3 gallon smart pots - How often should I be watering?

PurpleHaze22

I was doing every 4 days but that was to far between. I am currently doing every 72 hours but was wondering if that was underfeeding them? This is my first time growing and everyone always warns about overwatering plants. So i am trying to make sure i don't do that. But i also don't want to be underwatering them. Input, experience advice?

Hi PurpleHaze22.

As we are not familiar with your grow (i.e. plant size, heat/temp of room, air exchange and ambient humidity, etc..) an "every x days or hours" answer would probably not be accurate. I think the best advice anyone could give you would be to judge when to water by the wet vs. dry weight of the containers.

At some appropriate stage of growth, when the plants are not just seedlings, let the pots dry out completely. I mean like bone dry, leaves on the plant drooping kind of dry. Pick the pots up (or actually weigh them) and get a feel for the dry vs. wet weight.

It's good that your being cautious and heeding the overwatering warnings! As we all learn to dial in our individual grows, we'll have more success from underwatering than from overwatering. Eventually, we hope to find that "just right" goldilocks middle ground.

For comparison purposes, I've got some smallish plants in regular 1 gallon nursery containers. I'm struggling to get the humidity in the tent higher than 25 or 30% even running a humidifier, and I don't have to water more than once every week or so. Again, a lot of key pieces of info missing as you didn't mention how much your watering when you do, but my best guess is you might be just a tad heavy on water right now.

What were/are you seeing when going 4 days that leads you to believe that was too long?

Be well and happy growing!

Smart pots are not recommended for cannabis because they prevent you from watering correctly. They have an integrated drip pan that prevents run off. So following recommended watering schedules and portions will be wrong. You need to remove the drip and place like a 2x4 scrap or something between them so the water drips out and is gone.

The best pots for cannabis are fabric post. But any pot will work that allows for 10-15% of the water added to come out the bottom and not be reabsorbed. You want a decent amount to run out each time. You also want to wait until the pot is fully dry (preferably the leaves start to show signs of lack of watering) to before watering again. This will promote vigorous fast growth and a larger root ball. (faster time to a larger harvest).

Using a smart pot can easily result in pH problems and in the worst of cases rot in the root zone which may be catastrophic.

:goodluck:

Smart pots are not recommended for cannabis because they prevent you from watering correctly. They have an integrated drip pan that prevents run off. So following recommended watering schedules and portions will be wrong. You need to remove the drip and place like a 2x4 scrap or something between them so the water drips out and is gone.

The best pots for cannabis are fabric post. But any pot will work that allows for 10-15% of the water added to come out the bottom and not be reabsorbed. You want a decent amount to run out each time. You also want to wait until the pot is fully dry (preferably the leaves start to show signs of lack of watering) to before watering again. This will promote vigorous fast growth and a larger root ball. (faster time to a larger harvest).

Using a smart pot can easily result in pH problems and in the worst of cases rot in the root zone which may be catastrophic.

The Smart pots are sitting in saucers and they allow runoff. Not sure what kind of smart pots you are thinking of. I am referring to the smart pots that are black fabric. But i know lots of big growers like jorge cervantes for example swear by the smart pots i am using for cannabis

Ahhhh... Fabric pots then you are fine. Most people when referring to "smart pots" are refer to these self watering pots called smart pots you get at most stores.

Like these...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Misco-Home-and-Gardens-6.8-Black-Self-Watering-Flare-Planter/44432676

which are not to be used by us.

You are referring to a particular brand name fabric pot. Sorry to be confused. Most people call those fabric pots.

Then you still want them raised in the drip pan to allow the run of to run off and then you can follow standard watering rules.

Wait until it is dry before watering. Water it heavily and until a good amount runs out the bottom (with fabric pots it may take more because it can run out the side). Then wait until dry again.

Depending on the size of the plant and the port this time can vary. Typically in early veg (less than 8 inches) it can take 2 weeks in a good size pot between watering. Later on you might get so active if you have proper humidity and temp in the grow space that you may need to water as often as every 5 days or so but you really need to dial things in for that unless your pot is too small.

Sorry for the confusion. I use high end fabric pots and always forget about those guys.

I stopped worrying about it when I realized the plant doesn't die when it gets thirsty. It will look like it is dead, leaves and stems all limp, then give it a little water and even a few hours later it will spring back. Now I just go as dry as possible, let the plant tell me how much it needs.

