Anyone have success with Aquaponics?

We've also wondered about this. Would love to have bud on top and tilapia on bottom.
But we know very little about either at this point...

[video]
This is my older grow.

[video]
Heres a look at my upgraded grow.

I use low pressure Aeroponics, so clogged sprinkle heads are a normal daily headache.
I run continuous spray, as my fish need good clean water to live. I also grow using trout which is a harder fish to keep.

My target nutrients and water readings:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrites: 0.0
Nitrates: 0-400+ppms
Phosphate: 30-40ppms
Potassium: 235ppms (or 2/3 of nitrate, or 2× your phosphate)
Calcium: 100-200ppms
Magnesium: 48ppms
Iron (Fe): 2-3ppms
Boron: 0.5
Manganese: 0.5-1.0ppms
Zinc: 0.05ppms
Molybdenum: 0.02ppms
Copper: 0.02ppms

WOW! That is amazing to see in action. Most folks on the line talk about how it's not a real option. So to see a setup re motivates me to try it.

How do you keep your ph in range for the plants?
Do you have to ph the water ever?

Yes, I'm cheap, so I use tap water. It's very high pH, so I use phosphoric acid.
Sorry, I don't know of any plants that like saltwater other than seaweed.

Awe ok, do you have to supplement the plants with fertilizer or do you get all they need just from the fish water?

Yes, I supplement nutrients the fish and fish food can't supply. Rock Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, and FeEDDHA is all I use after high quality fish feed. All organic or food grade.

Premixes like General Hydroponics and Advanced Nutrients are very expensive. The combination of Aquaponics and the small amount of additives I use are about $50 a year, and like I mentioned, I can eat the fish.
It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'll never go back to soil or hydroponic methods.

I've upgraded themain fishtank, since the video was taken, so the Brookies will grow to a foot and a half easy. Raindow tend to stay smaller.

I fully see the advantages of having a system that'll give you 2 crops instead of one. This has been a want of ours for a couple years now.
The biggest hurdle we've had is the lack of experience and lack of a good starting plan.
We're not real sure how to go about setting one up and what all we'd need to start a good system.
Our dreams are to have a small, home aquaponic farm and raise tilapia, trout and even saltwater shrimp.
In the desert southwest.
You have an amazing setup.
Do you have to have strong water flow for trout?

Back
Top Bottom