Gas Lantern Routine / Diminishing Light Schedule

David Bowman

I've been reading alot about GLR and DLS and am interested in switching over to it on my first grow. I understand that not everyone is behind this lighting schedule and I really do not want to start another debate between all the different light schedules out there. What I've read makes sense to me regarding the savings in electricity, how it better mimics natural light cycles (interrupted light throught day, shadows/shade/etc.), better prepares plant for flowering by getting a head start on flowering hormones, etc.

1) I've been on 18/6 for less than 2 weeks, plants are mostly producing second set of leaves, how stressful to the plants would it be to switch over to GLR now?

2) Is the switch from, GLR to DLS simply removing the 1 hour of light in the middle of the dark cycle all at once or should it be be reduced from 1 hour to 30 minutes and then dark. If so, what is the time period between the light cycle changes?

3) Is DLS good for any strain/type or are there certain strains/types that prefer a simple 12/12 flowering schedule?

4) Does anyone have any experience with a light cycle switch like I'm proposing?

5) Is there anything that I have failed to take into consideration in attempting to make this lighting cycle change?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I've been reading alot about GLR and DLS and am interested in switching over to it on my first grow. I understand that not everyone is behind this lighting schedule and I really do not want to start another debate between all the different light schedules out there. What I've read makes sense to me regarding the savings in electricity, how it better mimics natural light cycles (interrupted light throught day, shadows/shade/etc.), better prepares plant for flowering by getting a head start on flowering hormones, etc.

1) I've been on 18/6 for less than 2 weeks, plants are mostly producing second set of leaves, how stressful to the plants would it be to switch over to GLR now?

2) Is the switch from, GLR to DLS simply removing the 1 hour of light in the middle of the dark cycle all at once or should it be be reduced from 1 hour to 30 minutes and then dark. If so, what is the time period between the light cycle changes?

3) Is DLS good for any strain/type or are there certain strains/types that prefer a simple 12/12 flowering schedule?

4) Does anyone have any experience with a light cycle switch like I'm proposing?

5) Is there anything that I have failed to take into consideration in attempting to make this lighting cycle change?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hey ColoradoHigh! I am a GLR user and have also used DLS. I stopped using DLS because of my perpetual grow and sometimes I have plants in my flower tent at different time of the growth period. For veg I always use GLR and I have never had any problems, only cheaper bills for electric, healthy plants and overall I like it a lot.

1. If you are still in Veg, yes you can change to GLR, the very first time I did GLR, I switched from 18/6 to GLR on week 3 and no issues. Since then I have been running GLR with over 10 different strains and so far It works for all of them. When you switch, just make sure the light come on at the same time as before.

2. With DLS, I didn't really notice much of a benefit it growth of the plants, but it was a little lighter on the electric bill. When I flip from GLR, I usually just leave my lights at 11/13 and that is what I use for the entire flower cycle. During the last week or 2 before harvest sometimes I will raise my lights up, or dim the ballast but other than that I have been leaving the flowering cycle at 11/13

3. Flowering is dependent on how much continuous dark, not by how much light so I have not noticed any issues with any strains if you give them more than 12 hours of dark.

4. I have experience with both and even though I dont use DLS, I always use GLR.

5. GLR is pretty easy its 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off. When I did diminishing light schedule, i started at 11/13 and every 2 weeks cut the light by 1/2 hour... I don't think DLS has a set way but the general goal is reducing light period slightly over time.

Great information Icemud! Right now I have only one grow closet so I will be doing consecutive independent grows for the foreseeable future. I'm glad to hear that the switch to GLR won't cause any stress to my plants. When you switch from GLR to flowering do you just eliminate the 1 hour light cycle all at once or in stages? Yeah, I'm less sure of the benefits of DLS although it sounds like a progession from 12/12 downward might provide some benefit. I'll probably just stick with 12/12 for this grow and experiment with DLS on a future grow.

