Stems turning red

SirGrowAlot

What does it mean if your stems turn red on the plant?
Thank You For your input

The plant is in the veg cycle, been vegging for 2months. It isnt the main stem it is only the stems that branch off main stem. I had heard that maybe a Nitrogen deficency could be the cause, but i do not know if this is good info. Have any ideas?

When you say it is related to NPK feedings does this mean not enough or too much?
btw what is NPK?
Sorry for the newbish questions guys
THanks

When you say it is related to NPK feedings does this mean not enough or too much?
btw what is NPK?
Sorry for the newbish questions guys
THanks

N, P, and K are the three main ingredients you will find on most fertilizers, synthetic and organic alike. One might say the 3 basic blocks of consumable nutrition. We are not including trace elements, macro, and micro nutrients, which are usually in soil/water but not always in non-soil mixes, unless added. Grab any old fert and you will see three numbers usually like 10.10.10. or 0.5.2. So what you need to do is learn what you need and where you choose to supply it. Study up on the nutritional requirements of cannabis during different parts of its growth cycle. In a perfect natural environment the soil and plant live in harmony feeding each other. In our grow rooms we try to replicate nature or better it, of which there are many ways to do so. Look at the average liquid nutes used in hydro. Grow, Micro, and Bloom. Each has it's own 3 number description of its nutritional content.

Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and K (Potassium)

ohh ok.. I know what you are talking about.. i had just thought they were Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash. The K for Potassium messed me up...
Also, what are the micro nutes? Calcium Magnesium and Sulfur?
I know magnesium and sulfur can be got from epsom salt, but how can calcium be got?
I also know that veg cycle needs more nitrogen and flower cycle needs more phosphate..
I have been looking for some feedings that have the major micro nutes but I cannot find any at all. What is the best feed for micro nutes that you know of?

I know magnesium and sulfur can be got from epsom salt, but how can calcium be got?
Dolomite Lime is a great source of calcium, and magnesium for soil/organics. Unsulphured blackstrap molasses has Cal, Mag (but not as much as dol lime) with a lot of trace elements as well.

Also, I have noticed a lot of strains are naturally reddish on the upper half of the branches and green on the lower half. Don't want you chasing a problem, if there isn't one.

Wow really good info man..
I was just reading a post that said that dolomite lime has a 2:1 calcium:magnesium ratio when most plants only need a 6:1 calcium:magnesium ratio, and that this could be damaging. Is this not true for MJ?
Also, on the blackstrap molasses it said that organic blackstrap molasses it what is used for gardening. When you say unsulphured blackstrap molasses do you mean organic blackstrap molasses, are the two the same thing?

From my findings, it could be 1 of 2 things,
1. it can be Manganese
or
2. it can be sulfur..
these both show the signs of purple stems, difference is that they both show yellowing leaves as well, with Manganese it will make the lower growth show the yellowing first, and spread up. With Sulfur, yellowing can start showing on the newer growth as well...

Maybe you can post up some pix to show us exactly what your working with brotha?

here is a link on how to post your pix...
How to upload your photos

:peacetwo:

Wow really good info man..
I was just reading a post that said that dolomite lime has a 2:1 calcium:magnesium ratio when most plants only need a 6:1 calcium:magnesium ratio, and that this could be damaging. Is this not true for MJ?
Also, on the blackstrap molasses it said that organic blackstrap molasses it what is used for gardening. When you say unsulphured blackstrap molasses do you mean organic blackstrap molasses, are the two the same thing?
I add 1 cup of dolomite lime for every 8 gallons of soil and have never had a cal/mag deficiency or toxicity problem. I try to have everything in the soil before the grow and let it "cook" beforehand, similar to subcool's and Doc Bud's supersoil.

