Good Air Pump For A DWC Setup?

kaivorth

What is a good size pump for a DWC contained in an 18 or 45gallon tote with 2 plants? Planning my next grow :D

I'm going to currently use it to bubble my earth juice mix, but might as well get one big enough for my future DWC system.

Budget is key

What is a good size pump for a DWC contained in an 18 or 45gallon tote with 2 plants? Planning my next grow :D

I'm going to currently use it to bubble my earth juice mix, but might as well get one big enough for my future DWC system.

Budget is key

Check my blog for photos of my 27 gal dwc tote. I use two lines from a 4 line pump to run it. The Roost link below, last page or two, will show the plant I have flowering in it now.

I suggest you place each plant in a separate DWC. <SHRUGS> But that's just me.

I also suggest that, in addition to a good air pump, you add an aquarium "power head" to each reservoir. It'll add mad amounts of DO (dissolved oxygen) and keep things stirred up. They look like this:
tominaga_dive_power_85_aquarium_power_head.jpg

They come with a tube that attaches to the underneath, so they can "pull" from the bottom of the reservoir. That clear tube extends out of the reservior, and the flow jets out behind that shield (which is adjustable for direction). The act of pumping creates a venturi effect, which causes air to be drawn through that clear tubing and injected into the flow.

They're pretty cheap. In fact... <SHH!> Don't tell anyone I suggested you shop at WalMart, lol, but you can pick one up there for about $21.52. Or even online:
Aqua-Tech Power Head Submersible Black Pump for Aquariums - Walmart.com

I firmly believe that those things are what allowed my garden to not only survive, but thrive when I grew in an environment that occasionally saw lights-on temperatures pass 100°F a few times. That, extreme airflow across the plants' leaves, and the willingness to add back 7 - 13 gallons of water per reservoir (towards the end of flowering, when temperatures were at their worst) so that the plants could transpire all the moisture they were capable of as a natural cooling device. Sure, the buds that harvest were a little airier and leafier than I was used to - but the few people who saw the grow environment figured I'd harvest nothing but a few crunchy twigs (and lots of sorrow) ;) .

I'm still not sold on the "Venturi" air pump. I've been looking into them as they peaked my interest, but I concluded that yes they make bubbles, but they heat up your reservoir, and don't do a better job than air stones already.

2-3 air stones would more than likely do a better job I'm thinking. I could be wrong. I'm not sure if I'll be doing 1 or 2 plants yet. I might try to convert a cooler into a DWC for insulating the res easier

What air pump between these 2?

Tetra 77855 Whisper Air Pump, 100-Gallon
Hydrofarm AAPA15L 6-Watt 15-LPM Active Aqua Air Pump with 4 Outlets

Both are $20 on Amazon. Would these be good for 1-2 plants in a 18 gallon tote?

What air pump between these 2?

Tetra 77855 Whisper Air Pump, 100-Gallon
Hydrofarm AAPA15L 6-Watt 15-LPM Active Aqua Air Pump with 4 Outlets

Both are $20 on Amazon. Would these be good for 1-2 plants in a 18 gallon tote?

I am using the Hydrofarm Active Aqua listed above and have for 18 months. Currently it is providing enough air to supply two 5 gallon buckets, and a tote with 20 gallons and an almost 6 month old plant. Check my blog and The Roost to see in depth photos of the set up.

I am using the Hydrofarm Active Aqua listed above and have for 18 months. Currently it is providing enough air to supply two 5 gallon buckets, and a tote with 20 gallons and an almost 6 month old plant. Check my blog and The Roost to see in depth photos of the set up.

Good to know! I think that'll be my next setup after I finish this soil grow.

Right now I'm running 6 buckets in DWC using an Elemental Solutions Commercial O2 Pump.

Five-gallon buckets, or some larger size?

Would you happen to know what your average dissolved oxygen content is? My DO meter is, sadly, long gone.

An air pump is a wholly all-important and effective tool you must add on your tank. The air pump has a great deal of positive advantages to your tank making the fish comfortable and happier. Therefore, after carrying out my research concerning one of the top air pump thanks to this article, I have selected to go with Tetra Whisper Air pump.

I'd earnestly appreciate if you could kindly please share your opinion. :thumb:

I like general hydros for like 75. Does what it needs to do and a roll of 1/4in porous tubing and connectors and t's. 15 on amazon. Air, which to my liking, has a rebuildable manifold so parts are cheap. And the tubing makes bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom