Another Warrior Is Taken - Sister Somayah

DeputyDog

It seems that in the last two years, we have lost some prominent members of our "Movement." On Thanksgiving Day, we lost another hero. Sister Somayah Kambui was known in the community as one Hell of an Activist. A former Black Panther member, and head of the Crescent Alliance Self Help For Sickle Cell.

I remember going to her house in South Central Los Angeles, and saw the damage done by a recent "Raid" by L.A.'s finest. It seem that her politics weighed heavy with local law enforcement, and they used any excuse to break down her door.

I remember Sister Somayah's "Hemp Oil" cookies, which she sold at the "Yes on 215" rallies at the Federal Building in Los Angeles, (Westwood). And I remember her greetings when she saw you again after it had been some time. She was truly one of a kind, a determined spirit who would not settle for no as an answer, and worked to instill the virtures of cannabis up until her passing. Since we are close in age, I appreciate her struggles for I too marched in Washington D.C. on several occassions. We protested everything from the war in Vietnam to the implementation of "Civil Rights." The movement has lost a true activist, the community has lost a great friend, and we have all lost a friend, a teacher, a gentle spirit, and a true hero. RIP Doctor Todd, Doctor Mike, Sister Jane, Laura, Dr. Jay,
She Who Remembers, and Sister Somayah Kambui, it was an absolute pleasure to know you, it was a pleasure to share in your wonderful recipies, and it was an honor to call you friend. :-(

Here's the info on Sister Somayah's memorial celebration of her life:

The Queen Negus

Somayah Kambui Harawese Rhanea Peaches Shurumi Moore-Khaliq

Sunrise: 5 April 1950 Sunset: 28 November 2008

She Met Marcus Garvey in the Whirlwind

58 Years of this life

38 Years in Service to her people

Black Panther Party for Self Defense

Crescent Alliance Self Help For Sickle Cell

Nigritian Kief Society

Community Activist

Successfully helped Free Geronimo Ji Jaga Pratt

Pioneer

ALWAYS In the Eye of the Struggle

Ile Sheshat was re-established on her watch.

She treated sick people all over the country

with her hands on assistance, advice,

and products.

Established the first Weusi Oil Press

Celebrating of Her Life

December 8, 2008 10:00 AM til 12:00 Noon

Harrison Ross Mortuary

4601 So. Crenshaw Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90008

Repast:

Celebration Continues

1:00 PM til 6:00 PM