I think small pots are better. I had 5 gallon buckets as pots and they would hardly dry out over 5 days after a good water-ril-runout. 2-3 gallons seems like a better range unless you have really large plants they're just going to leave the water.

It didn't hurt mine, soil was still airy enough, but I did have a fungus gnat issue for a while.

It is even better than wont die...it makes it grow faster and with a stronger root system.

Up to to point...

Mid-way through bloom the root system stops growing and the plant focuses all its energy on flowering. So up to then letting it dry out fully and show so in the leaves is a recommended practice. I do it every time until mid bloom. Then I try to water it when the pot feels light.

This isn't a Cannabis thing this is how plants work. People who water their lawn properly water it infrequent and heavily to drive water deep and try to get the roots to grow deep looking for the water. If you water your lawn everyday shallow then the grass has short shallow roots and is not nearly as healthy looking.

I use 3gal fabric pots as well & I agree with everything that's been said. A wet/dry cycle is best & let's remember that a plant can survive for ages without water anyway, how many of us have forgotten to water whatever plant before going on holiday lol! in my case if temps are good i.e. warm with medium RH then every 3 days seems about right with 2.5ltr or sometimes 3ltr of water.

I pack a lot of soil in my pots though, maybe up to 50% more than than 3gal (11ltr) its meant to hold. Good luck.

:Namaste:

I'll pile on here.
Never water on any set schedule unless/until you are very familiar with your plants and their needs. In soil, water only when they need it. Wait until the pots dry out and the plants will wilt in the next day. Once in bloom, it is a little different story. You still want them to dry out, but not so much as to get close to wilting.

Where in the world did you ever hear this. Can you explain or show me where you found or heard this info. All I use are 3 gallon smart pots and never have I had any of the issues you talk about, I haven't even never heard of such talk. Anyway the proof is in the picture.
20160207_122054.jpg

If you reread the thread I was referring to Self watering "smart pots". No one refers to that brand on here we just call them fabric pots. People call the self watering pots smart pots "Smart Pots" all the time because many brands call them that. Many stores have those labelled as such.

It was a simple misunderstanding and if you read the thread you would realize I misunderstood and apologized and corrected myself.

But thanks!!!

I use 5 gallon black fabric pots. My humidity is low at 30 percent and i keep the temp in the high 70's. My pots can go from soaking wet, feeling like they weigh 10 pounds, to bone dry in about 3 to 4 days. I try to do exactly what TanR describes; I wait as long as I can before I water. The problems caused by over watering are much greater and diverse than underwatering in my experience.

Purplehaze, it seems like you have the right idea. Just watch the plants. They tell you when they need water. The leaves wont sit perfectly flat, they will have a bit of droop to them. Pick up the pots, do they feel like there's nothing in there except for a plant? Also, if you water from say, a gallon jug. The plant/pot will have a similar weight to the amount of water used from your jug. (depending on runoff)

I can kinda lift the pots up but only slightly because the plants are weaved into a scrog net, but i think 4 days might have been right because it gives the plant an extra day to dry out a bit more. I have been keeping an eye on the plants leaves and the top soil of the pots. best to just go with signs from the plant and weight if you have smaller pots and can check that way. :high-five: I appreciate all the different bits of advice from everyone :thanks: currently on day 39 of flower with Humboldt seed co Feminized Blue Dream. And it is also my first medical grow ^.^

I took a long thin screwdriver, both - and +, and poked several small holes in the bottoms of the pots I'm growing with. So it allows more air in and more rancid water out. Smartpots says it's okay to use for cannabis. If it grows other stuff , it shd grow cannabis. Smartpots shd not be dismissed out of hand. (I am not affiliated with SmartPots(TM))

I stopped worrying about it when I realized the plant doesn't die when it gets thirsty. It will look like it is dead, leaves and stems all limp, then give it a little water and even a few hours later it will spring back. Now I just go as dry as possible, let the plant tell me how much it needs.

I think small pots are better. I had 5 gallon buckets as pots and they would hardly dry out over 5 days after a good water-ril-runout. 2-3 gallons seems like a better range unless you have really large plants they're just going to leave the water.

It didn't hurt mine, soil was still airy enough, but I did have a fungus gnat issue for a while.

Just keep in mind stressing it like that can cause it to Hermmie

Back
Top Bottom