Is this bud rot? Broken open bud

sbga420

I posted some pics of a cola that looked kind of strange to me yesterday, and today I cut it down to break it open and inspect. It does look like there are tiny white fibers in the middle on the stem and such. Is this normal?

Y6ema8t.jpg

iZQ3oGK.jpg

5xDi9On.jpg

v66gfkw.jpg

GpwCt2X.jpg

d5V2SDv.jpg

gscQSuB.jpg

I think this happened because I misted to try and combat spider mites a couple times. And I misted when I released lady buds right before lights off.. I think that brought the humidity up and brought this on. The affected plant is one in the back corner of my setup with the least air flow.. so it makes sense.

Since Im in a SOG setup with like 13 plants, should I just harvest that whole plant? It has 4 colas and only one looked like it had bud rot// but maybe I should cut the whole thing down and check it now. Also, 2 of the 13 plants in the setup are damn near ready for harvest... they have about 90% cloudy triches.. should I just harvest those ones now?

Hey sbga!

I dont grow indoors - but as you opened up the affected cola in the flowering room where the other plants are, spores are the problem. I would harvest anything that is ready or near, and you will have to keep a daily close eye on every cola in that room, so you can hopefully catch any further BR as quickly as possible so that if it spreads, you lose colas rather than whole plants.

I removed that bud from the grow closet and took it into another room to break it up. Still though - im going to increase air flow and try to keep this from spreading. And harvest all plants that are close to ready when lights come on

Sorry but i totaly disagree. Were talking about rot, its nothing that we can debate or give opinion about, its DANGEROUS! It can kill you! Fungis spread by spores, tiny tiny powders leaking out of every little hole, even if you cant see them they are there. Ask any physicians near you.
If your life depends on using this bud, give it sometime and use UV and microscope(60* would be enough) to check for fungis(proteins light up in uv. fungis,body fluids,.... All contain protein). Watch for any fungi spreading.
Please dont underestimate fungi danger, lets not have any regret and play it safe.
Good luck

A lot of people seem to be very frightened of mold. But the few times I researched it a little I kept turning up info saying it is fairly harmless. Some people with compromised respiratory systems apparently could have reactions to it. Or so I read. Is there a lot of reliable mainstream info saying otherwise?

A lot of people seem to be very frightened of mold. But the few times I researched it a little I kept turning up info saying it is fairly harmless. Some people with compromised respiratory systems apparently could have reactions to it. Or so I read. Is there a lot of reliable mainstream info saying otherwise?

Mould is relatively harmless if not we would not have penicillin, Blue Cheeses and such. The problem is not all mould is friendly that's why sometimes one has to throw away a starter mother yeast, when the wrong spores and bacteria jump in with the stuff one is trying to grow. I love mushrooms but I'm never tempted to pick them in the wild because it can easily end in tears if one picks one of the 10% that are poisonous. The principle is the same.....

He most certainly cannot smoke or use any of the buds he posted with the mould having a good foothold in the cola. But unaffected bud is safe. Even if they have been in the same flowering room as the affected plant.

We all breathe in spores and bacteria on a daily basis, because they are part of the building blocks of life itself. So absolutely nothing to get hysterical about.

Also sbga - you need to also be extra vigilant while drying and curing because your bud has been exposed to BR spores and if the conditions are favourable (humid and warm) you could get mould in your curing jars and your drying area.

Don't worry, you know the enemy and that's enough to stay on top of the issue.

Some people are deathly allergic to mold spores, no matter how the spores get into the body. There is good reason to be overly cautious. Professionals wear hazmat suits when they remove mold from buildings so the spores don't get into their lungs.

Did this mold have an off odor?

yup, cause you know them mexicans checked every bud back in the day, we NEVER smoked mold in those $15 lids....

I assume this is irony? Back in the day we didn't know just how harmful ingesting or inhaling mold spores could be. Plus a lot more allergies are showing up now-a-days than back-in-the-day.

Back
Top Bottom