What's the best LED light?

WebbiesTerps

I'm tired of reading reviews and forum post by people who are promoting/advertising lights. I want input from real growers and people who have used more than light to answer what really is the best LED light???? I know there isn't one light to perfectly replicate the sun, maybe you know of a combination of two lights that work well? I want to talk with as many people possible before investing so much money into lights. Also, is veg with CFLs and then flower under LEDs a good idea?

This is a subjective question to say the least, so it's hard to answer. Different people have different needs/budgets/etc. On a budget it seems hard to beat Mars Hydro. On the upper end you have LEDRF who just came out with the Perfect Sun and then there are the Amare lights which make some bold claims, but seem to grow some decent bud at 450 watts. Another route you could go would be DIY LED using Cree COBs, this will get you a damn good light for a lower price than a prebuilt unit. There are a lot of options out there, but I feel that these 4 options cover your bases pretty well. Good luck.

Budget makes a big difference. I was looking for a lower end light to get me the most watts/$ and settled on Mars Hydro in the end... And then I found a cheaper LED less than 3 days later. Lol

Be careful, a lot of manufacturers list their maximum wattage but run them at about 50%, so if it says 600w, it may only pull 300w whereas others will state this actual draw right up front and maybe look less desirable

Money is not an issue here! If I have to spend a couple gs on a light that last 5 years and really will make a big difference in my yield I have the money and am willing to invest it. I don't want to if I'm going to find out there is a better light for way cheaper 3 days later just like you said. JuanCarlo I am interested in the DIY what other supplies would I need other than the cree cobs to make a fully functioning light??

What's the best LED light

You need a driver, cob holders (the ones from ideal look pretty slick), heat sinks for each led, low voltage power transformer for your fans on your heat sinks (if you get ones with fans) and aluminum angle for your frame/support. Some thermal paste or stickers to help transfer heat from the led to the heat sinks is a good idea, too.

I'm in the process of exploring DIY cobs as well, and i may have missed some small items, but those are the major components

I have been thinking about the DIY option as well. while i haven't looked into it much yet, From my experience with high end LED flashlights, it should be pretty easy to make a damn good light with some basic electrical knowledge. keep us updated if you decide to go the route, im sure i cant be the only one interested in doing this.

Money is not an issue here! If I have to spend a couple gs on a light that last 5 years and really will make a big difference in my yield I have the money and am willing to invest it. I don't want to if I'm going to find out there is a better light for way cheaper 3 days later just like you said. JuanCarlo I am interested in the DIY what other supplies would I need other than the cree cobs to make a fully functioning light??

You need a driver, cob holders (the ones from ideal look pretty slick), heat sinks for each led, low voltage power transformer for your fans on your heat sinks (if you get ones with fans) and aluminum angle for your frame/support. Some thermal paste or stickers to help transfer heat from the led to the heat sinks is a good idea, too.

I'm in the process of exploring DIY cobs as well, and i may have missed some small items, but those are the major components

I have been thinking about the DIY option as well. while i haven't looked into it much yet, From my experience with high end LED flashlights, it should be pretty easy to make a damn good light with some basic electrical knowledge. keep us updated if you decide to go the route, im sure i cant be the only one interested in doing this.

If you are looking at DIY LED grow lights, simply Google RIU DIY LED. Hundreds of pages to read with all the information you could possibly want.

Site sponsor Timber grow lights also offers DIY kits here: PRODUCTS - DIY GROW LIGHT KITS - Timber Grow Lights

I'm tired of reading reviews and forum post by people who are promoting/advertising lights. I want input from real growers and people who have used more than light to answer what really is the best LED light???? I know there isn't one light to perfectly replicate the sun, maybe you know of a combination of two lights that work well? I want to talk with as many people possible before investing so much money into lights. Also, is veg with CFLs and then flower under LEDs a good idea?

Would be nice if we had a par rating on the lights to help understand their actual output.....

Back
Top Bottom