Trying to plan my grow set-up - Need some advice

Hi guys Im new here and need some pointers. I am literally at ground zero here, though I have consumed thousands of posts and articles on this art of growing and Im ready to give it a whirl.

I would like to grow between 2 and 4 plants ideally and have a budget of about 300 dollars. I already decided on and purchased Fox Farms organic soil.

Here is where I am having trouble getting my grow off the ground:

I could grow in either my un-insulated garage or MAYBE in my bedroom. Smell is an issue but so is my wife and kids. The wife is tolerant of my plans but Ill have to make sure it is as low impact to her and the family as possible. Im talking about smells, obviously, but also fan noise, power consumption, and not being too much of an eyesore to her.

I am a woodworker for a hobby so I am not scared to DIY a box. I am leaning towards putting this in the garage because it would be out of sight out of mind for the family mostly and I'm out there alot working the wood LOL. Also, the size of the box could be larger if I do it in the garage, I would be limited to a 2x2x3 tent or box if I do it in the bedroom. Temps are the challenge as it is typically hovering around upper 30's as a low and maybe upper 50's as the high in the winters. Summers are very hot here as it is not unusual to see temps hit over 110 degrees and get down to the 50's at night. Other than that its typical desert climate, cold at night hot in the day.

What advice would you guys give me here? Thanks for looking and thanks for being the best growing community Ive experienced on the net so far!

Trying to plan my grow set-up, need some advice...

4 plants require a 2x2 area minimum. If smell is a concern you'll need a carbon filter.
I would use the $500 towards a $150 filter fan and a reasonable led light for the rest.
Fox farms is not a great soil, I've helped many people with serious issues with FFOF. Mostly bugs and ph fluctuations. I'd look for a soil that's easier to manage on your first Grow. Lowes, homedepot and your local garden store will probably carry a ph balanced soil that is easier to work with.
You will need a PH pen if using FF.
So on your budget I'd build a 2x2, 3x3 or 2x4 box. Stud framed and drywall. $16 for studs, $32 for drywall. Carbon filter exhaust $150, ph pen $12-20 and put whatever is left over towards a light.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ye technical stuff ah !

Well most of that ya DIY with ya skills :thumb:

Garage will more likely need to be insulated to protect it from winter/summer extremes in temperature it may shift a few degrees in favour other wise you may need to add a heater for winter & use air cooled hoods for summer some thinking to do !

Just need to provide an ideal growing conditions i like 26c lights on & no lower than 19c lights off don't really want much of difference between several C.

Desert climate may mean a humidifier is needed to help with RH.

Fan noise well if ya don't mind spending the $$$ ya can get silenced fans but acoustic ducting helps & ya can DIY an acoustic box to hang the fan in.

Cost of electric well check ya bill out or suppler & see what they charge per KW (kilo watt) it will give you a base idea on expected cost depending on light size ya use & then do the maths.

Smells ah get a good carbon filter, some times odour removing gels help when growing indoors, but if ya venting out side you could always grow various scented plants to cover up any smell that would be a careful selection tho for all year scents :thumb:

I'm Also in an uninsulated garage in an homemade box and it's doing brill even when temp outside are -6 it's still 23 in the box.

Sent from my SM-N910F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh, and in desert conditions it's probably better to run the light at night and off during the day when you get to flower. Probably easier on your electric bill if you have "peak hours"

Leds be better for u then and mine is osb bourds. Got to say I got a 2 x 4 x 5 tend and that looses heat realy good so I covered mine in underlay and thee cheep

Sent from my SM-N910F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

4 plants require a 2x2 area minimum. If smell is a concern you'll need a carbon filter.
I would use the $500 towards a $150 filter fan and a reasonable led light for the rest.
Fox farms is not a great soil, I've helped many people with serious issues with FFOF. Mostly bugs and ph fluctuations. I'd look for a soil that's easier to manage on your first Grow. Lowes, homedepot and your local garden store will probably carry a ph balanced soil that is easier to work with.
You will need a PH pen if using FF.
So on your budget I'd build a 2x2, 3x3 or 2x4 box. Stud framed and drywall. $16 for studs, $32 for drywall. Carbon filter exhaust $150, ph pen $12-20 and put whatever is left over towards a light.

