Tmac23

First time grower any advice on my tent so far before my seeds arrive
20160203_185042.jpg
20160203_185310.jpg
20160203_185142.jpg
20160203_185057.jpg

:hippy:

welcome!

lights look feasible, but I'm not a CFL man so i can't say for sure.

i don't see any ducting in there, do you have any ventilation equipment, or at least an oscillating fan ?

you're going to need a way to exchange the air inside your tent with fresh(er) air from somewhere else (the room its in is fine).

my $0.02

:high-five:

I m going to put a fan in there i forgot about that... I have six CFLs for now until I learn what I'm doing... For ventilation can't I keep the zipper down a little?

Are those 27w CFL? What color spectrum?

You need a way to draw new air in. The plants are going to eat up all the CO in there pretty quick, they won't suffocate but I mean imagine living in a stuffy closet, you won't be thriving. Plus humidity will become an issue. If you only get an exhaust fan this will help, because the air has to get back in through the side vents.

I think you're going to need more lights.

They are 23w I have six of them... Is hat enough for 3-4 plants?... Where could I get an exhaust fan from and how much do they usually go for

They are 23w I have six of them... Is hat enough for 3-4 plants?... Where could I get an exhaust fan from and how much do they usually go for

I'd suggest getting a 6 inch inline fan to take full advantage of the tent. Plus I can't say from experience, but I don't think a PC fan will have the CFM rating to adequately ventilate a tent. You could use one for an active intake, meaning the fan will blow air in... But then you're going to have heat build up and the exchange of air left to a passive exhaust. Getting an exhaust fan with a high CFM rating gives you plenty of exhaust, but also a lot of passive intake, much better air exchange and cooling effect.

You can find them in most hydroponics stores, or if not a hardware store should have them too. Just remember 6 inch inline duct fan. Then you'll also want some ducting to run the air through. If discretion is a must, say you remodeled your bathroom and now your dryer is on the other side from the exhaust and you need a booster fan in the middle.

what size is the tent?

find the volume of your tent in cubic feet, (lengthxwidthxheight) and get a fan that can clear the room efficiently, people go anywhere from once every 2 minutes (fan cfm = 1/2 tent volume) to several times a minute.

i use a 4x4x6.5 (104 cu/ft) and run a 6" 160CFM inline duct fan to both scrub the tent 1.5 times a minute and cool my HID; $35 bucks at the hardware store.

most of the ones at hydro shops are pretty expensive, but some of them carry similar fans to the one i have as well.

oh ok, so its a 2'x4'x5' which is 40 cu/ft in tent volume

you could probably get away with a decent computer fan if its just to freshen the air, and aren't worried about scrubbing the scent, but will probably want a bit of extra CFM to deal with heat and humidity;

the one you linked will work, but it will clear the room 6.25 times a minute, so you may want to get a fan controller for it to adjust the speed (~$25 @ grow shop)

anything from 60-150CFM would probably be fine.. i see there is a 4" fan on the same page you linked at 80CFM, which would clear your space twice a minute. even if you lost 20% cfm with a filter, you'd be at 60CFM for 1.5 times a minute, which is right around where my ventilation is.

if you don't want to buy a controller, you could always try the 4 inch and if its not enough take it back :p

TMAC23: I am a CFL grower, so here is what works for me. I have a perpetual grow.

The number of plants in each grow area varies from 1 to 6. Outdoors, the amount of light available for each plant depends on the season, not the number of plants, so don't worry about how many watts/plant. Figure watts per SF in an enclosed area.

I maintain a 600w to 1000w output (23w rated cfls) in both Daylight and Soft white for veg.

I have 4 of the bulbs on a separate timer in the veg tent to come on for 4 hours midday to simulate the position of the sun outdoors.

My veg area is 9 sq ft. My Flower area (in a closet) is 8 sq. ft.

I use 1000 total output in Veg and 800 total output in Flower.

You can use socket doublers to put two bulbs in each lamp, but you will have to remove the reflectors, as they won't fit. There are other configuration options, and you'll need to go with what you can afford.

Daylight is best for veg. Soft white is best for Flower. But it doesn't hurt to have a few bulbs of the opposite wavelength for a good mix.

Caution: Daylights are VERY bright to the human eye. Wear sunglasses when working in the grow tent, or you will see spots for a while when you are done!

You can experiment with large cfls. Cfls don't give off much heat, so I ventilate with one desk fan in each area, with a passive opening to let the air circulate. For example, I have a white shower curtain instead of a closet door, which I leave open about 4" for ventilation. It keeps the temp around 80 deg F. In the "tent", which is 2 shelving units covered with white tarps, is partially left open at the top to vent warmer air. That space maintains an 80 def F temp, as well.

I also have a small humidifier in the veg "tent", which brings the RH between 30 and 40% in the winter and up to 60% in summer.

So I hope all this isn't TMI, and is somewhat helpful.

That fan will probably do the job, but you will need LOTS more light to grow that many plants. Honestly, in a tent that size you could easily fill it with one or two. If you want to grow several small plants, grow 12/12 from the beginning. CFLs are effective, but they need to be kept very close to the plant - like 2". I don't see that happening with 2 bulbs per plant unless they are tiny.

I have a small Suncourt inline fan. Their specs are pretty much BS. They are sold as "booster" fans. That means they can move their rated CFM if placed into a duct that already has close to that much airflow. The reality is, if you have a couple of bends in your ducting and a filter, they crap out on their rated airflow immediately. Since you have cool lighting and a small tent it could work for you.

:goodluck: and :welcome:

Adding to what PITA said: You need to position the CFL bulbs horizontally, where the most effective light is, and keep them 2" from the topmost leaves. You have utility lamps, which should be adjustable. You might have to raise the plants on boxes to get them up close and personal with the lighting, and adjust the set-up every day or so. I certainly do with the juveniles, because they grow so fast. While in flower, if any stretching occurs, I have to adjust the lights up and lower the plants so they don't touch the bulbs.

If you're growing autos, lighting schedule doesn't mean much. Amount of lighting does, however, in how big they get. Autos will flower when their genetics tell them to.

What PITA recommends about growing a lot of small plants directly to flower is for growers who want a quick harvest, and want to get several harvests in one season. Another option for a small grow is to grow fewer, but larger plants, leaving them in Veg longer, and putting to flower only one or two at a time for a perpetual harvest. You can then clone your favorite plants to replace them as they are moved up the line.

PITA represents experience and success. I represent growing on a much smaller, and least expensive scale (and, of course, lower yields) LOL!

I have a small Suncourt inline fan. Their specs are pretty much BS. They are sold as "booster" fans.

i was wondering about this on the linked fan; the fan I'm using said on the box: 160CFM/250CFM boost, i wouldn't be surprised if that fan is identical.

i have mine attached directly to my cool tube, pulling thru carbon and blowing on my 600W HPS to exhaust, and it seems to work ok; should work fine for a CFL tent! <carbon -> fan -> exhaust> no corners needed!

Back
Top Bottom