Swollen Calyxes or the Dreaded Hermie?

SweetJane

Hi all

I am 4 weeks into flower on my first grow and I have started seeing either swollen calyxes or my girls have hermied :/ I pulled one of the pods off last night and cut it open, no seeds, just some white, zit-like goo (yuck) I am seeing more of these 'clusters' on the bottom branches, not to many at the top.

All are bagseed, I know there is a greater chance of having your plants go hermie from bagseed. I under watered them their first 3 weeks, so they were pretty runty for a while, but they seemed to be doing fine once I got that ish figured out. Otherwise, as best I can tell, no light leaks, no crazy temp fluctuations. 78 degrees during lights on, 68 during lights off. I check Ph every time I feed/water. Fox Farm nutes, with additional Cal-Mag in veg. I just started adding molasses. I am growing in FFOF in 2 gallon Smart Pots. My lights are six 43 (?) watt CFLs.

What say the jury?

calyx01.jpg

TIA

Also, I have not seen anything that looks like nanners on these plants. I had two males but I yanked them as soon as they showed balls. I doubt any opened up on me, but anything is possible...

looks like it's just swelling up for more pistils to me. Bag seeds don't give hermies,poor grow conditions hermie em. Generally if the smoke was good the seeds they came out of will be same quality and sometimes better. I thought I had a male and let it flower a couple more days and it turned out to be just newly forming buds; she's got another 3 weeks to harvest and looking cherry. Rastafari.

I think your male got off a shot ot two! that looks like a seed forming.

I think your male got off a shot ot two! that looks like a seed forming.

I'm hoping the jury is still out on that one. I have calmed down a bit about the issue, it is my first grow, so a few mistakes are bound to be made. :) She is still producing tricomes, and her buds still seem to be swelling (no seeds or nanners visible) so I am holding my breath she's not hermied.

I might be closer to harvest on one of my gals I was concerned about than I initially thought, she is not drinking anymore, for a skinny girl, she was a pretty heavy drinker, lol. Her leaves are all yellowed from nitrogen loss and the pistils are turning brown on top. I was hoping to get a few doses of Cha Ching! in her, but it might be flush time.

I will definitely post if I find any seeds post harvest, thanks for looking! :thanks:

Yeah, I was gonna say something about bag seed making hermies. I never heard that before. Stressing out the plant during flowering will cause it to hermie. But even if your plant does hermie, hope it doesn't but if it did, the seeds would still be worth saving I was told. One of my plants that is in flowering now, hermied. I am going to save the seeds and use them one day.

Yeah, I was gonna say something about bag seed making hermies. I never heard that before. Stressing out the plant during flowering will cause it to hermie. But even if your plant does hermie, hope it doesn't but if it did, the seeds would still be worth saving I was told. One of my plants that is in flowering now, hermied. I am going to save the seeds and use them one day.
I have read that if you get seeds from a plant that has hermied the offspring are more likely to hermie. I have read that more than once, don't know if it's an urban legend or not. And also that most seeded plants are seeded due to being hermied, not due to being fertilized by an errant male. So if you get seed weed, your seeds are most likely from a hermie, rather than from a plant that has been fertilized by a rouge male. This is all what I have read online, if it's bunk please correct me.

Personally, at this point in time anyway, I don't care all that much about seeds. I have smoked seeded weed more often than not, and I still got high. I *finally* found a resource to buy sensi, but it was costing me 175 bones for a zip. :mad: The cost is the main reason why I decided to start growing. I also feel safer growing than I do going to some dude's house and then driving with it in my car, knowhutimsayin?

Sorry about the ramble...

I smoke, I would like to quit

You wanna quit cigarettes?

I now vape, much better than that nasty cigarette habit, a heck of a lot cheaper as well. If you wanna quit smoking marijuana I think you are at the wrong place. I wanna quit drinking, but I don't go to the Modern Drunkard forums looking for advice, jest sayin'....:)

I have read that if you get seeds from a plant that has hermied the offspring are more likely to hermie. I have read that more than once, don't know if it's an urban legend or not. And also that most seeded plants are seeded due to being hermied, not due to being fertilized by an errant male. So if you get seed weed, your seeds are most likely from a hermie, rather than from a plant that has been fertilized by a rouge male. This is all what I have read online, if it's bunk please correct me.

Personally, at this point in time anyway, I don't care all that much about seeds. I have smoked seeded weed more often than not, and I still got high. I *finally* found a resource to buy sensi, but it was costing me 175 bones for a zip. :mad: The cost is the main reason why I decided to start growing. I also feel safer growing than I do going to some dude's house and then driving with it in my car, knowhutimsayin? Sorry about the ramble...

Really? I thought someone here told me that offspring would be hermies if that is in their genetics? Maybe even a greater chance of becoming hermies or females but no males. Did I get this wrong? A lot of times I am buzzed when going over threads.. Like I am now..lol...And far from it for me to question you, I am learning like you're learning. Just got my second grow under my belt.

I am like you, I don't mind beans at all now. Before I use to complain when I had to buy stuff and it was loaded with beans. Because I know some people do shady things like use beans to weigh their things down. Now I have two different containers full of beans...One from my hermie and the others she polinated then the other from my friendly neighboorhood connect. Hardly a ramble, you don't wanna get me started on rambling.

Really? I thought someone here told me that offspring would be hermies if that is in their genetics? Maybe even a greater chance of becoming hermies or females but no males. Did I get this wrong? A lot of times I am buzzed when going over threads.. Like I am now..lol...And far from it for me to question you, I am learning like you're learning. Just got my second grow under my belt.

I am like you, I don't mind beans at all now. Before I use to complain when I had to buy stuff and it was loaded with beans. Because I know some people do shady things like use beans to weigh their things down. Now I have two different containers full of beans...One from my hermie and the others she polinated then the other from my friendly neighboorhood connect. Hardly a ramble, you don't wanna get me started on rambling.
Hey Queen Toke, how's it going? Hope you had a good weekend :love:

I am just repeating what I have read online about hermies and their offspring. Some folks are adamant that you should not grow plants from a hermie seed (bad genetics!) but other folks act like it's not a big deal. (free seeds!) I don't know what to think about it, being new to this hobby.

I have always been a seed saver :) I have two plants going that are bagseed from five years ago. I always just kept 'em in baggies, no special storage techniques. I have those baggies in a jar with rice in the fridge now that I know better, lol. My plants sprouted just fine, one appears to be more on the sativa side, lanky with skinny leaves and my prize baby is a beautiful kush looking momma that is trying to take over the tent with her giant-ass fan leaves. I have cloned them all, even if I get seed weed I will still grow out the clones. I don't think it's a total waste, since I am still learning. (not to mention I love gardening!) I will keep any seeds if produced as well. I am now curious about the "hermies grow hermies" theory...

Personally, I love the box of chocolates aspect of bagseed, you don't know what you are gonna get! :thumb:

I totally agree with you. I started with bag seed and currently have some growing now. Two are clones. I do have some quality strains going that i plan to make mothers.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom