Brownish cola tops - Harvest

hoseb

This is my first grow so I appreciate all the expertise.
This is an autoberry feminized autoflower plant that I cut today day 67 from seed.
Grown in FFOF/happy frog/perlite with FF nutes, 3 gallon pots with Mars Hydro LED II 400. Nutes ph'd to 6.5
Temps 72-80 RH 50% in flower
Light 18/6

As I was cutting I noticed that the tops of the colas were browner than the lower ones.
I'm concerned about bud rot and mold. I looked closely at the tops and there did not seem to be any evidence of powdery mold inside. The inside of the buds are green. It's that the outside is darker. The fan leaves near the top have been yellowing and drying up for the last 2 weeks. I've been checking the trichs and have only seen a few amber. Here are a few pictures. I think they are ok, but would like some reassurance before I wash and start drying later today. Thanks!!
The last picture is what they looked like 2 days ago,

cola215.JPG

cola118.JPG

cola310.JPG

I would assume that the tops would be more mature than the lower buds. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say dry and cure separately in order to keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the replies. Separate harvesting is not an option for me due to the time constraints. I will keep them in a separate jar while the cure. My second plant bubblegum auto is looking quite healthy and will be getting the chop this coming weekend.
I've noticed some new pistils as well which I've heard can happen during late flower.

bubble112.JPG

bubble212.JPG

I hope you mean scares in a good way. I'm a big newbie and don't want to screw this up.

i show it to my buddy and he said bud root i said no but it does look like it how close did you have the light i have seen light burn but never does anything to the bud the leaves yes

It smells good. First time smelling it for me. Has a minty odor. I trimmed the tops and put them in a separate jar. They have a darker appearance like they've started curing already. They also felt dryer than the lower buds. I've got an RH monitor and boveda 62% packs in with them. Thanks for the advice!!

The jar with the tops has develop mold. Its been about 2 weeks since cutting. They were my the drying chamber for about 4 days until they felt dry on the outside with bendy stems. I put them in 1 quart jars with boveda 62 and humistats. They've been opened every day. There was no off odor. Today I saw some white powdery stuff on 80% of the buds in the jar where I put the brown tops. The humidity in this jar remained high and was 90% today despite having 2 boveda packs inside. I've gotten rid of the moldy buds and the others in the other jars look fine. There was minimal cross contact with the others.

Questions-
1. Is it likely that the mold started before I cut?
2. or did I just mismanage the drying process and put them into to wet thinking that the boveda packs would take care of it. I did notice that the boveda packs felt fuller than the unused ones. I wonder if they became oversaturated with fluid and could no longer maintain the appropriate humidity in the jar. Do the packs have to air out to release built up moisture? I put one used one in an empty jar and the humidity was in high 70's.

I did get 4 oz from this plant. 3 oz after subtracting the moldy part.

The second plant was harvested monday. It is a tall plant (bubblegum) and its main cola was within a foot of the lights. There was some browning starting on the top cola when I decided to cut it. I have the stems hanging in the grow box with the lights off. 71 degrees 50% humidity.

I will let it dry longer before jars and am thinking about changing out the boveda packs every few days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DSC042495.JPG

closeup60.jpg

I would say the darker cola tops are from your LED, mine does the same closer to the LED...kinda purplish...bud rot is mushy & gooey usually.

Boveda packs don't take humidity/moisture out very well, you have to slow dry your buds for 7-10 days, and then jar them & burp them 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time until you have the RH (relative humidity) at a maintained 65%, then you can close up the jars and put in 62% Boveda packs to maintain a 62% environment, and then cure for 1-3 months...the longer the better, to a certain point when the curing process is over.

I would say the darker cola tops are from your LED, mine does the same closer to the LED...kinda purplish...bud rot is mushy & gooey usually.

Boveda packs don't take humidity/moisture out very well, you have to slow dry your buds for 7-10 days, and then jar them & burp them 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time until you have the RH (relative humidity) at a maintained 65%, then you can close up the jars and put in 62% Boveda packs to maintain a 62% environment, and then cure for 1-3 months...the longer the better, to a certain point when the curing process is over.

Thanks for the feedback. That description of the tops sounds exactly what I saw. The tops when cut had a sweeter and less grassy smell. Does that mean they were more ripe? Is that a good thing?

I will let the 2nd plant dry longer before jarring. I definitely overestimated the effects from the Boveda.

Back
Top Bottom