PH lockout?

Micheals2016

So here I am, I'm on my third grow since registering and I've had two successful grows that both yielded 1lb of dried herb.
I'm on my third grow, I'm using ProMix HP that I've amended with Dolomite Lime and some bat guano. The last 2 harvests I grew were mainly Indica, I'm now trying a sativa dominent, Super Silver Haze.

I'm pretty sure I'm running into some passive ph isues and I have no idea how to fix it. The water going in ia 6.5ph and the run off is 5.5ph,Flushing only raised the run off ph to 5.7.
20170111_133541.jpg
20170111_133550.jpg
20170110_113803.jpg

The 2nd photo is a clone I took, pretty much my first clone and it's like a little mini plant.
The 1st photo shows the discoloration that I'm trying to fix.

I also use AN sensi a&b

If you're trying to correct a pH issue the water you are using to correct should be a little higher. For example, I think the correct soil pH is 6.5-7. So to bring your soil up to that range the next couple waters will need to be at a higher pH than the target - maybe 7.2-7.5 or so. Test the run off, then maybe in an hour or so test the soil too. Work your way up to the ideal range.

Hope that helps. I'm not really a soil guy, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more.

If you're trying to correct a pH issue the water you are using to correct should be a little higher. For example, I think the correct soil pH is 6.5-7. So to bring your soil up to that range the next couple waters will need to be at a higher pH than the target - maybe 7.2-7.5 or so. Test the run off, then maybe in an hour or so test the soil too. Work your way up to the ideal range.

Hope that helps. I'm not really a soil guy, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more.
That is exactly how I do it. Steve hit it right on the money. And all I use IS soil, right now Fox Farms Ocean Forrest. I don't use ph up or ph down, as my tap water is around 7.8 with a ppm of 300-420, depending on the time of day. If I ph my water, I use lime juice, sparingly. But if my ph drops to less than 6, I just don't adjust ph of my tap water. And if it is higher than 6.6-6.7, I'll use RO water, with a bit of lime juice. RO water I've noticed takes a few drops compared to tap, that takes 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. Hope this helps ya!

Thank a veteran.

So I have to just add water that is PH'd to around 7.5? Now are we talking a flush or just a basic watering until the third watering gets a higher runoff ph?

I would just flush with about half of what you would use normally, check runoff, and once it hits around lower range of 6, water regularly until you hit that sweet spot of 6.4-6.5

Thank a veteran.

I check my soil with a ph,n,p,k soil kit about once a month. I'm on my second grow, and I have never had lockout, deficiencies, or anything like that. I usually read up on a lot of stuff 5 times over before I act.

Thank a veteran.

So I have to just add water that is PH'd to around 7.5? Now are we talking a flush or just a basic watering until the third watering gets a higher runoff ph?
Sorry, I forgot to say while watering I don't ph my nutes or water until I'm back up to 6.4-6.5. Make sense?

Thank a veteran.

I'm pretty new here and just learning, my first grow in week 6 now, buy yeah I think the recommendation would be to first try just a basic watering with a higher pH'ed water and if that doesn't resolve the issue in a couple watering then consider a flush?

I'm pretty new here and just learning, my first grow in week 6 now, buy yeah I think the recommendation would be to first try just a basic watering with a higher pH'ed water and if that doesn't resolve the issue in a couple watering then consider a flush?
Ultimately it's up to you, I would flush first, half a flush, check runoff, then water normally. You'll get to that sweet spot faster that way. The other way you might over water, or your plants will stay deficient for a couple days longer. Which you may do more damage than good.

Thank a veteran.

Sizz has got it right. Flush with ph7 water and test the runoff.
You gotta get that runoff up to at least 6.2. Dolomite the top and flush it.
Use pH 7 waterings for a week or two to get it back on track.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Okay thanks guys, I started the "flush" with water ph'd at 7.4, runoff had started at 5.5-5.8, after the flush (I stopped when it was between 6.1-6.5. So far I'm not really seeing signs of over watering so I'm hoping the adjusted ph will help kick things back into gear.
I have 1 indica that I've kept and took a few clones, that plant doesn't seem to mind the low ph and the clones don't seem to be all that bothered either. Just this sativa really hates it. What's the cause for deformed mangled looking leaves?

I'm also having a very hard time with the humidity, if I have low RH does that compound this problem or should it not make to much of a difference?

I'm also having a very hard time with the humidity, if I have low RH does that compound this problem or should it not make to much of a difference?
Humidity is easy, wet a towel, or a hand drying towel in the tent. Make sure it's soaked but not dripping dripping. RH would only be impacted if the temps are like 90F+. Then they would start to droop after a day or two.

Thank a veteran.

Vegging plants love high humidity, but I keep mine around 40-65%. I notice when my RH goes down around 30% or so, it's time to water. Making sure the first inch or two are dry, if not, I'll let it go another day but I'll hang a soaked towel in there.

Thank a veteran.

Honestly the only way I mess around with flush is if my slurry test comes back out of range run off isn't as accurate of a way to measure soil ph.

Slurry test is easy to do but takes longer I just use I cup of ph'd water to 6.8 since that's my target then add a table spoon of the soil from as far down as I can get some to the ph'd water let it equalize over night and check the ph again if it's way off of 6.8 I do the ph'd water adjustment if that doesn't do it I look into amendments that both fertilize and adjust ph

Honestly the only way I mess around with flush is if my slurry test comes back out of range run off isn't as accurate of a way to measure soil ph.

Slurry test is easy to do but takes longer I just use I cup of ph'd water to 6.8 since that's my target then add a table spoon of the soil from as far down as I can get some to the ph'd water let it equalize over night and check the ph again if it's way off of 6.8 I do the ph'd water adjustment if that doesn't do it I look into amendments that both fertilize and adjust ph
That works for you, but that's a course of a day or two. The way I've explained it will put you right in the ball park, give or take .5 of a %. Then you adjust as needed. A soil test kit is like $11 at Lowe's or a grow shop, if you're in the US. I do it as I explained, and only test my soil once a month. I only had to adjust my ph once last grow.

Thank a veteran.

That works for you, but that's a course of a day or two. The way I've explained it will put you right in the ball park, give or take .5 of a %. Then you adjust as needed. A soil test kit is like $11 at Lowe's or a grow shop, if you're in the US. I do it as I explained, and only test my soil once a month. I only had to adjust my ph once last grow.

Thank a veteran.
Nah the slurry test works for everyone and is a better way to check soil ph.

Back
Top Bottom