Cotyledons - Yellow tips - Too early?

Need2Succeed

Only 48 hours since seedling broke soil. Progressive pictures; here you go. Keep mouths shut about me handling germinated seed. All purposefully for furthering my intuition! I'll elaborate if you wish or; easier being would to be my available grow journal. A bit messy journal is and lacking details. I hope to tighten up comprehend able material in form of details. Ask if must, please. I'm here for collaborative knowledge. Whether or not I find agreement upon.

Here we go; enjoy!
Also, why the excessive curvature of tap root? I find that extremely interested. From 1st picture of germinated seed in hand; to the final picture, was less than 48 hrs time. Seed was the only of 4 that I planted direct into soil. Upon seeing yellow tips mainly subject of question here; I transplanted from a clay pottery pot having no drainage hole to a generic ceramic pot with small drainage hole. I know not best type of pot; that is the generic clay pot. I though the clay pottery pot with no drainage hole may be causing water to pool at bottom. Watering methods are focused toward thoroughly watering and only watering when nearly dry. I didn't really get a good grasp on how much the ceramic pot weighed as that's how I determine when to water. I gently removed seedling to check if any signs of overwatering. None whatsoever. Though, to save self from u necessary worry. I transplanted to similiar sized generic ceramic pot. These pots seem being doing well in climate provided at this stage of life. Also, IMO that the root developed when I dislodged from clay pot showed an extremely complex and we'll developing root system. I loved seeing root development being as it is at these early stages.

This early yellowing of cotylodens though does have me a bit anxious.

Please weigh in with advice/slots.

420-magazine-mobile175628412.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1256655747.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1033168803.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1486495598.jpg
420-magazine-mobile147671241.jpg
420-magazine-mobile354930608.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2095531613.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1083193526.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1342360889.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

As for the yellowing of the leaves, what have you fed them in terms of water? Plain water? Was the water PH'd?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Thank you. Lol

Fox farm/roots organic leftover from last year. Previously been used soil ammendment for an outdoor garden. Used and recycled. Just moved into place of own and here we are! Indoor small space cfl/t5 start. Water is not ph tested. Though other baby's have responded without any sign as this one is showing. I'm at a lost perspective on this. I attempted to search, but this seedling is Too early turning it's cotylodens yellow. Hmmm...

If I was you I'd pick yourself up a cheap PH tester. Even tho the others haven't shown signs of problems this still could be the problem. I've got a sweet train wreck and a northern Lights growing that feed from the same tank of water and the sweet train wreck has showed some signs of deficiencies but the northern lights is fine. Also maybe chuck some CalMag into the mix I always find it doesn't hurt to have some.

If I was you I'd pick yourself up a cheap PH tester. Even tho the others haven't shown signs of problems this still could be the problem. I've got a sweet train wreck and a northern Lights growing that feed from the same tank of water and the sweet train wreck has showed some signs of deficiencies but the northern lights is fine. Also maybe chuck some CalMag into the mix I always find it doesn't hurt to have some.

Agreed with almost everything there! Great advice IMO. Except for the calmag. That seedling is still living 100% off the energy stored in the seed. It needs nothing for nutrition/camag yet.
I wonder if perhaps the taproot laying on cold dry steel and being fingered had somthing to do with it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Agreed with almost everything there! Great advice IMO. Except for the calmag. That seedling is still living 100% off the energy stored in the seed. It needs nothing for nutrition/camag yet.
I wonder if perhaps the taproot laying on cold dry steel and being fingered had somthing to do with it?

I'd say there's nothing wrong with a little CalMag just be on the safe side. I don't completely agree with touching to roots is that much of a problem, specially if they have been watered since being touched. Aslong as they were handled carefully these plants are allot more resilient than most think.

BRB. Driving..

I'd say there's nothing wrong with a little CalMag just be on the safe side. I don't completely agree with touching to roots is that much of a problem, specially if they have been watered since being touched. Aslong as they were handled carefully these plants are allot more resilient than most think.

