New - Mainlining/Manifolding Newbie - Advice?

Mikeytv

Could you guys take a look and tell me what I should be doing or if I'm on the right track. Also a couple are from seed others are clones - this accounts for different in growth patterns.
Wondering about leaving the little sites along the branch or should I remove all.
Thanks
25339d22192eb2f2e1a8d4edc5d127d9.jpg
1c22f3cba3e6673a133e20c584d0cde8.jpg
8cba0163798a7e4484bfb00c4b73395c.jpg
499e9cd568d0bc908989d81764694cbd.jpg

8d8dc73b480a5ab34924599c3dc2be0c.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

You look to be on the right track, I assume this is your first time mainlining?
I tried it for my first grow and it went pretty good.

The way you're doing it is golden, you can leave the sites along the branch, every site will turn into something usefull and it helps fill it out.
gj

It is my first time mainlining.

I'm confused about the sites along the way, if they branch will that be enough space they will likely grow to be relative size of main cola or must only the end of a main branch produce the largest flower?

Sent from mikeytv

However you design your plant, it'll stay to that design but it'll scale up. It doesn't look like much room or much can happen between the nodes, but during flower, the sites along the branch will produce buds that are equal in size, if done correctly they can be bigger than just going after the main kola.

It is my first time mainlining.

I'm confused about the sites along the way, if they branch will that be enough space they will likely grow to be relative size of main cola or must only the end of a main branch produce the largest flower?

Sent from mikeytv

The sites along the way will become mains too.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I wanted to show the girls today. I'm feeling a little like Frankenstein with this manifolding/mainlining attempt but it's my first so pretty may not be in the cards.
453d6e479cc136b96d18f884b2e456d7.jpg

Photo 1- ok, not quite a manifold! But I am wondering about these smaller branches. As I am attempting to give all branches equal sun/and everything else-will or do they have the same potential to become as large as a single main cola or for that matter will they or can they fairly easily if all else is good, can these sub branches grow to about same size (in the positive) as the main branches?

bd8d7f0cca7853899903b7602b07edbc.jpg
67383c20a87c64d7e74d9129a55e3077.jpg
5762bb5bedc42a80f9a190420b75b95b.jpg

All input is appreciated. These girls are still pretty low to the pots which is awesome but as you can see they are trying to make their way out and up. Not really sure how much I should be trimming or how often. I did some fimming and some additional ?manifolding? But have to wait to see what they result to. I increased the nutes a bit to get them ready for flower.
All input is so very appreciated. Guide me!

Also, I have another post about my dwc. Please check out and let me know thoughts. Finally figuring that out too!
Thanks!!

Sent from mikeytv

Just wanted to show you guys my girls. Wondering if and where to go from here- at what point should I move to flower? They are low but will or should fill the space well once flowered.

b8bf4100cffaab03de8b316262a8d2d4.jpg
27614f458eceec4079f6a3b439ccc4ac.jpg
9cff1ead49bb1cd5dd0adafc78876e44.jpg
70921f05e4575a923f27bf0a05f0febc.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

They're looking very nice, if I can give any advice, it would be to move your lights closer. Although I don't have photos on this phone of my finished plant, once you enter flower, your plant will explode. I would recommend a week or two more with your lights closer though.
20160730_182758.jpg
20160801_131139.jpg
20160924_175802.jpg
20160927_180033.jpg

They're looking very nice, if I can give any advice, it would be to move your lights closer. Although I don't have photos on this phone of my finished plant, once you enter flower, your plant will explode. I would recommend a week or two more with your lights closer though.
20160730_182758.jpg
20160801_131139.jpg
20160924_175802.jpg
20160927_180033.jpg

Giant smile on my face when I saw these pics.
I have a mh 400w I'm running 20/4 that's almost exactly 18 inches away from canopy. I thought because of heat mh can't be much closer. Please advise?
Incidentally, I am also trying out a dwc system which is right next to these plants - I made a handing canopy box for it with a bunch of cfl/led bulbs. This is also pushing light out but without the heat. I will drop my mh down 6 inches and see how they respond.