Great information Icemud! Right now I have only one grow closet so I will be doing consecutive independent grows for the foreseeable future. I'm glad to hear that the switch to GLR won't cause any stress to my plants. When you switch from GLR to flowering do you just eliminate the 1 hour light cycle all at once or in stages? Yeah, I'm less sure of the benefits of DLS although it sounds like a progession from 12/12 downward might provide some benefit. I'll probably just stick with 12/12 for this grow and experiment with DLS on a future grow.

When I switch from GLR to flowering I remove the 1 hour (dark period interruption) and I also remove 1/2 hour from my daylight period at the end and 1/2 hour from the beginning of my daylight period. (I run 11/13 for flowering). If you are sticking to 12/12, then just remove the 1 hr of light in the middle of the dark period.

1. should be fine to switch to glr

2. just go from 12 on 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off, to 12 on 12 off.

3. DLS should be fine for any strain. Nearly all strains would probably prefer 12/12 as it means more light. But since you want to use DLS you can use it and the plant will flower ok.

4. never gone from GLR to DLS. But there is no reason why it won't grow fine like that.

5. I recommend just using 12/12 for flowering inside. You are worrying about things that need not be worried about IMO. KISS is the best advice for growing anything.

I agree Jimmycricket and I also believe in the KISS philosophy. That's why I'm not doing DLS this time until I get more experience under my belt. I'm not worried per se as much as I am trying to be cautious since this is my first grow. Since I do not have anything to vape to chill me out, well, you understand! :winkyface: I'm sure I'll be in a much more mellow place for my second grow! :hookah:

I agree Jimmycricket and I also believe in the KISS philosophy. That's why I'm not doing DLS this time until I get more experience under my belt. I'm not worried per se as much as I am trying to be cautious since this is my first grow. Since I do not have anything to vape to chill me out, well, you understand! :winkyface: I'm sure I'll be in a much more mellow place for my second grow! :hookah:

I am using GLR in one of my rooms currently.

Hi,

im also a huge fan of glr, the only reason im not using it at the moment is because ive been working on my own autos strains so not possible to use glr, but after this grow ill be using glr for all my plants during veg.

now i find demenishing light schedule is ok to use but does not make much difference with the results, giving the plant less light during flower us going to speed up the harvest date so to me this sounds like your losing out on possible yield where as 12-12 from flower to harvest is giving the plant a stable schedule to finish under.

ive not done much testing with demenishing light schedule to confirm or deny my oppinion but i certainly didnt notice a increase in yield compared with the same strains grown under 12-12,

not a problem, all i can do is pass on what i have tried and come across myself,

but the only way any of us is going to know for sure what works and what done is to give it all a try, we all grow in different climates, we all have different setups, soils, nutes, growing mediums, etc etc so results will always vary. so for me the best option was to read what i can about different growing methods and light schedules then try it with strains ive grown before and that way i have some results to compare it to,

its pointless growing say northern lights under 24-0 then growing cheese under 18-6 and then compare the 2,
these plants will grow pretty much any way we want them to, each grower will say their mehod is the best and for them it might be, but that might not work for another grower growing different strains in different mediums using different lights.

so theirs a lot of variables to play around with, all i can say for sure is all light schedules work, all training methods work. so play around and see what works best for you, if you dont try something different then you will always wonder what if,

its ok comparing another persons grow to your own but they could be using 1000watt lights and adding co2 etc etc and you could be growing with cfls or lower wattage hids, so training methods will again produce different results for different people,

just enjoy growing and learn as you grow, if you make a mistake then you learn from it, if you never make mistakes you never learn, if you dont try something different then you will always wonder what would happen, for me i like to try different things and in the end it gives me results, results which i can compare and amend, this gives me the chance to see what works, what produces the best results and what makes the plants grow nice and healthy,

experiment and you will find something that works,
lets take the 24-0 and the 18-6 argument, growers who use 24-0 for veg sweay by it and wont use any other schedule, then theirs growers like me who wont use 24-0 and say 18-6 produces better results, this debate will go on for ever and a day.

Back
Top Bottom