Do yellowing leaves slow growth? Before flush

Crippled

As the title suggests one plant has had yellowing leaves (stopped but obviously not green again) since about week 4 of 12/12. They are not fully yellow but definitely not healthy what would you do in this situation keep or remove ? Its not just the lower growth its every fan leaf. Be interesting to see what people would do in this situation strip or leave. Cheers

Leave them on until they're dead enough that they simply pop off the main stalk when pressed down at the base. Whether it's natural yellowing or from some kind of deficiency, then the leaves are dying because the plant is sapping nutrients from them, that's why it progresses through the plant. Let the plant feed off of them for as long as possible, but don't leave them hanging around as it will attract pests.

Some growers suggest that defoliating Indica strains increases yields, but I don't think this would apply to a plant that is yellowing for unnatural reasons that soon in flower. From personal experience I can tell you that they will finish out on time but it will effect yield, and removing leaves only as necessary will slow the progression. They might look ugly, but the more you pick them off the faster they will yellow on other parts of the plant until you pick off all your solar panels. Depending on what is going on this might also stress the plant as well and that late into flower that creates a risk of hermies.

As for curing the problem, not sure you still have time left for the plant to recover and it's probably in the "Oh shit I'm dying I need to reproduce" phase so any corrective measures at this point are more or less just going to mitigate yield loss, and leaves already damaged will not recover.

Cheers for your reply yeah ive been waiting for the leaves to become properly crispy before picking. I believe the cause of it was ph issues early in flower , i made the mistake of thinking it was just a nitrogen issue so upped N no fix , discovered ph issues which has now been fixed. Was just curious wether it was better to pick or leave which you have essentially answered so cheers ;)

I leave them unless they are blocking light to a bud.

Back
Top Bottom