Sent from mikeytv

A 400 watt mh isn't that much power for your plants (my pictures are actually from a 400 mh for that veg cycle)
If you were to have a light/par meter, your mh will put out 30k lumens when the plant is 8 inches from the bulb. The infared from the bulb isn't enough to heat your leafs past 23c or 75f if your bulb/reflector is cooled properly.

My 3Rd photo is just one plant, I called her Bertha.

On my grow that I'm doing now, I had a 400 watt mh in a nice reflector that's air cooled, I had my plants an inch from the glass (5 inches from bulb) and they wanted moore

Well I'm taking head- I feel like I'm wasting electricity now! Plants are about 6 inches away I am going to track my temps and lumens for a while and see if I can get closer.

520c6ea12de066682dfbb4ede146333c.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

83 is the ambient temp? 71k lux is pretty good, what kind of reflector are you using? Is it possible for you to have a fan blowing air between your plants and the reflector? Has your humidity been fluctuating at all? Do you have a dehumidifier?
What do you plan on running with for flower?

83 is the ambient temp? 71k lux is pretty good, what kind of reflector are you using? Is it possible for you to have a fan blowing air between your plants and the reflector? Has your humidity been fluctuating at all? Do you have a dehumidifier? What is the temp near the bottom of your pots?

83 is the ambient temp? 71k lux is pretty good, what kind of reflector are you using? Is it possible for you to have a fan blowing air between your plants and the reflector? Has your humidity been fluctuating at all? Do you have a dehumidifier?

Temp is rising as I expected. Near 90.
My humidity is relative to positioning but low end is high 30's and high end is 50's. I tend to notice it in the 40's myself. With the lights being closer the rH will go down. I'm using a vivosun basic wing deflector- I bought the bundle- mh/hps bulbs/ballast/reflector and timer.
I do have 3 fans running. Box fax up top just circulating since heat rises and this helps get it out. I also have one behind the mh just keeping air flow over and under. And another on opposite side pushing out from another angle.

Do you feel I need a dehumidifier? I have had two successful grows (for a newbie) and has no issues with moisture aside from my overwatering. That said, I have several gallons of water in this room now and they must keep the room more humid... just realized that. Also realize that bringing lights closer will also raise my dwc water temp... this may be an issue.

Flower i will use hps 400 with maybe some bottom/ side supplemental light.

Sent from mikeytv

71k lux with 90f is too much without co2.
Since you're using a open type bat wing reflector, move your light away until your lux reads closer to 50k. Also, near the bottom of your pots, have a fan blowing, you do not want your roots to be in a medium that is heating up past 75f, optimal medium temp would be 68f down in the medium. (I can't comment on dwc).
What medium are you using? To low of humidity rises the turgor pressure for the plant, also your causing the cells inside the leafs to expand and burst because of the pressure being placed on the leaves that is drawing the moisture out.

Higher humidity keeps the turgor pressure In check and helps regulate the respiration levels of a plant, if your humidity is to low, you're causing the plant to transpire to much which leads to wilting.

Can you take a picture of how your setup looks?

Idk if this is best pic but I think you get idea. 4 fabric pots- 2 5 gallon 2 3 gallon. In the back is my dwc. I moved my mh down to just 6 inches or so above them. So far so good. I also repositioned a fan to hit them from the bottom up.
I have a coco/soil/perlite blend. I am using general hydro 3 part plus cal mag plus kelp. I am still using about 1/4 to 1/3 recommended dose for veg. Seems to be working fine. I have fimmed and been moving branches often but I think I am officially done shaping. Now I am interested in growing out veg to get it ready to switch to flower. Thinking 2 weeks since I have done a lot of stress to them this week.
35d9ccdaf11375a048a4228376175d65.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom