How do I use the FIM technique on my plant?

In addition to simply low stress training a plant from the start you can also create multiple tops. These additional tops can then be trained in the same fashion as only Lst'ing.

First things first, Make sure to sterilize your cutting instrument before cutting any part of a plant, number one rule. Can't be over emphasized

The FIM technique is also a way to create multiple tops. It is very similar to topping, and it is topping except... F@#% I missed. If your like me to can't wait to do things (torture) to your plants. Sometimes the node is barely clear of the top's tip when you feel the urge to cut it. This when I usually FIM. But let's have a look at what I'm trying to explain. I found this depiction of what a FIM looks like.
Screenshot_2016-05-25-20-51-46.png

Here's the plant in question, it has four full nodes and is working on its fifth, can you see the little leafs that have just been produced from the stem' tip. There are many smaller leaves within this "creation chamber" of the plant. Note that this will take longer to "reboot" the plant in comparison to simply topping, the Fim'ed top may be shocked for a few days and I've had my tips turn red and/or look burnt from hence shock.
20160518_180236.jpg

When you cut this part of the top it may create 4 or more tops. Depending on how many of the unseen leafs you have cut off.
20160518_180321.jpg

This is what I cut off. See the base of the stem is wadded together, I could have taken a little tiny bit more off but...these clumps are what you want to see.
20160518_180400.jpg

The stem tip remaining will grow back slowly into any number of tops. It also may look burnt or may turn reddish in colour, Meanwhile your lower shoots will be trying to get to be dominant. You'll need to train them to stay below or level with the fimmed top.
20160518_180504.jpg

As those lower shoots hopefully start to grow, I've not fed it much yet, we'll focus on the development up top. It's been a few days since the cut and it's recovering nicely.
20160523_120314.jpg

You can start to make out the leaves coming out on top. Cut in half obviously but still growing none the less.
20160523_120337.jpg

Next day it's a little more evident that there will be quite a few tops will come from this Fimming.
20160524_163423.jpg

20160524_163543.jpg

An a day after that, you can clearly see that there are at least 4 sets of leaves emerging, that equals 8 new growth points.
20160525_143043.jpg

20160525_143200.jpg

WARNING it's important to remember that this applies only to photoperiod plants. I would not recommend using the FIM technique on autoflowering plants. It causes too much delay in growth so that it will likely hinder harvest weights. WARNING

This is the first instalment of my tutorial for using the FIM technique to create multiple tops for your plant. Let me know what you think. I'm sure I missed a few things, so don't be afraid to help me add to this, Thank you.

Keep Training, Keep Learning, Keep Sharing
:ciao:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

OK then. So we're again a few days further along, and the growth up top has accelerated. It's time to take control of this plant and prevent her from stretching to high vertically.

If you were to scrog the plant you will start your training once these branches get some length to them. Grown on the vertical instead of doing the following LST, you will have lots of branches to mold to your liking once they stretch a little more.
20160527_151254.jpg

I have six nodes all stacked up now at the top of my plant. Equalling 12 growth tips packed into about an inch of stem. This is going well...

20160527_151304.jpg

Since space is limited and I've decided to keep a low profile plant for outdoors, I have simply LST'ed the whole plant. I bent it in half starting at the second node. And staked it down most of the way horizontal at first, then a few hours later I gave it the finishing touch to get it sideways. Although this can be done over a few days to avoid snapping the stem. (if it has already hardened too much)

I've attached my counter acting stem brace, and I began to bend the stem very carefully.

20160527_204034.jpg

I also removed the growth tip and leaf facing downward which was under the bend point. This will give the top growth tip (now at the bend) priority. And will soon become, if left untrained, the new mainstem and the FIM branches can be trained however you desire. But I will be sending it in the opposite direction of the FIM'ed end.

20160527_204058.jpg

20160527_204108.jpg

This is a simple solution to height limited space environments. It requires patience and some time as to not make mistakes that could delay growth in a very important stage in development. Please use a steady set of hand and don't put too much pressure when bending any stems.

I will continue the training over the next week and update soon, our next step will be deciding where to send all the new growth tips.

Please feel free to add your thoughts, I am worried that I'm missing something. I've not scrogged in the past so my thoughts on that are speculative at best, I am of my own opinion regarding this.

Keep Training, Keep Learning, Keep Sharing
:ciao:

KiG :green_heart:Cheers

Looking forward to following your grow. I just started an outfit grow, few unknown strains. I find this useful and will FIM and bend the same time you did. 5 Node maybe

OK then. So we're again a few days further along, and the growth up top has accelerated. It's time to take control of this plant and prevent her from stretching to high vertically.

If you were to scrog the plant you will start your training once these branches get some length to them. Grown on the vertical instead of doing the following LST, you will have lots of branches to mold to your liking once they stretch a little more.

I thought FIMming was used mainly on plants that you don't want to do much training on. Interesting that you're doing LST also. Is there really much benefit in FIM to create branching when you're also creating branching/colas from LST?

I'm following all 3 tutorials and using each. So far topping seems to be creating more growth than LST, but LST has a few more bud sites and may be about to take off. I &$%#! up my first FIM attempt so too soon to compare results of 2nd attempt.

Like you I'm trying to keep low profile in backyard. Great time for these tutorials to pop up. Thanks!

Hey Kingston, FIM technique is definitely not my speciality. I usually top and train for a low profile. You're correct in thinking that FIM is possibly a training free technique, creating many tops that can grow Willy nilly. But if height restrictions are an issue then they'll need to be LST or HST 'd which was my case.

They've all been abandoned now, and I've asked folks to contribute their pics to show how they have fared with these training styles. Thanks for your support, these threads are for everyone to be comfortable in attempting different grow strategies.

Haha, kinda funny now that I look through your tutorials again that I am now realizing that I didn't FIM my plants. Somehow I missed the FIM and barely even topped them. What would we call that when we missed the FIM?(F%*# I Missed) hahah double miss :rofl:

A quick question from someone who grew up hearing eat all your food, there's starving kids in Africa who'd kill to have your crusts and subsequently hates to see anything go to waste - why did you abandon them?

A quick question from someone who grew up hearing eat all your food, there's starving kids in Africa who'd kill to have your crusts and subsequently hates to see anything go to waste - why did you abandon them?

They were all bagseeds, I had grown them out to test their viability at first. Then I was asked to do some sort of tutorials for training. So I decided to let them grow out for a while longer, as to be able to show folks the most important part of the training processes (check my other tutorials too). But the main reason was NO SPACE in the Tents for the extra "Questionable" gender plants. Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, if you have anything to add please feel free. This thread is open for all to show off their FIMs.

KiG GGstar :green_heart:cheers

I have not utilized it myself for an actual grow. To me it is too risky and unpredictable. I like straight up topping my ladies. I've done quite a few now and I'm very comfortable with the process off topping and training. With fimming I'd need to rethink my strategies. But a good challenge is always good for a learning experience. Check out my journals and whatnot and see what I'm talking about. Always a pleasure GGstar :Namaste:

I have fimmed and topped, personally i prefer topping because u can cut back more nodes and get a bigger main stalk. I'll veg for 3 to 4 weeks in hydro. Then cut her back 3 to 4 nodes and then after those get thick i top again. In one of my threads there is a pic of a fimmed plant you can tell its fimmed bc leaves are cut and branches growing out also. The leaves look funky because tips are cut off

It's a great plant training way, who doesn't want 4 tops as opposed to 1 or 2, I hope you change to fem beans soon so you can try it. I recommend incredible bulk, and cotton candy. Both do great with recovery time and both have great harvest if you let them. Happy growing, check out true north seeds they have all the good breeders now that Herbie's closed

Sent from my Robin using 420

Back
Top Bottom