Whats the cause for Foxtailing?

Hi Tris420,

Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll give the thread a bump by responding. I've experienced it as well and that led to a great deal of reading on my part. Not sure I know more after reading than I did before. Several grows ago, I unintentionally stressed (heat, PH changes, lack of water, etc...) the fire out of the plants in which I experienced the foxtailing, but not sure that the correlation can be affirmed as a causation.

In my reading, I found a foxtail related question thread that contained one of those "...a guy I knew, knew a guy, that was a legendary grower for 70 plus yrs :thedoubletake:..... that wouldn't ever harvest until his plants foxtailed" LOL. If memory serves the gentleman referenced attributed it to later summer heat, lack of water and/or nutrients.

I can attest that in the plants in which I experienced it, even with all the adversity, still smoked just fine! :smokin:

Be well and happy growing!

The plant can't cool. Lights should be a minimum of 2 ft away. In commercial grows, lights are 4ft to 6ft away. Foxtailing only happens when genetics call for it when all variables are in check.

Leaves curling in are trying to protect its self from the intense light and heat. There's only so much light a plant can use. Extended Pistils and new growth on top of buds is the plant overheating and trying to cool. If it can't expel water and oxygen from its leaves, it will not be able to take in water and nutrients from the root system. Another form of nutrient lockout.

Back
Top Bottom