Temporal Lobe Epilepsy by Candi Wernz

Julie Gardener

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy by Candi Wernz​

I'm an 18-year-old starting my second year of college. I was given a scholarship for one full year instead of going to my senior year of high school. I live with my father and best friend who both use. Before I lived with my father I lived with my mother and stepfather who both used as well. The first time I ever tried pot it wasn't because of peer pressure from my friends. It was actually my parents' weed and I did it because of curiosity.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. I have a combination of partial complex and grand mal seizures. I've had the partial complex for about 8-10 years now and grand mals for a year. Around last August I was advised to stop smoking and take medications. But I ceased taking medications, seeing that it wasn't working for me, and increased my pot use. I only had one grand mal seizure in my last cluster, and no partial complex.

I've been a straight A student (OK, nobody's perfect I have had some B's). When I was on the medication that was prescribed to me by my doctor (Neurontin, and Topamax) I had unpleasant side effects, such as lack of concentration and understanding, loss of motor skills, loss of balance, numbness in my limbs, nausea, etc. But now that I smoke pot, the only side effect is where to get it and how much it costs. It's a high price to pay for something that controls my seizures so well.

Source: Comments and Observations

Back
Top Bottom