First time grower second try first might be dying

TONYBLUNTZ420

Ok so I started again with a fresh pot soil and seed ... planted it 2 days ago after germinate stage and this popped out
20151015_153018.jpg
20151015_153039.jpg
... used miracle grow seedling soil .. what's next step don't want to screw this one up... not sure what seed .. but could be purple urckle .. critical kush. . Green crack..jack ..I made a grow box 2x2wx2d 250 watts in there 4 inch exhaust 7 inch breeze fan.. temp 73-80..and watered yesterday:bigtoke:
20151014_150407.jpg
20151008_230514.jpg

Welcome Tony!
Are you journaling this grow? That may be the best way to get assistance, if you're looking for it.
Cheers!

20151014_150455.jpg
20151015_164430-1.jpg
top pic with shitty soil and bottom pic with new soil and when I took it out of the old pot I saw the root spiraling and some spreading.. I just don't know if it was to soon .. wasn't looking to good either but I don't know

For the seedling do I do 24/0 or 18/6 light

Yes. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Your choice. I do 18/6, but others go 24/0. I've not seen any evidence that 24/0 is better but it definitely costs more for power.

You're over loving your plants for starters. They're totally babies and you've already replanted them. Don't take that the wrong way, I think everyone has done that the first time they plant something and it shows life. Sans a journal, I'd recommend you:

Get real ferts and get away from the miracle grow, it may work but it's hardly the best for what you're doing. While your waiting for your nutes to arrive, give your plant a bit of MG but not a lot, like 1/4 tsp/gallon to keep them alive. The MG and planting soil can be tough on the seedlings. I use filtered water, only ph balanced, with a bit of h2o2 in it for the first week on seedlings. Then I start them on a limited nute menu for a few feedings and then to proper levels if they respond well to the first feeding.

If I read that wrong and it's mg planting soil only, the seedlings will survive off themselves for around a week before you need to start watering with nutes.

And from coming off my first grow with everything still fresh in my mind, I'm going to try to not ruin your day, but looking at your picture I can foresee a few things.

• Your plants will quickly, outgrow your grow area unless you start to seriously train them starting right away. Your grow area is tiny, and you have to have roots for the size you want, and the space to spread the canopy out, since you don't have vertical space for colas at all. Soon as they're ready, get them into final containers and get training them.
  • You need to arrange your lights better and understand what each do, and how they do it. The cfls' need to be super close to the plants compared to the leds which can burn them easily if too close. You have a bit of reading ahead of you. You need to find out color temperature for which phase, etc etc.
  • 3. Your exhaust fan must be mounted so the fan blades are closer to the hole. Use some hot glue and glue that puppy to the top of the box. I have a set up like that for my veg box and it works great. The way you have the fan mounted now, it is blowing a lot of the air back down into the box because it's hitting the edge of the exhaust hole. In lieu of that, make a cardboard sleeve to put around the fan (but that will cut into your grow space).
  • 4. Things you should really look into and study while you nurse your plant back to health is fimming, lst'ing and other forms of low stress training. And how lights work, more specifically, the colors you need for growing, and distance from the plant (cfls 4inches or less, LEDs are like 18inches or more)

That's just the begining, unless you're one of those special people that has real green thumbs and can grow anything in any medium regardless of conditions. I'm not one of those, my thumbs are hemoglobin red so I have to use science and knowledge while I gain that experience stuff that supposedly helps with things. :laughtwo:

The good news is, this is the best place on the web I've found to get all the info you need. Just get reading and using the search and then ask questions.

- edit- Just read through your first thread, and yeah, I think everyone has done what you've done. Plant get life, overwater. It's natural lol. But you've put yourself behind the power curve. Your plant is growing, and now you need to absorb all the knowledge you can, that you need to, faster than your plants grows.

I would use one to two 5000k+ cfl's and keep them inches from the plant. This won't burn them, but will keep thier growth to shorter internode length for now. If you keep the lights where they are in the picuters, the plants will stretch toward them and make organization harder in a week or so when you get to work training. Remove the led and other 'grow light'. The LED has different light than the cfl's and can burn your plant easily, and the normal 'grow' light, may not even work with cannabis. You've got a lot of studying to do and your plant will give pop quizzes when it feels like it. Be ready!
Ph, nutes, feeding schedule, equipment (testers buckets etc).

