Is it possible to get a male plant from a fem autoflower seed?

popolino77

I am growing crop kings early miss fem autoflower. It is 7 days old above soil it looks really healthy like to good to be true healthy . Is there a possibility it could be a male ? Because i read that male plants grow more vigorously. And if yes when will i be able to tell if it is a male ?

Im new but i wouldnt say that anything is impossible.. But the tell tell sign will be when the plant starts to flower.. From what research ive done autos grow faster anyway bc of the short amount of time it takes from start to finish.. Is your strain mostly sativa/rud? If so that could explain some of it.. But if you ordered an auto fem seed chances are its a female..

yes ...and um yes... but let me check....yup that is a yessir.

Femed plants are force Hemies. There are 3 ways to do it I have found in my research. 2 are using chemicals to cause a good female to be a male "locally" (that means around one flower) and letting it self seed. 2 female genetics have a higher than 90% chance of being female. Specifically Male pollen from a female plant has female genes so female plus female should make female.

There is a third way which no one should do and that is force a herme. That works too...but it has a good likelihood of being a hermie...oh wait actually it is the same thing...

So Femed seeds are very sensitive (probably because they are females) so they need to be taken care of or they may herme again.

But chemically femed seeds are way more robust than forced hemes.

Too bad ...so sad...if yours is male. Give it some love it may come back. Contact the seed bank...if they aren't dicks and you prove you aren't a liar they will give you a deal.

:peace:

yes ...and um yes... but let me check....yup that is a yessir.

Femed plants are force Hemies. There are 3 ways to do it I have found in my research. 2 are using chemicals to cause a good female to be a male "locally" (that means around one flower) and letting it self seed. 2 female genetics have a higher than 90% chance of being female. Specifically Male pollen from a female plant has female genes so female plus female should make female.

There is a third way which no one should do and that is force a herme. That works too...but it has a good likelihood of being a hermie...oh wait actually it is the same thing...

So Femed seeds are very sensitive (probably because they are females) so they need to be taken care of or they may herme again.

But chemically femed seeds are way more robust than forced hemes.

Too bad ...so sad...if yours is male. Give it some love it may come back. Contact the seed bank...if they aren't dicks and you prove you aren't a liar they will give you a deal.

:peace:

Do male plants grow faster and bigger then female plants ?

no...you can't tell until you go to bloom.

If you are impatient....take some clones, bloom the plants. Restart the females.

Males make good brownies.

Do male plants grow faster and bigger then female plants ?

Everything ive read said yes, typically males grow fast and taller then females. Females will grow slower and bushier.

Dont read to much into that.
Sativas will grow faster and taller then indica
Indica with be slower and bushier.

Thats not to say a female wont grow faster then a particular male, or a particular indica wont grow taller then a sativa.

Id wait a bit before contacting CKS, 10days doesnt seem very long

Okay in the wild that may be true. But in a "controlled" environment where a newb is fucking it up anything goes.

Not to say you are doing a bad job bro. But it is just too "risky" to pull a plant because it is growing fast and tall. Especially if you are unsure of...well just about anything. What if he is growing F1's? Or worse different strains?

Okay in the wild that may be true. But in a "controlled" environment where a newb is fucking it up anything goes.

Not to say you are doing a bad job bro. But it is just too "risky" to pull a plant because it is growing fast and tall. Especially if you are unsure of...well just about anything. What if he is growing F1's? Or worse different strains?

The plant is not growing tall in fact it is really short but the leaves are huge for its height and it looks really healthy, the reason i am worried it mite be a male is because i have another seedling the same exact age and it is nearly 5 times smaller. the only thing different about the plants is the bigger one is planted in black gold soil and the smaller one is planted in happy frog soil . Why do you think there is such a big difference in size from my x2 seedlings ?

I am running my first auto fems right now.

I tried to look up that strain but I can't tell if it is an F1 or a mature stable strain. If they say F1 you have no idea what you will get. It could be anything like the father or the mother or somewhere in between. It could have all the worst traits of both. It could have all the best traits of both. F1's are just not a strain at all technically speaking and you just don't know what you are getting. So you could have 2 very different plants from those 2 seeds. It kinda depends on the strength of the genes of the parents.

It is like if you were to have a true 100% Kenyan breed with a true 100% German. You would get a strong cross of both as those have strong genetics. The child would look very much like both. But if you take a 100% Kenyan and they had a child with an american mutt like me with all sorts of stuff then our child would look more African probably.

Sometimes in families all the children take after one side of the family and all look like mom or all look like dad because genetics are stronger on one side...same thing in plants.

Also Auto fems are a bit inferior genetically to begin with as they are in fact a hermi. The chromosomes in the seed are all female, not a mix, so they can be all messed up and sensitive too. I was told by one seed bank that they can easily become hermi and just because you see a male pod on the stem it may easily come around and be dominantly female.

Now if these are an actual stable strain, which takes min 6 inbreeding's, then you have a "problem" maybe with the amount of water the 2 different pots are retaining or even soil but I doubt that.

