Light and plants

DocSizzle

How many plants can I put in a 8x8 tent and how much light do I need? What's the required amount light for said space and number of plants?

That's a lot of space. It will depend on plant size and how you intend to use the space, and if you have space outside the tents. For instance, a lot of hobby growers use a 4x4 tent, and yours is 4 times larger. In those 4x4s we generally run 4-8 plants. You can get 8 small ones or 4 big ones. So, in theory, you could run 4 times that many. But ... you can reach all the way into a 4x4 ... not an 8x8. So, you'll have to leave yourself an aisle - some space in the middle where you can get to all the plants.

Lighting is something that's easy to get sidetracked by. Once you're in the 40 watt per square foot range, it's more useful to upgrade your humidity and temperature controls. 50 watts/sqft is about as much as you should think about. Efficiency varies according to the source, and as a rule, go figure, the most efficient are the most expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley: In a space that large, two 1000W double-ended HPS would be the best value. They're VERY efficient for a hps, and they're cheap. LED panels would be a bit more expensive but not much more efficient, and can be bought as a bunch of smaller panels to spread the light better than the 2 bright hps. Or you could go really spendy and rig an array of super efficient COB LEDs by Cree and Bridgelux and Citizen, etc. There would be very little heat from the COBs. The DE hps can be vented in hoods, but LED panels just blow their heat into the air.

:bongrip: Let us know if you need more info.

I'd up it a little and go with a minimum of 3KW of light regardless of what type of light. I'd also use several lights so you can get better coverage and flexibility in height and placement. Five 600W HPS will probably be the least expensive method in up-front costs as long as you can control the heat. I prefer a quick veg so I can turn the space over faster. I'd put 25 in there if it is going to be both a veg and bloom room. YMMV.

Mmm can not really add much else from what is mentioned above :thumb:

So ye if looking at HPS ya be running an air cooled set & you will need a large inline exhaust fan to service all 4 hoods & might get away with a couple of Y piece's of ducting at either end etc or perhaps 2 smaller exhaust to work 2 lights each but only a suggestion at the end of the day.

Total weight may be an issue to load of which the tent can handle with out bending bars etc just a little extra to think about !

I personally would run 4x600w as that will be easy to manage with temps and give good coverage. If you can fit 6 in go for it but you wont get a lot more weed as square footage is also a limiting factor. you need more head height to run 1000w hps and for tents imo 600w hps are the best route and cheapest. There are good LEDs out there also but dont be fooled by dodgey marketing telling you they 1000w equivalent but only pull a fraction of that from the wall.

It depends on how you plan to grow on plant numbers but i recommend 4 plants per 600w light grown in 22litre smart pots, in coco coir. 4 weeks veg from seed germination with lots of bending as they grow. you will bank no less than 2000grams dry doing that with any decent strain, providing you are running photo plants and not autos.

I'd up it a little and go with a minimum of 3KW of light regardless of what type of light. I'd also use several lights so you can get better coverage and flexibility in height and placement. Five 600W HPS will probably be the least expensive method in up-front costs as long as you can control the heat. I prefer a quick veg so I can turn the space over faster. I'd put 25 in there if it is going to be both a veg and bloom room. YMMV.

Those 1000W DEs are a LOT more efficient than the old-style 600W hps, though. And I just checked - the 3rd party manufacturers are now offering them under $300 each. :hmmmm: That's getting really cheap!

So ... if you arranged the plants in a U-shape, leaving a ~2x5 working space in the middle ... that'd be 3 feet deep, and 54 sqft of canopy ... 2000-2500 watts of light ... 15-25 plants ... expect 3-4 pounds yield?

Sumpin like that. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Lighting is a bit of a goose chase. You can get all engrossed in it, like consumer electronics, comparing a bunch of numbers n stuff, but it's a LOT less important than we make it out to be. Boring stuff like humidity control becomes more important very quickly. If you don't have control over your humidity and temperature, more light is just going to stress your plants. For instance, 30 watts/sqft of lighting will produce the highest yield per watt. :straightface: As you go higher, yield doesn't increase equally.

If you're just now starting to grow, don't go big with the lighting - go cheap - you're gonna want to "upgrade" sooner than you think. :laugh: And seriously, you'll have a better idea of what works best for you after you've run a few plants through the tent.

:Namaste:

Great advice from Graytail (as always).
For a first time grow, consider starting small and work your way up to the full 8'x8'. It is too easy to spend a ton of $$$ the wrong way. You need a dry run and some sample runs to find out what works best in your exact environment. Heat and A/C, possible CO2, ducting, humidity control, air circulation and more, all need to be addressed if you want to go big.

Back
Top Bottom