Autoflowers - can I turn off my LED-light during watering?

bartverso

Hi fellow growers!

Me myself I just started on my first grow ever. I opted for 2 auto´s - an Auto Colorado Cookies and a Think Big - 2 fairly new and promising autoseeds by Dutch Passion.

I´ve got myself a nice indoor grow tent combined with a Kind LED XL750 which is running on a 20/4 schedule.

2017profiel2.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/1298896

They´re both 5 weeks and 6 days old now. Tara should evolve from seed to harvest in like 13 to 14 weeks. Coralie is said to be harvested around week 10 or 11 after germination.

Now. I must admit, I´m a bit disappointed when it comes to Coralies size - both plants stand at around 2 feet now. If I had to go by my guts, I might say that she´s like a week and a half behind schedule. She only started flowering a day or 2 ago (she´s flowering, right?) :-D

Both are rooted in 2.5 gallon pots, filled with growing soil containing perlite, coconut fibre and lava.
NPK stated on the packing of the soil: 6.5:6.5:6.5, initial pH of 5.5-6.

I'm quite confident I haven't over- or underwatered them even once :cool:

I gave both my babies their first feeding on like day 10 (Aptus Startbooster - root & growth booster). I used around a quarter of the recommended amount.

At week 3 - I started doubting if I should LST them. I gave them a low feed of Aptus Regulator (which is said to make them more resistant to stress). I tried to bend over the main stems away from the light. Two days later, I started reading all sorts of negative comments about LST'ing auto's as it might stunt the plant's grow a lot, considering the already short lifetime of auto's. So I freaked & backed out, removed the LST's strings and went back to an unrestrained growing method.

I might have screwed Tara over with a "light" *cough cough* nutrient burn about a week ago, in combination with a "light burn" :) (Already raised my lights more since then)

I think Tara's soil still had an abundancy of N's in it for it's vegetative grow. I didn't think the burn to be severe enough for me to have to flush the poor thing. So next time I watered, I didn't give her any nutrients.

I should say - I'm using plain tap water - hailing from Belgium - which might be pH'ed in at around 6.5. I don't treat it, I just let it acclimatize to the conditions of the tent for about 12 hours.

So now, fellow growers. If you made it this far, thank you for your attention. You're crazy. Me ranting on and on. ;-)

My main questions:

I love my LED's! They're awesome! And insanely bright! But it's got that typical LED property of the light spectrum that annoys the :tommy::tommy::tommy:out of me, when I'm caring for my plants (approx 15 minutes a day). It's also hard to whitebalans any pictures I take. Am I allowed to turn them off during its light-part of it's cycle? Or will that cause more stunted grow?

Do I have to treat Tara's slight burn, or will she be producing tons and tons of bud without me having to interfear?

What are your opinions on Coralie? I mean, sometimes also real kids, can be slow when trying to raise them :-D

Any reply is highly appreciated!
Belgium out!

Welcome to :420: Bart! You joined an excellent group of growers and cannabis fanatics. You will do great here. :thumb:

To answer your question simply; yes you can turn your light off. Autos are not light dependant. You can literally choose whatever light schedule you want to run. Even with photoperiod plants you could shut they off, as long as they don't get 12 hours of continuous darkness.

Can I make a suggestion? Look into starting a journal on here so others can follow your journey. It's a great place to get people to check out your grow and they can even lend a helping hand if needed.

Take what the breeders say as a timeline with a grain of salt. Those are just rough estimates. You could have one go 3 weeks passed the suggested time. Every plant does what they want. Just have to look at all of the signs on when to harvest. And yes it just started flowering.

LST training and even some HST can be done on autos. There are a few threads on here comparing "topped vs. Non topped" to see which yielded more.

2 Ed Rosenthal - 1 Topped - Side By Side Grow

Did I get everything? :laughtwo: They look great, you have nothing to worry about.

They make sunglasses that show true colors of plant with the lights on. And best to either have lights off or use the sunglasses when inside messing with your babies (or regular sun glasses, but with those then you won't see true colors which makes it harder to see problems), as there have been some studies that say too much exposure to it can cause eye issues (cataracts), why you see "spots" and what not until you eyes adjust again to normal light after being in there with lights on. Varies from light to light but many of them have UV wavelength which is what messes with your eyes just like the Sun.

They make sunglasses that show true colors of plant with the lights on. And best to either have lights off or use the sunglasses (or regular sun glasses, but with those then you won't see true colors which makes it harder to see problems), as there have been some studies that say too much exposure to it can cause eye issues (cataracts), why you see "spots" and what not until you eyes adjust again to normal light after being in there with lights on. Varies from light to light but many of them have UV wavelength which is what messes with your eyes just like the Sun.
We have a pair of those. I like em!

I actually heard about those! But I also heard only douchebags wear sunglasses indoors. :allgood::allgood::allgood:

I might just order them next Month, UMonk! I already concidered them for a long time - hadn't made the move yet as it would still leave me with the issue of whitebalancing my pictures for you guys!

Thanks for your quick and clear reply!!!

Many thanks for your welcoming words, Nismo12!

And of course thank you so much for taking your time to write that clear and complete an answer!
Do you think those double-burnt tips will grow out fine?
Thanks for making my day by saying they'll be fine :cheer:
From what I can see, everything looks great. If you want, you could turn the light off and take some pictures with a flash and then turn the light back on. In our breeding tent we put a t5 fixture in there so when we are working in there we can turn off the purple and turn on the white T5 light. Makes it much easier to diagnose any problems if there is any.

But I also heard only douchebags wear sunglasses indoors.

Well we already growing the "Devils Lettuce", so we douches already ;) :rofl::rofl: well according to those that don't know right anyway ;)

Oh man! And they're actually cheap as

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the link, Urban!

:thumb:

And better than trying to get new eyeballs....far as I know technology not quite there yet, and probably expensive as all heck if they do have them ;)

From what I can see, everything looks great. If you want, you could turn the light off and take some pictures with a flash and then turn the light back on. In our breeding tent we put a t5 fixture in there so when we are working in there we can turn off the purple and turn on the white T5 light. Makes it much easier to diagnose any problems if there is any.

Great advice! I just saw your setup by the way.....

Wow... Speechless

e922c757e6c86c7cfb35dde7b2635f64.jpg

Back
Top Bottom