Sister Somayah - Fallen Warrior

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
It saddens me deeply to announce that Sister Somayah passed on Thanksgiving 2008.

I feel honored to have walked the streets of Compton with her in the last Marijuana March of her life. She was a true Cannabis Warrior and will be missed dearly. - Rob Griffin 420 Magazine Founder

DSCN5475.JPG

Sister Somayah Speaks At The Compton Marijuana March
More photos of the event can be found HERE.

More about her is on her site, please drop by and sign her guest book with condolences.
Sister Somayah Kambui's Hemp Is Hep - Crescent Alliance Self Help For Sickle Cell

nayercc2.JPG

Sister Somayah Kambui Has Passed

Sister Somayah Kambui has passed. Just about Thanksgiving time. Most of you never heard of her, I'm sure. But just as everyone else has a story of value, so did she. She was an extraordinarily courageous woman and the person who brought awareness of marijuana's medical help for sickle-cell to the world.

I'm sure most of you know that I used to work at High Times magazine. The bulk of my work there dealt with the hard news of the drug war--medical marijuana, mandatory sentencing, forfeiture, dirty cops/government agents, that sort of thing. There were also some fun travel stories, fascinating Peyote stories and so forth, but my real job was to work the hard news with a great team. It was Steve Hager, the visionary editor over there who put me on those things and let me run with them.

Well, you work troubled corners you run into troubled people. I'd get collect calls day and night from prisoners begging for intervention in their cases. I'd get crank calls from an occasional law enforcement officer who'd been found dirty and somehow blamed it on us. And then I had a series of calls with someone I later learned was Sister Somayah Kambui.

She first got in touch with me in the middle of the night nearly 20 years ago. The phone rang, I answered, and someone was screaming at me. I hung up.
Two weeks later or so it happened again.
And again.

I kept trying to find out who the person was and what they wanted, but all I got were names hurled at me. I had no idea what I'd done or to whom I'd done it. But someone was sure angry with me.

It probably took six months before I could get her to slow down and take a breath and tell me what as wrong, and why she had to keep waking me at 3 AM and 4 AM just to curse me until I hung up.

She said she called when the pain from her sickle-cell anemia got unbearable. If she was going to suffer, others were too. And as I was white and sickle-cell only affects African Americans, and also because I wrote for High Times on medical-marijuana, she took my not writing about sickle-cell as a racist thing. Therefore I had to pay with her tirades.

I told her I knew nothing about sickle-cell--didn't even know what it was, and so surely didn't know marijuana could help.

Then she schooled me. She had me look up articles, call hospitals to see how it was treated, that sort of thing. I forget most of what I learned, but the gist of it is that sickle-cell is a condition in which normally round or oblong red blood cells take on the shape of a sickle, and hook on to each other. When enough hook on they can clog up around the places where limbs meet, causing unbearable pain. The standard treatment most hospitals give is morphine three times a week. Or at least it was back then. People like Sister Somayah would go to her local hospital, get a small cup of morphine and drink it, then be told to come back in two days for another. And people like Sister Somayah, a military veteran who had spent I think 9 years in the army, became government junkies. "I couldn't do anything on the morph," she told me. "And neither can a million other people. That's why you see so many middle aged and older black folk sitting on stoops looking like junkies. They are junkies. They're US government junkies."

And that wasn't good enough for her. So she took her campaign to my stoop and despite being thick about it, I was able to investigate and discovered that she was right about the morphine at city hospitals. Of course, it didn't have to be that way. What was needed, aside from a cure, was a simple vasodilator. Like marijuana. Something that would simply open up the blood vessels and allow the hooked together cells to move on down the line. And so we began to print stories on that issue. And we discovered there were a lot of African Americans who'd already discovered that marijuana eased the symptoms and allowed them to hold jobs, and that that was much better than being a government junkie hooked on morphine.

And I hope some docs got it and that one day the Feds will get it too. If they do it's because of the work of Sister Somayah.

