Very different pH readings?

MrRudeSnowman

Hi,

I have PH indicator drops and that simple PH meter with one node that does not need calibration.

Big difference in readings. Drops are like a year old... would that impact the way they work?

Should meter at all be used to measure water PH?

I have AD12 coming in next week but still... seeds where planted today and i don't want to do any damage.

I would go by the meter as long as it was pre-calibrated properly. Try testing it in some white vinegar, I believe I remember someone saying that it has a ph of right around 4. That will give you a good idea at least to how close it is. I'm not really sure if the ph test drops go bad but that is what I am currently using. they may go bad if they are left out in the light or if they get to hot or cold possibly.

How different is your meter reading from the drops?

Remember that drops are kind of subjective to how you really the colours.

It took me a while to believe my meter, but I back up all of my readings with ph indicators.

I use Bromothymol blue and Bromocresol green so I can verify ph readings between 5.5 and 6.0

Drops do degrade over time, but one year they should be accurate.
Some PH meters are garbage. I've never seen one that is accurate with a single probe.

How different is your meter reading from the drops?

Remember that drops are kind of subjective to how you really the colours.

It took me a while to believe my meter, but I back up all of my readings with ph indicators.

I use Bromothymol blue and Bromocresol green so I can verify ph readings between 5.5 and 6.0

Drops show lower levels. Meter i think is right to show ph 4 when put into diluted phosphoric acid i use to lower water ph level.

It depends on how dilute your phosphoric acid is. A more dilute solution will have a higher pH, which is why it is important to pick up a calibration solution/ buffer.

I know the drops show different levels depending on the color they turn, but I sometimes have a hard time telling between yellow and yellowish green, which could be anywhere from 4-6 sometimes.

I calibrated my cheap pH meter with 7.0 buffer and use it for an estimate.

Bromocresol green is green color below pH of 5.4 but turns royal blue at 5.5+. I don't want my pH that low, but it verifies to me that my pH is above an acceptable minimum.
Bromothymol blue is yellow below 6.0 and green above that.

I usually add pH up until the meter says about 5.8-5.9, and then verify with the Bromothymol blue that the colour is still yellow, indicating that the pH hasn't crept too high or that my meter is way off.

I know you're running soil, which allows for a higher pH so the numbers you are looking for are a bit different.

415, thanks for your input.

Can any comparison be drawn between PH drops and Bromocresol/Bromothymol? Drops should show yellow color when PH is at 6,5.

Anyways, i see your method is quite smart much more fail safe.

I just now realized that soil has to be right PH and if it isn't not much can be done in a sense that simple measurements show how long PH'd water can change PH in soil. And time is quite short. Lesson learned. It's just strange i was able to complete this many grows with no problems up til now.

It depends on how dilute your phosphoric acid is. A more dilute solution will have a higher pH, which is why it is important to pick up a calibration solution/ buffer.

I know the drops show different levels depending on the color they turn, but I sometimes have a hard time telling between yellow and yellowish green, which could be anywhere from 4-6 sometimes.

I calibrated my cheap pH meter with 7.0 buffer and use it for an estimate.

Bromocresol green is green color below pH of 5.4 but turns royal blue at 5.5+. I don't want my pH that low, but it verifies to me that my pH is above an acceptable minimum.
Bromothymol blue is yellow below 6.0 and green above that.

I usually add pH up until the meter says about 5.8-5.9, and then verify with the Bromothymol blue that the colour is still yellow, indicating that the pH hasn't crept too high or that my meter is way off.

I know you're running soil, which allows for a higher pH so the numbers you are looking for are a bit different.

PH drops are just another pH indicator, but change to several different colours over a range of pHs, which makes it harder to decide where you are (for me at least) because you have to make a judgement call on what colour it matches up with.

With Bromocresol, if it's clearly blue the pH is above 5.5 but if it's kind of greenish, it's somewhere between 4 and 5.5.
With Bromothymol blue, if it's yellow, it's below 6 and if it's greenish, it's between 6 and 7.4.

They create the perfect combination for testing pH if you are aiming for around 5.7 or 5.8.

Ok so the AD12 tester came in. Now i use 10ml of dilluted PH down per 2L water instead of 14ml that i did before. Pretty big difference. Will see how it affects the new grow but all things considered i can see some improvements already. According to new meter i was using water of ph5... no wonder things where bad.

PH drops are just another pH indicator, but change to several different colours over a range of pHs, which makes it harder to decide where you are (for me at least) because you have to make a judgement call on what colour it matches up with.

With Bromocresol, if it's clearly blue the pH is above 5.5 but if it's kind of greenish, it's somewhere between 4 and 5.5.
With Bromothymol blue, if it's yellow, it's below 6 and if it's greenish, it's between 6 and 7.4.

They create the perfect combination for testing pH if you are aiming for around 5.7 or 5.8.

Back
Top Bottom