No, you want to use organic/natural unsulphered blackstrap molasses. The main difference to look for is the "unsulphered" part. Basically unsulphered means it has not undergone further processing to remove the harsher tasting trace elements, such as cal/mag/iron which are good for the plants. The counterpart is better for mixing with dairy butter and spreading on bread :)

Awesome budbro...thx for info

From my findings, it could be 1 of 2 things,
1. it can be Manganese
or
2. it can be sulfur..
these both show the signs of purple stems, difference is that they both show yellowing leaves as well, with Manganese it will make the lower growth show the yellowing first, and spread up. With Sulfur, yellowing can start showing on the newer growth as well...

Maybe you can post up some pix to show us exactly what your working with brotha?

here is a link on how to post your pix...
How to upload your photos

:peacetwo:

Too much or too little Manganese? That is exactly how my plant is behaving. Can upload a photo if that'll help?

-concerned first timer

I’m new! When u say too much sulfur and manganese that means too much of micro and grow? The new growth doesn’t have yellow leaves, but my plants have the red on the fan leaves and on the stock. I’m growing krazy glue and purple og. I’m a little confused if it’s normal or it’s not because all of my plants have what I described

Attachments

• B54F1150-C038-40DB-BBB3-BCAB6477B9A6.jpeg
    B54F1150-C038-40DB-BBB3-BCAB6477B9A6.jpeg
    898.5 KB · Views: 132
  • D0146054-5195-4125-86A8-6F3740A79999.jpeg
    D0146054-5195-4125-86A8-6F3740A79999.jpeg
    874.4 KB · Views: 140
  • A02AC9F5-90B5-4003-B8DF-C924BB5FD025.jpeg
    A02AC9F5-90B5-4003-B8DF-C924BB5FD025.jpeg
    920.3 KB · Views: 123
I add 1 cup of dolomite lime for every 8 gallons of soil and have never had a cal/mag deficiency or toxicity problem. I try to have everything in the soil before the grow and let it "cook" beforehand, similar to subcool's and Doc Bud's supersoil.

No, you want to use organic/natural unsulphered blackstrap molasses. The main difference to look for is the "unsulphered" part. Basically unsulphered means it has not undergone further processing to remove the harsher tasting trace elements, such as cal/mag/iron which are good for the plants. The counterpart is better for mixing with dairy butter and spreading on bread :)
I’m new, so it’s hard to follow what the hell you guys are talking about. Dolomite lime? Blackstrap molasses? Unsulfured? I’m not sure if your talking about a brand of feed or what? I’m confused if ur talking about the 3 part liquid nutrients (micro, grow , bloom) I also realize that this was posted years ago but when I googled “red stems” this is the first thing that popped up!! It’s so hard to research this shit when everyone has different opinions and every website isn’t giving me a difinative answer... please help!! I wanna learn !! And I’m already deep in and don’t wanna mess it up!

I’m new, so it’s hard to follow what the hell you guys are talking about. Dolomite lime? Blackstrap molasses? Unsulfured? I’m not sure if your talking about a brand of feed or what? I’m confused if ur talking about the 3 part liquid nutrients (micro, grow , bloom) I also realize that this was posted years ago but when I googled “red stems” this is the first thing that popped up!! It’s so hard to research this shit when everyone has different opinions and every website isn’t giving me a difinative answer... please help!! I wanna learn !! And I’m already deep in and don’t wanna mess it up!
Hi @Remington and welcome to the forum!
I have sat back and just watched this thread since it came out and not said anything, until now. Now a new member is confused, and this is wrong.
I get red and purple stems all the time and would not worry unless a large number of them turned colors for no reason. This coloration is the primary way the plant moves its leaves and it can also indicate that the plant has been stressed in that area. When you get odd colorations in the leaves themselves, or in the spines on the leaves... that is a problem, but a red stem pulls toward the light and a purple one pushes away from the light... it is simply the physics as to how much each color absorbs the energy of the light.
Everyone has opinions and some of them are downright humorous. Sometimes the simple scientific answer is the best.

Back
Top Bottom