And you will need some sort of filter for flowering unless pungent happy weed smell is accepted by anyone in smelling distance of your grow.

Thanks for the advice guys ... I rearranged my lights going to buy more cfls if they burn out I guess the 5000k or better.. are they more of the blue-ish tent or day light ones

Much nicer! 5000k is fine, 6500k if you can find them. I get 6500k's from costco for 3$/6 with rebate. 6 of the 5000's at hd are like 9$ (all 23w 1600lumens). For flower you want to pick up some 2300k bulbs.

Here's my macgyver light. When you add a few more cfl's you want to cut holes in the pie tin above the ballasts or it will trap lots of heat. (keep in mind the reflector is to keep you from going blind mostly. The useable light from the cfl's falls off so quickly, reflectors are basically window dressing)

light_12.JPG

Yes. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Your choice. I do 18/6, but others go 24/0. I've not seen any evidence that 24/0 is better but it definitely costs more for power.

I would just like to add and extend off what you said mate. It is essential for you to give your plants some rest. They need this for the purposes of certain hormones they are developing and preparing for their flower stage. I strongly suggest sticking to the regimented 18/6 until you get a better grasp and understanding of basic growing techniques which you will find here without a worry.

x2 about starting a journal. You will receive a lot more assistance that way :) Welcome to 420 mate!

Oh man, my apolgies, I try to stay away from anacronymese orz. MG = miracle grow and H2o2 is hydrogen peroxide (3% from the local store). The hydrogen peroxide is great to have around, since you can kill nasties with it in and on your plant and not hurt it. Later when you get into things like beneficial bacteria and all, the peroxide will kill that too, but you'll know how to use it then. It also kills things like powdery mildew spores.

For now, the two lights are fine. As the plant gets bigger and you begin to scrog it out (your first homework assignment should be how to fimm and scrog, because you'll need to really underrstand that, or you'll only have a bonsai plant) you can turn the lights horizontal and add more. Cfl's are gentle light, so I don't know if you can over light a plant with 23w bulbs or not, but when the plant gets into it's explosive veg window, you want to simulate as close to sunlight levels as you can, which works out to 5-6 23w 1500-1600 lumen bulbs for a total of 9,000-10,000 lumens (to keep it simple here, there's a huge whatever on how to discuss light intensity and it's not an exciting read). That growth window is a week or more away depending on how you feed the plant and how much light you give it. Keep the two bulbs and the plant will grow slow and tight, and prolong time to harvest. But it will give you time to learn. Adding more lights quickly will make the plant grow much faster and you could be flying blind trying to keep everything under control, and by then, it's not pretty. I know, because I rebuilt my grow area twice as the plants grew past my understanding.

Keep the two lights for this week, make sure the plant is happy and you know how to proceed, then when you think you're ready (don't worry you won't be ~^) add two more lights and full nutes and get it going. You could slow veg it while you learn for a year under limited light if you wanted. And I have 5x1 or 4x2 lights. That means in each phase, the light is 5 optimal 1 optional color spectrum, veg 5x 5000 or 6500 and 1 2700k light, and swap that around for flower. My plants seem to love it.

Oh, one more thing. When you're considering what size container to transplant into, you should go with tub shape, not a classic plant pot. You want it short and wide so you get good roots with as little physical grow medium height. Yah, your grow box is making more work for you and limiting what you can do. But that's fine as long as you take your time.

Eso since I took out the other bulbs... and only left the 2 cool cfls the temp dropped and stays at 69-74... is that bad .. and also shouldni put a heat pad or some sort

Eso since I took out the other bulbs... and only left the 2 cool cfls the temp dropped and stays at 69-74... is that bad .. and also shouldni put a heat pad or some sort

Those temps are fine - good, in fact.
I try to keep lights-on at 80 - 85 and lights-off about 15 degrees cooler. The 74 is fine. I'd try for a little bigger drop when lights are off.

It gets called in the room there in and plus fall is here winter soon...so with the lights on it was jumping 69-70...that was this morning... the light schedule from 130-730 the lights are off during the day and the lights on 730-130 on

I run my lights on at night too. I can keep the temperatures good all winter that way. I get about 82 - 85 while the light is on and then about 65 during the day when my light is off.

Back
Top Bottom