Plants budding, can I cut off large leaves?

MomiLovesWeed

High everyone!!

My buds are budding, and are into the 4th week, can I cut off large leaves to allow more light, with out damaging anything?

Thanks!!

:grinjoint:

Don't take this at face value, because I wouldn't have been able to see growing-expertise while standing on a tall building. But looking at several different opinions about this, and drawing the logical bits out of each, I've ended up with the opinion that you can trim off fan-leaves in bloom, but you shouldn't until they turn light green to yellow and brown. In the end, though, it boils down to "if it works for you, it works for you."

I have for many years trimmed the large fan leave's.What i mean is any thing over 4 inches in length i remove all the way through flowering.Let's light get into the lower branches as all who grow know LITE=BUD.Don't take all at once as will more than likely stall growth.AS u trim they will grow new fans all the way through the grow cycle.:blunt:I also take off all small branches at the bottom to increase the top BUD site's.Well good growin to ya.stay safe.
Godspeed,
DnR

I have for many years trimmed the large fan leave's.What i mean is any thing over 4 inches in length i remove all the way through flowering.Let's light get into the lower branches as all who grow know LITE=BUD.Don't take all at once as will more than likely stall growth.AS u trim they will grow new fans all the way through the grow cycle.:blunt:I also take off all small branches at the bottom to increase the top BUD site's.Well good growin to ya.stay safe.
Godspeed,
DnR

IMHO the lower branches aren't going to yield much regardless, they are too far from the light.

I try to prune in veg so that in flower all I have to do is remove the small sucker branches down low. I do remove large fan leaves if one is covering a nice bud site tho.

WillyB

Hog,
I thought that is what i said.take off lower branches????Only time i've seen lower branches show nice sites is a scrog grow.But different strokes for different folks.It's just a personal thing.do a few grows each way an see for ur self which is best for u.grow on.stay safe..
Godspeed,
DnR

Hog,
I thought that is what i said.

You said "I have for many years trimmed the large fan leave's.What i mean is any thing over 4 inches in length i remove all the way through flowering". The fans are are the photosynthesis factories of the plant. I feel it is better to sacrifice the lower growth to promote greater growth in the upper bud sites. That's how I see it. :)

I do not remove fan leaves until they "need" to be.
Fan leaves are one of the key areas for photosynthisis and thus energy to your plants. (If you have a cart drawn by 6 horses - and you kill two horses you will still get where you are going but the remaining horses will be more tired/stressed and overall would have been better all around if you left all 6 horses). I can add more technicall info but you get the point.
ALSO: Fan leaves are a defence mechanism... If you over nute, fan leaves absorb the nute burn, no fan leaves means new growth and buds will have to absorb these toxins. If you undernute the plant will use the nutes stored in fan leaves to keep things working. If you suffer from desiese it is the fan leaves that will show this... better them than the buds.
If you underwater... moisture from fan leaves is used to survive, if you over water it tries to store eccess in the fan leaves.
Light passes through leaves... just cause you "think" lower leaves are not getting light , they are.
Lastly when A fan leaf is burned/yellowed/crispy/ dead etc... then remove.
Some like to trim them but as you can see there are way to many reasons to "leave" them on. :)

Jonny

Tuck, dont cut... I try to tuck the bigger leaves in, so the bud sites can get light. But you want to keep the fan leaves, as they are what soaks the light up, and transfers its energy to the bud sites. So I try to tuck, not trim. lol.. Have fun, and good luck.

trimming the lower branches would probably increase the size of the higher buds but would kill the lowers. It probably wouldn't affect overall yield but will probably help you get that big bud to show off to you're friends. Overall train the fan leaves, tuck the fan leaves, or cut the fan leaves you're still going to have the same plant.

(there are small amounts of thc in the leaves.. don't smoke em.. but you can use it to make some cannabis cooking oil, waste not want not the whole plant can be used.

Back
Top Bottom