5 times is a huge difference. I would suspect possibly the one pot had some contamination and there is a problem in there. Maybe it was over-watered and you have root rot. Hard to say without pics.

I wouldn't overthink the situation. Any strain grown from seed is going to express it's genes as individuals. You'll get the whole gamut from short and wide to tall and lanky (phenotypes). You wait till they are about 18" tall, then clone the phenotype(s) you like the most, depending on your space limitations and your personal preferences.

Actually farmers have figured out how to breed plants to get stable strains so every seed comes up the same. It takes about 6 inbreeds from what I recall but there are like 3 ways to do it. If done right in 8 gens is the most it takes.

This is one of our sponsors explaining it. It took me a while to find the explanation in such a short page. This is kinda complicated. But a true breeding strain will give you the same plant. Just like the vegetable seeds you buy at a garden store.

Cannabis Genetics 101: Stabilising a strain - Sensi Seeds Blog

So if you know what you are doing in 2-3 years you can stabilize a new breed. But doing it right takes longer because you need to grow them for traits not yield or time to harvest.

To do it right you need like 50 plants a run so you can make a decent selection from the possibilities and you need both males and females. And you need to know what are good traits in males. 100 plants a run is better for F1 but after it starts to come into its own you can reduce the number.

GOOD LUCK!

To do it right you need like 50 plants a run so you can make a decent selection from the possibilities and you need both males and females. And you need to know what are good traits in males. 100 plants a run is better for F1 but after it starts to come into its own you can reduce the number.

GOOD LUCK!

WOW. No wonder I got 4 phenotypes out of an F4 strain sold to us at the local dispensary! I kept cloning from the preferred phenotype, till I got what I wanted. I could very well be at 8 generations by now. I hope the strain does not weaken and die out. I like what I have at this point.

Clones are not breeding. What I am saying is you need to plant a bunch of them and look at the phenotype results. Pick a male with the characteristics you want...say fast growth or hearty stock or tight nodal density...whatever you are trying to do...or just the "best of the bunch" whatever that means. Kill the rest and then you collect the pollen from the male. All the time monitoring the females and deciding who the mother is gonna be.

Then you pollinate the desired female and do it again.

But also you back breed back to the original line for specific traits. So like you take a tight nodal Indica and breed it to a sativa and come up with a stumpy sativa. Then you breed that back to the sativa mainline and get a tight nodal bushy sativa.

I probably just explained it wrong. I haven't done this in almost 20 years. I smoked a lot since then.

It really isn't that difficult but there are college courses on breeding Technics for traits. I can't explain a college course in a post.

This however is how farmers have, for example, taken corn and made it yellow. When the pilgrims landed the corn was many colors. They made it all yellow a long time ago to make it look better. But don't call any of this genetic manipulation... "genetically modified plants" or the hippies wont smoke it.

Clones are not breeding. What I am saying is you need to plant a bunch of them and look at the phenotype results. Pick a male with the characteristics you want...say fast growth or hearty stock or tight nodal density...whatever you are trying to do...or just the "best of the bunch" whatever that means. Kill the rest and then you collect the pollen from the male. All the time monitoring the females and deciding who the mother is gonna be.

Then you pollinate the desired female and do it again.

But also you back breed back to the original line for specific traits. So like you take a tight nodal Indica and breed it to a sativa and come up with a stumpy sativa. Then you breed that back to the sativa mainline and get a tight nodal bushy sativa.

I probably just explained it wrong. I haven't done this in almost 20 years. I smoked a lot since then.

It really isn't that difficult but there are college courses on breeding Technics for traits. I can't explain a college course in a post.

This however is how farmers have, for example, taken corn and made it yellow. When the pilgrims landed the corn was many colors. They made it all yellow a long time ago to make it look better. But don't call any of this genetic manipulation... "genetically modified plants" or the hippies wont smoke it.

I understand perfectly. Mendelian genetics. I was a Biology major 47 odd years ago. Still, after all this time, I have to refresh my memory on the details. Breeders are sorting the genes as they appear in each successive generation, then back breeding to strengthen certain traits.

I have a CKS fem auto at day 27 from seed, not sure of strain as its from a mixed auto fem batch, but it's showing signs of being a hermie.
420-magazine-mobile1245131353.jpg

The upper node has a female preflower but the node just below has a set of balls.
420-magazine-mobile1129811084.jpg

I'm a little newbish, so not really sure what to do. First instinct is to kill it, swiftly, but with the newer growth showing female, maybe I could just remove the balls from the node below and see how the next nodes grow out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can try it. Once in a blue moon somebody gets one that only has a few balls. Usually they just keep growing hundreds more though. But as long as they're not open they can't pollinate anything, so no need to panic.

stress can cause them to hermie, but usually closer to flower.
It sounds like she's happy and healthy and her sister might be a runt?
I'd love and nurture both of them unless one starts to show nanners, you might be surprised with the end results.

Back
Top Bottom