Setting up for first grow - Critiques and advice welcome

Bevman

Been lurking around for a while and doing a lot of reading and I got most of my stuff together. This is what I got so far.

Equipment:
4x4 Apollo tent
600w light set (lumatek ballast, ipower hps bulb, cooltube wing)
6 x 24 Carbon filter (a bit over kill, but I want no smell in the house)
6" 400 fps fan (separate controller, gonna run on lowest setting. I wanted to go big so I can run slow and hopefully quiet)
3 & 7 Gallon Fabric pots (will be running with the 3 gallon)
Oscillating tower fan (already owned, may get something different)
Ona (in case I need to run the exhaust over it to further kill any remaining smell)

Soil (already mixed) (I read that soil is the most forgiving and recommended for first couple grows)
2 Ocean Forest
2 Happy Frog (saved about 1/3 bag for starting the seeds in solo cups)
8lbs worm castings

Nutes
Dyna Gro (all three, heard it was the easiest, I plan on not giving nutes first 2 weeks then start with 1/8 of recommended and slowly rising to 1/2 as the soil has plenty of nutes in it already... I may start with 1/4 Pro-TeKt and raise to full strength for stronger plants)

Seeds (ordered and waiting, went with autos cause I read they are the easiest)
Nirvana Jock Horror Auto
Nirvana Swiss Cheese Auto.
Nirvana Raspberry Cough Reg (first order, really wanted, but should have gotten feminized, probably try 2nd or 3rd grow)

Let me know if I am missing anything or completely off track here.

Been lurking around for a while and doing a lot of reading and I got most of my stuff together. This is what I got so far.

Equipment:
4x4 Apollo tent
600w light set (lumatek ballast, ipower hps bulb, cooltube wing)
6 x 24 Carbon filter (a bit over kill, but I want no smell in the house)
6" 400 fps fan (separate controller, gonna run on lowest setting. I wanted to go big so I can run slow and hopefully quiet)
3 & 7 Gallon Fabric pots (will be running with the 3 gallon)
Oscillating tower fan (already owned, may get something different)
Ona (in case I need to run the exhaust over it to further kill any remaining smell)

Soil (already mixed) (I read that soil is the most forgiving and recommended for first couple grows)
2 Ocean Forest
2 Happy Frog (saved about 1/3 bag for starting the seeds in solo cups)
8lbs worm castings

Nutes
Dyna Gro (all three, heard it was the easiest, I plan on not giving nutes first 2 weeks then start with 1/8 of recommended and slowly rising to 1/2 as the soil has plenty of nutes in it already... I may start with 1/4 Pro-TeKt and raise to full strength for stronger plants)

Seeds (ordered and waiting, went with autos cause I read they are the easiest)
Nirvana Jock Horror Auto
Nirvana Swiss Cheese Auto.
Nirvana Raspberry Cough Reg (first order, really wanted, but should have gotten feminized, probably try 2nd or 3rd grow)

Let me know if I am missing anything or completely off track here.

looks good to me sounds like you've got the basics down. I've used Dyna grow products and was very happy with what I got. Are you using the silica/pro tekt? If not I would highly recommend it to build strong stems. I went half way with dyn when i ran it, meaning half strength of what they said but i didn't run it long and bet once you know that line and your strains, you can feed full strength. but I always like to go slow and easy to get a feel for things. I dont know those strains but Nirvana has been around and that says something. Good luck, start a journal and you'll get more out than you put in.

Thanks for the feedback and the mentioning of the grow journal. I was planning on doing one, and your comment makes me want to do it even more.

I do have the Pro-TeKt and plan on using it, I read somewhere that it is the really good even if you are not using the other two Dyna Gro nutes.

Thanks for the feedback and the mentioning of the grow journal. I was planning on doing one, and your comment makes me want to do it even more.

I do have the Pro-TeKt and plan on using it, I read somewhere that it is the really good even if you are not using the other two Dyna Gro nutes.

When i went back and read, not skimmed, i noticed where you said you have and plan to use pro tekt, yeah, that's a little secret a friend shared with me years ago. Good stuff.

One thing i thought about after is thinking about adding a temp controller for your exhaust system. I just got one and wish i had it years ago. Basically it'll kick on your exhaust fan once the temp reader hits temps in the range you select. Seriously, best piece of gear i have. I used to run my exhaust on a timer, so it'd get by, but now i set my fan speed controller at mid way, then my temp controller to kick my can fan on when the room hits 80. Is super easy and was only 60 bucks on slamazon.

Best advice I've got and tried/try to work on is controlling the grow environment, do that and the rest is easy.

Good luck. :Namaste:

When i went back and read, not skimmed, i noticed where you said you have and plan to use pro tekt, yeah, that's a little secret a friend shared with me years ago. Good stuff.

One thing i thought about after is thinking about adding a temp controller for your exhaust system. I just got one and wish i had it years ago. Basically it'll kick on your exhaust fan once the temp reader hits temps in the range you select. Seriously, best piece of gear i have. I used to run my exhaust on a timer, so it'd get by, but now i set my fan speed controller at mid way, then my temp controller to kick my can fan on when the room hits 80. Is super easy and was only 60 bucks on slamazon.

Best advice I've got and tried/try to work on is controlling the grow environment, do that and the rest is easy.

Good luck. :Namaste:

Great info, will be looking up a temp controller tonight. Want to keep this as easy as I can. At least for now. Thanks again.

Sounds like every think is in check.

Smell ah well the filters mainly do a good job but some strains can be a little over smelly at times may test the best of filters... personally i just back up odour control with odour removing gels etc dotted about house, works a treat :thumb:

Also as you are running 2 x fans / speed controller you need to make sure you get negative pressure in the tent with the sides being slightly sucked in this also helps reduce odour escape.

Speed controllers set to low may cause bearing rattle on the fans as fans are design to run at speed, some brands of fans deal with this better than others tho, so you may need to play around a little to find the right setting & get negative pressure.

Thanks Fuzzy,

I actually bought a gallon of Ona, was planning to vent the tent to a chamber with some Ona inside, then vent out to the house. However the other day I made some cannabutter and my wife wanted the smell gone. So I broke open the Ona in one side of my house and used the fan/filter setup on the other. It took care of the smell quick. My wife actually really liked the smell and now I have it all throughout the house anyway. She now wants me to buy the fresh linen one. Works way better then anything we have used before. I am learning a lot even before my first grow starts.

Back
Top Bottom