And that's the part of her story that I knew. I'm sure there was more, but it wasn't my business.

I'm guessing she's arguing with St. Pete right about now. And I'm going to bet she gets in as well. Good for you Sister. Good for you Sister Somayah Kambui.

By Peter Gorman
Award-winning investigative journalist (and dad) Peter Gorman has spent more than 20 years tracking down stories from the streets of Manhattan to the slums of Bombay. Specializing in Drug War issues, he is credited as a primary journalist in the medical marijuana and hemp movements, as well as in property forfeiture reform. His work has appeared in over 100 national and international magazines and newspapers.

YouTube - Los Angeles Global Marijuana March 2008

Sister Somayah At Global Marijuana March '08 Gathering Point

Another Warrior Is Taken​

It seems that in the last two years, we have lost some prominent members of our "Movement." On Thanksgiving Day, we lost another hero. Sister Somayah Kambui was known in the community as one Hell of an Activist. A former Black Panther member, and head of the Crescent Alliance Self Help For Sickle Cell.

I remember going to her house in South Central Los Angeles, and saw the damage done by a recent "Raid" by L.A.'s finest. It seem that her politics weighed heavy with local law enforcement, and they used any excuse to break down her door.

I remember Sister Somayah's "Hemp Oil" cookies, which she sold at the "Yes on 215" rallies at the Federal Building in Los Angeles, (Westwood). And I remember her greetings when she saw you again after it had been some time. She was truly one of a kind, a determined spirit who would not settle for no as an answer, and worked to instill the virtures of cannabis up until her passing. Since we are close in age, I appreciate her struggles for I too marched in Washington D.C. on several occassions. We protested everything from the war in Vietnam to the implementation of "Civil Rights." The movement has lost a true activist, the community has lost a great friend, and we have all lost a friend, a teacher, a gentle spirit, and a true hero. RIP Doctor Todd, Doctor Mike, Sister Jane, Laura, Dr. Jay,
She Who Remembers, and Sister Somayah Kambui, it was an absolute pleasure to know you, it was a pleasure to share in your wonderful recipies, and it was an honor to call you friend.

Source

You can learn more about Sister Somayah in our News Archives:
Woman Wins Medical Pot Case
LA PROP 215 DEFENDANT SOMAYAH AQUITTED

The US Government should overcome its own "denial" with respect to Medicinal Cannabis, which can serve as a safe alternative to many pharmaceutical chemicals on the market. I believe it is very positive that the President acknowledges the "validity" of this debate. Whenever the validity of the debate is recognized--, such a "recognition" invariably implies that our side has a "valid argument"; this being so, it follows that our side (in favor of Cannabis/Medicinal Cannabis Legalization) has a very real possibility of winning this "perfectly legitimate debate", for otherwise it would not be a "debate". For example, to even suggest that Cannabis Plant has no medicinal properties is not even a "rational" thing to do; as a "recreational" substance, Cannabis is incomparably safer than alcohol! Few people even know that one out of five people in Britain are expected to live to 100 years old, while Cannabis consumption in Britain is the highest in Europe. Look at Canada where the Cannabis "laws" are much more "liberal" than in the United States, yet the criminality, and especially violent crime, are much lower than in this country. And if all this were not enough, it is scientific--ally proven that Cannabis use (as opposed to alcohol use) suppresses violent urges and behaviors. All this is true even if the President is "personally opposed" to legalization (at least for now). But we cannot sit on our butts and passively expect positive developments to occur. We must participate actively, write comments at the news articles, write to politician--s, sign petitions, register to vote, etc. I specifically urge all the young people to talk to their parents and grandparents and educate them about Cannabis vs. alcohol and hard drugs. As the logical evidence in our favor inexorably accumulate--s, the "qualitative shift" will occur in our common consciousness, and we will win this "perfectly legitimate--" debate!

Back
Top Bottom