add a bit more information now that I've changed my method on how I drain my ebb and flow.
420-magazine-mobile2030277707.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1911709847.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1794345422.jpg
No more playing around and making a mess when I drain my res.. lol

Very nice!!! I like your idea of that pump better than the utility pump I use that uses 2 hoses. Can you let us know the actual size and gpm? Thanks for sharing. This is what I'm using.

pump12.jpg

Thanks, I was wondering if you use a cover on your reservoir and will it fit through the access lid. My lid is 4" x 6".
That's why I was wondering what the actual dimensions of the pump.

Back
Top Bottom