Thanks so much for you and everyone's lightning fast responses. I have plywood and 2x4's at my disposal, I'm curious why you mention drywall. Cheaper I suppose, or is it because it's already white and wouldn't need paint?. I did consider actually building framed walls with insulation between studs like a typical framed wall. Would this be beneficial or worth the effort?

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ye technical stuff ah !

Well most of that ya DIY with ya skills :thumb:

Garage will more likely need to be insulated to protect it from winter/summer extremes in temperature it may shift a few degrees in favour other wise you may need to add a heater for winter & use air cooled hoods for summer some thinking to do !

Just need to provide an ideal growing conditions i like 26c lights on & no lower than 19c lights off don't really want much of difference between several C.

Desert climate may mean a humidifier is needed to help with RH.

Fan noise well if ya don't mind spending the $$$ ya can get silenced fans but acoustic ducting helps & ya can DIY an acoustic box to hang the fan in.

Cost of electric well check ya bill out or suppler & see what they charge per KW (kilo watt) it will give you a base idea on expected cost depending on light size ya use & then do the maths.

Smells ah get a good carbon filter, some times odour removing gels help when growing indoors, but if ya venting out side you could always grow various scented plants to cover up any smell that would be a careful selection tho for all year scents :thumb:

Thanks for the response! When you say insulated are you saying the garage or the grow box? Insulating the garage is not an option unfortunately but insulating the box sure as hell is.

Trust me I wish I could insulate the damn garage. When I'm out there in the summer I can barely stand the heat most days.

I'm sorry I just realized this post may not be in the most appropriate section. Could a moderator please move it .

Here in the Rockies we have lots of cold weather. Time it so your lights are on at night when it is cold. Lights off in the day time when temps. are warmer. If weather is really cold then turn exhaust fans off a hour or 2 before the lights go out to build heat in your grow room. This will only work with HPS or MH. LEDs do not generate enough heat.

Thanks so much for you and everyone's lightning fast responses. I have plywood and 2x4's at my disposal, I'm curious why you mention drywall. Cheaper I suppose, or is it because it's already white and wouldn't need paint?. I did consider actually building framed walls with insulation between studs like a typical framed wall. Would this be beneficial or worth the effort?

Cheaper, white and better R value. Insulation would be beneficial if it's in the budget. Depends on how cold it gets at night. Where are you? State and town?
You can pm me if you don't want to post it here. I'll find you a better, cheaper hassle free soil. Fox Farms is more of an advanced user soil and like I mentioned LOTS of people are having serious issues with it.

Here in the Rockies we have lots of cold weather. Time it so your lights are on at night when it is cold. Lights off in the day time when temps. are warmer. If weather is really cold then turn exhaust fans off a hour or 2 before the lights go out to build heat in your grow room. This will only work with HPS or MH. LEDs do not generate enough heat.

That's quite helpful and I had considered using HPS to help me out with warming the box. I am leaning towards LED for electrical costs and bulb longevity, not to mention it would be better for temps in the summer I think. Thoughts sir?

Cheaper, white and better R value. Insulation would be beneficial if it's in the budget. Depends on how cold it gets at night. Where are you? State and town?
You can pm me if you don't want to post it here. I'll find you a better, cheaper hassle free soil. Fox Farms is more of an advanced user soil and like I mentioned LOTS of people are having serious issues with it.

Sorry to be so vague JJ, I live in Temecula, California. I'm interested in your soil suggestions. I don't mind shelving the FF stuff as long as it will keep ok, until I'm advanced enough to use it. Thanks!

What fox farms did you buy. Let's start there.

Sorry had to run out and get groceries. I purchased Fox Farms Ocean Forest 12 quarts.

K. That stuff runs on water. No nutes till bloom
I guess all those people having problems didn't read the package. Lol.

I'm still debating on a box design, but I am almost convinced to try it out in the garage first. I also am thinking about just buying a tent. For one, if I can't keep it warm enough for or cool enough in the garage, I could move a tent to the bedroom and it would be less of an eyesore than a plywood box. Not to mention lighter ..

The biggest tent I would want to put in my bedroom is probably a 32 x 32 x 60. That might even get a crazy look from the wife.

I use a 2x4 x5 in my bedroom. Fits 3 massive plants easily.
Full canopy coverage from wall to wall.
30f352c222e41420f869c5ec1bc01e75.jpg

Back
Top Bottom