Nope, nothing wrong with it at all except the seedling wont use it.
I honestly dont know that handling it did it either. Either way, it will grow right out of it on its own. Some plants just have small character flaws. Just like people. Everyones different..

Nope, nothing wrong with it at all except the seedling wont use it.
I honestly dont know that handling it did it either. Either way, it will grow right out of it on its own. Some plants just have small character flaws. Just like people. Everyones different..

But it will be there a soon as it does start needing it :). Come to think of it that does make sense, I think my first ever grow last year showed a little yellow on the first leaf. I'm sure they will be fine as long as you pick up that ph tester (for soil your looking at a PH of 6.5 and soilless 5.8) and you starting your Nutrients at like 1/4 of there levels or so you will be fine. Happy growing!

If your in soiless with no nutrition wait to start any nutes until day 10-14 above soil. Thats as early as they ever need anything. Putting nutes in this early will just add salts tocthe soil and or burn your seedling. If your in real soil that has nutrition in it it will be longer. It will grow out of it. New growth being a bit yellow for a while is perfectly normal with some of em.

Wait to start any nutes until day 10-14 above soil. Thats as early as they ever need anything. Putting nutes in this early will just add salts tocthe soil and or burn your seedling. It will grow out of it. New growth being a bit yellow for a while is perfectly normal with some of em.

I don't fully agree, as my current grow only 6 days in and one of my two plants has already shown deficiencies. All depends on the soil your growing in, I'm growing in a very light mix so extra nutes are needed earlier on.

I grow in soiless with no nutes it it and never has a plant shown a deficiency in the first 6 days and I never feed until at least 10 days. Its well known a seedling has all the energy it needs for at least the first 10 days stored inside the seed. Even in a light soil your plant needs no nutes in the first 6 days. If its showing something at 6 days its either a flaw in the plant or an environment issue. More than likely watering habits

When i was at hortic college i was taught never to touch the fresh cut when taking cuttings as the oil in the skin may harm the fresh exposed plant cells, how ever handling seeds with taps roots is always done very gentle other wise the wet paper towel method for germination would be some what questionable !

I'd more likely avoid adding nutrients or at least main grow nutrients to seedlings as not get nutrient burn in case ya over do it by mistake, but you can get nutrients for seedling stage & to aid in root growth.

PICT000161.JPG
PICT000747.JPG
PICT000162.JPG

That is all i use for em mainly micro nutrients very, very low NPK like 0.1 etc even tho i do use soil/compost with nutrients in.

Cold dry steal for less than 2 minutes. When in actuality i was amending a possible soil problem. I sense a tad bit of sarcasm. I'm not homeless. So my kitchen utensils are indoors at regulated household temperture. Oh shit, I think this knife was in my freezer actually! Hahaa!! Be it as it may. What's done is done! Seriously. Leave the madness alone. That's just a claim someone will make if they've got no advice further than whats been offered. Clean your act up. Thanks. No hard feelings and thanks for reply!! Jokes aside. I really appreciate open minded and experienced advice from others. Mind you, I have one grow behind me already that produced patently with no seeds. Was started by seed, veggies under a tv in cabinet and then placed outside. Produced fantastic Sunshine Daydream. So I may be mad, so be it. Cause if I ever took time to do journal on that grow. Starting with dollar store soil. Many of would have had fits. I'm learning and experimenting. Quit the hatin' please. I'm sure not worried about losing a plant. Not that that's the goal. But there is always going to be seeds/clones available. Some soldiers are lost in battle.

I did think it's a genetic thing even. I just jumped gun cause of course I want to provide best chance to live at this young age. Next I'll be seeking as to when is ideal transplant time. Also a tedious subject to tackle, but I'm willing to do so.

Transplanting or potting up is pretty easy.

I do my germination in peat pucks like the ones in the pic above, every body has their preference for germination method tho.

Once i got roots showing i'll pot up into a smaller pot like this.

PICT000372.JPG

Roughly two weeks later or so you should have a suitable root mass to pot up into final pot size if growing conditions are good.

PICT000660.JPG

Easy as pie bud :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom