Whooops - Severe heat stress - What do I do?

Thatguy9123

I am growing in a 5 gallon space bucket setup. Running 4 23w cfls as well as led strip lights around the inside of the bucket for extra lighting. I haven't had any issues during the entire grow, until two days ago when I the fans accidentally came unplugged for about 4 hours. Raising the temperature of the bucket well over 100 degrees. I fixed the problem as soon as I was aware but after two days none othe the burned parts of the plants were showing signs of new growth so I decided to top all the burned parts. Should I not have done that?the pics below are before and after I decided to top the burned bits. Any input opinions or advice would be great. Will this plant still produce a decent yield? Would it be best to just scrap it and start with a clone I have?
IMG_77204.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/1311641

Are you in veg or flower? Looks like veg. If so, you should be able to top and keep going. Might loose some overall size but maybe not. Could end up being a monster. Pics don't look like you had any issue on the lower plant. Only thing is she will likely need time to recover from the stress. Might be a week or 3 before she looks great again but still faster (to me) than starting all over. I would let her go and see what happens. Remove any dead plant but let the rest of her rest and come back. Good luck!

Sent from mikeytv

Thanks for the quick responses. I was 5 weeks into veg and actually switched to 12/12 the day before this happened. As soon as I notice the problem I switched back to 24 hour light and began misting the leaves for extra hydration as well as a bit of extra watering. As you can see I topped most of the burned bits only leaving some partially burned leaves. Should I removed any leaves that have been burned at all? If she is going to recover I will likely keep her going and see where I get.

Thanks for the quick responses. I was 5 weeks into veg and actually switched to 12/12 the day before this happened. As soon as I notice the problem I switched back to 24 hour light and began misting the leaves for extra hydration as well as a bit of extra watering. As you can see I topped most of the burned bits only leaving some partially burned leaves. Should I removed any leaves that have been burned at all? If she is going to recover I will likely keep her going and see where I get.
Why 24 hours of light? Your plant uses the 6 hours of dark. It's the other side of photosynthesis. She needs to heal. Give her the time to.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yeah, if you were in veg, i think you will be fine. Hell, leave her in veg and take advantage of this topping you just did. Make her a monster! I've her 2 weeks to recover from the heat stress and build new branches. She will reward your patience...

Sent from mikeytv

Why 24 hours of light? Your plant uses the 6 hours of dark. It's the other side of photosynthesis. She needs to heal. Give her the time to.

I've heard so many different views on this. I tend to agree that the dark period in nature should be replicated although when we grow indoors, it's often about pressing the plant to its limits. I have done both and never noticed a difference. I only prefer the 18/6 because it saves a little on electricity. Otherwise, I like the convenience of 24.

Sent from mikeytv

Your convenience or hers? Alot happens in her dark cycle. She moves the sugar that was converted from the starch around her vascular structure, hours of darkness dictate her transition , allows her to concentrate on root and stem growth instead of converting the light. A happy plant allows maximum yield for what that particular strain can do.

I had started on a 24 hour cycle and having just switched to 12/12 and back to veg I figure it would stress the plants less to go back to what they are used to at this point. However chronicaffair it does make sense that it may heal faster with some dark period. Still not sure if I make the switch though, I think I will leave them on a 24 cycle for now and see if they begin to show any signs of improvement. I am still wondering if I should remove any of the leaves that are still on the plant that are half or partially burnt or if I should leave them since I've already taken so much from it.

More stress on the 24 hours straight. It means she's working to keep converting the light to energy and not able to concentrate on repairing herself. I'd cut off the burned leaves and dim your 600w to half power. Or pull her and start a new one. Sick plants don't produce.

Back
Top Bottom