Is it ok to trim lower branches during flower cycle?

brkthry

I'd heard something about depleting flowering hormone...anyone? I trim during veg but wonder if I should chop the bottoms now...thx...

You're not trying to deplete flowering hormone. What you are trying to deplete is chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is what makes the plants green and it is what makes your meds smell and taste like hay. That's why you don't want your girls to have too much N at the end of flowering because N is converted into chlorophyll. And that is also why a lot of the leaves turn yellow and dry out during flowering <--- stored N is being used up by the plant.

To answer your question, a lot of guys trim fan leaves that block light. Some guys trim a lot during flowering. Personally, I don't trim my girls. But you can if you wish.

I trim my plants up to the 3rd week in flower and not past. I generally take a few select branches each week so I do not shock the plants. Like any type of "art" you need to be able to immagine what it will look like in the end, this will help you decide what to trim.
As far as your concerns, I have not seen anything that indicates that it is harmful to trim plants in early flower.

Jonny

it's more about lackluster tiny buds on the bottoms stealing energy from the rest of the plant and carrying dead weight...I usually end up with yellowing leaves and buds that dry into nothing on the bottom branches...I'd rather chop them than sidelight which I've found to be more trouble than it's worth

i trim the hell out of mine , most people wouldnt agree ,but it doesnt seam to affect anything , as far as i can see , experiment more on one plant and see what happens , its not like your going to kill it ,,,,,,,,,,, smokr1

G'day all, I'm from the land down under and am just starting to harvest my girls grown outside.

I to prune my plants heavily with NO adverse affect. This is my second season - gone from one bush to ten this year.

In my opinion,and I use to run a nursery, why leave all that unproductive rubbish on ur bush. In the early stages I knock out some branches to give the remaining ones room to grow. And during the flowering stage I regularly trim fan leaves and knock off the little individual buds down the branch. I dont give much consideration to the plants feelings" as in recovering from stress.

All are doing fine so, trim when you feel the bush is getting to thick with unproductive vegatation.

Hooroo

Back
Top Bottom