Odor control

COLDsp1der

I'm trying to see if there's any other good way to control odor besides a carbon scrubber. I live in an apt so it's going to be an issue because I plan on blowing my exhaust from the tent out a window. What's some of the best ways to do this? Or could I just blow the exhaust into the room or would that heat the whole place up? Using a 600W HPS

Don't blow exhaust directly into a room - will definitely heat the place up over several days.

If you are blowing out a window - what is the issue? Are you on a ground floor? Are you venting to an area where other people will be standing around?

There seem to be several different product types available - with multiple manufacturers and flavors of each.

First there are the powder / gel odor containment products. These come in a bucket and absorb odors out of the air. Seems to work well for small grow areas. Cheap on a daily basis, but expensive over the long haul when compared with carbon scrubbers.

The second type of odor control are ozone generators. They come in many different flavors, but basically they all generate an ozone molecule which will seek out and destroy an odor. They are typically placed into the exhaust right before it goes outdoors. An ozone generator is dangerous to use indoors - so be cautious if you are venting into a room. Done correctly, these can cover the smell for pretty much any growing operation. Since you are venting outdoors - this may be the best option as most people think Ozone smells like the air after a thunderstorm has passed. The GT-50 posted earlier is a small ozone generator that you could use in a tent.

And the final version are carbon scrubbers. These are the cheapest to operate and seem to be the best at blocking odor. Since putting these into my tents - no one has ever smelled my grow operation in the house. They really are the best and most affordable technology for odor prevention today.

I'm on the second (top) floor and it'll be venting out onto the deck. It's not in an area where anyone will be close it the only thing I'm worried about is the people downstairs smelling it outside. How much smell is 6-8 plants really going to generate? I'm thinking of just going the carbon scrubber route. as it seems like it will be the easiest way.

Six to eight plants of the right variety will generate plenty of odor. There are plants with more limited odors that could be grown stealthily though. You would need to pick your strain carefully.

As a general rule (for example, you live in a desert) - the air coming out of your exhaust will be hotter than the air outdoors - therefore it should rise... carrying the odors with it.

A small ozone generator in the exhaust output will ensure that no one smells anything though. So if total concealment is your concern, and carbon is out - that would be my recommendation. Just don't sit to close to the exhaust while enjoying the sundown...

I'm on the second (top) floor and it'll be venting out onto the deck. It's not in an area where anyone will be close it the only thing I'm worried about is the people downstairs smelling it outside. How much smell is 6-8 plants really going to generate? I'm thinking of just going the carbon scrubber route. as it seems like it will be the easiest way.

This is highly reccomended and I use a knock off version with success. ONA GEL :goodluck:

Thank you - I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that stuff!

Small, cheap O2 generators only last a year or so. Plus, they cost a lot. Ozone does have an odor. There's been more than one gardener imprisoned from "ozone smell".

Activated charcoal filters are common, industry standard, equipment. They work, are cheaper than alternatives, and a person with simple skills can make DIY models relatively cheap-compared to pre-fabbed filter.

Just saying and all...

I'm looking at this filter Elf Filter Has anyone had any experience with them? The local hydro shop has them which is nice since I won't have to order one and wait for shipping, always like supporting local small businesses too.

I'm looking at this filter Elf Filter Has anyone had any experience with them? The local hydro shop has them which is nice since I won't have to order one and wait for shipping, always like supporting local small businesses too.

Looks like a good one - it will do what you need it to.

Don't blow exhaust directly into a room - will definitely heat the place up over several days.

If you are blowing out a window - what is the issue? Are you on a ground floor? Are you venting to an area where other people will be standing around?

There seem to be several different product types available - with multiple manufacturers and flavors of each.

First there are the powder / gel odor containment products. These come in a bucket and absorb odors out of the air. Seems to work well for small grow areas. Cheap on a daily basis, but expensive over the long haul when compared with carbon scrubbers.

The second type of odor control are ozone generators. They come in many different flavors, but basically they all generate an ozone molecule which will seek out and destroy an odor. They are typically placed into the exhaust right before it goes outdoors. An ozone generator is dangerous to use indoors - so be cautious if you are venting into a room. Done correctly, these can cover the smell for pretty much any growing operation. Since you are venting outdoors - this may be the best option as most people think Ozone smells like the air after a thunderstorm has passed. The GT-50 posted earlier is a small ozone generator that you could use in a tent.

And the final version are carbon scrubbers. These are the cheapest to operate and seem to be the best at blocking odor. Since putting these into my tents - no one has ever smelled my grow operation in the house. They really are the best and most affordable technology for odor prevention today.
I totally agree. I use a 4" inline fan. When I close the tent, all sides are sucked in from the fan. The fan has a dimmer like knob to control the fan. I have it set midway. I dont smell a thing in my apt.

Back
Top Bottom