Foilar Spraying Or Foilar Feeding

CaneyeBus

Hello 420 community!

I'm a bit befuddled about the two terms in question here.

Foilar Spraying & Foilar feeding

Although they may be one in the same (as spraying anything on the plant and it absorbing it would constitute "feeding" in plant applications), I've seen a myriad of posts on the topics only to get even more confused.

my first question is as follows:
1. When u spray/mist your plants with a nutrient solution ie.GH,AN, etc... i take it that means you are actually foilar spraying/misting & feeding your babies. Do you just spray and not water your plants if you are feeding them the nutes when u mist?

I know plants absorb the spray/mist faster thru their leaves. 2.So, is this only used as a "quick fix" method if any nute issues arise?

Note: I am using the hempy method with 100% perlite and Oc+ as the only nute.

3. Is there a foilar spray that could use epsom salts and molasses as a supplement? If so may i please have the recipe?

Note: I have foilar misted my babies judiciously with just 6.0 adjusted tap water that was left out for about 30 hours.

4. Can the black strap molasses be used in hempy? If so, how do I go about diluting it to make it more suitable for the hempy environment?

Thanks in advance to all who respond. Your opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.!!!!:peacetwo:

I don't know about the hempy, but DO NOT use molasses as a foliar application!

DD

1) When u spray/mist your plants with a nutrient solution ie.GH,AN, etc... i take it that means you are actually foilar spraying/misting & feeding your babies. Do you just spray and not water your plants if you are feeding them the nutes when u mist? I know plants absorb the spray/mist faster thru their leaves.

- Correct, foliar spray or foliar feed are the same thing, unless maybe referring to a foliar spray of a pesticide. Foliar feedings are great because as you mentioned the plant can absorb the nutrients much easier. Typically 95% is taken in foliar while only 25% is taken in normal feedings via the roots. I would foliar a few days after a normal feeding, while the soil is still moist but not drenched or foliar a few days before a normal feeding. It's important to remember that because it sucks up the nutes so much more in a foliar you can burn your plant really easy if you do not dilute correctly. Check your nutes for foliar mixture instructions otherwise go with what it recommends and cut it in half.

2) So, is this only used as a "quick fix" method if any nute issues arise?

- It's not only used as a quick solution for deficiencies, it is great during veg, and possibly two weeks into flower. Another great thing about foliar is giving a spray with a beneficial tea as it has tons of great microbials and fungus. If you foliar with good tea it basically occupies the plant with good fungus helping the plant avoid bad fungus (powdery mildew, mold, etc).

3) Is there a foilar spray that could use epsom salts and molasses as a supplement? If so may i please have the recipe?

- Molasses is typically 15 ml per gallon. For a foliar I would probably use like 5 ml per gal.

4) Can the black strap molasses be used in hempy? If so, how do I go about diluting it to make it more suitable for the hempy environment?

- Pretty sure the answer above covers this as well. I don't see why you couldn't use it in hempy. 1 TBS per gal and your good.

A very diluted foliar spray. 5 ml per gal shouldn't clog the stomata, and if it did just wipe it clean.

But still, to what purpose?

Molasses is to feed the beneficial bacteria in the soil, it would serve no purpose in a foliar spray and GB is correct, it would probably clog the stomata.

DD

Hmmm... sorry I dont see the point. Too much extremly huge molecules in the Molasses. I wouldnt do it. Appart from that I cant think of a noticeable difference that 5ml/gal could do. Id rather go for "Liquid Light" or in case you have to save money Id go for Hesi SuperVit as foilar spray.

Also molasses attracks bugs like hell. No... I try alot but not molasses as foilar spray.

I cant tell you all ancient secrets of molasses lol only my own expiriences.

I always try to look at things a bit like a scientist. Molasses does 4 things that are interesting for us:
-Improving bacteria/fungi in the soil
-giving lots of trace minerals
-providing a source of medium-long carbohydrates
-providing some sugar (short carbs)

So molasses helps in vegetative growth, flowering and ripening. The trick is, just like with every nute, to use the right dosage.
In Veg dont try to rush my seedlings with ANY nutes (apart from HESI root complex). I wait until the growth is "spurting" and then ad the molasses to support the plant. SO in vegi I want the trace minerals, the effect on the soil and the mid-long carbs. Id say give like 1 big spoon on 4L/1gal twice a week. Dont use it everyday you can "over sugar" your medium just like you can "oversalt" it. Dont overdose it, it can fry the plants...

Here are my plants after 9 days veg, I hope it ilustrates what I mean. See how small they are. Why should I give them anything when they still have very small roots. Any nutes that I would give now would only get stuck in the soil and ad up over time. 9 days in Veg:
DSCI25561.JPG

7 days later the plants have changed. The produced enough roots and leaves to reliably suck up a days´dose of watering in 24h. Until now no nutes were given. First and second molasses feeding happened after this picture. Idea was to support the spurting growth by adding some med-long carbs that the plant would have to have made on her own by photosynthesis. 16 days in veg:
11084.JPG

22 days in veg after 2 molasses feeding (together with an every day feeding of root complex) the plants grow very fast and strong. The whole feeding was absorbed in 24h each time. Now I allow the soil and the plants to process all the molasses Ive given. Next feeding in probably 3 days.
22 days in veg after feeding molasses:
DSCI2791.JPG

Hope that helps ^^

Simple: Any organic molasses based on sugar cane. And by organic I mean that its sulphur free and has no other additives whatsoever!

We spend 100s of buck for kick ass fertiliser, why not buy the molasses in an organic grocery shop ^^

Molasses is also a natural insecticide. So foliar makes sense in certain other situations too. If you like to go natural I'd say molasses should definitely be part of the regimen. Blackstrap unsulfered.
Jis sayin. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom