Help with male or female identity

mtnryder

Looking to see if this is male preflowers showing. im leaning towards male but just double checking. thank you
20170221_165335.jpg

Looking to see if this is male preflowers showing. im leaning towards male but just double checking. thank you
20170221_165335.jpg
Yep, looks like a male to me. I'd watch a little longer unless you have others in danger. Hate that! Its always a bummer!

Sent from my LGLS775 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You will have a little while before he pollinates but better to be safe than sorry. My last one I took out side and let it mature a little better but weather was good enough at the time.

I forget what they're called but I've read that those two growths crossing the way they are is a good (although not definitive) indication that the plant is a female. The fact that those balls are not on stems is also an indication that they are female calyxes as opposed to pollen sacs. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can give you a more certain answer. But I think you're actually good. Just continue to keep a close eye on it. That's a really high quality pic by the way. How did you get it so clear and detailed? Good camera?

help with male or female idenity

That is DEFINITELY male, females don't have anything remotely close to pollen sacks

"You can fail at doing something you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing something you love" ~ Jim Carrey

I forget what they're called but I've read that those two growths crossing the way they are is a good (although not definitive) indication that the plant is a female. The fact that those balls are not on stems is also an indication that they are female calyxes as opposed to pollen sacs. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can give you a more certain answer. But I think you're actually good. Just continue to keep a close eye on it. That's a really high quality pic by the way. How did you get it so clear and detailed? Good camera?

Had to do some research to find it, but this is what I read. I'm not going to post the link because I don't think 420 would care for me linking to other sites, but if you google "crossed stipules", you'll find more info on it.

"Some of the time the stipules (green hair-like growths near where pre-flowers show up) will cross each other on female plants. This certainly doesn't always happen, as you can see from the pics of female pre-flowers on this page, but while girls can go either way, male plants rarely have stipules that cross each other. So although crossed stipules cannot be used definitively as a way to identify female plants, it can be a small clue to help guide you when you're not sure. For example the following female pre-flower doesn't have a pistil, but the long thin shape combined with the crossed stipules help indicate that this plant is a girl."

I'm only on my first grow, but for what it's worth, 5 of my 6 plants had crossed stipules and some of them had what looked like pollen sacs too. They turned out to ALL be females.

Male

[Disclaimer]
"I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get. "

My First DWC Grow - Unknown Strain

Had to do some research to find it, but this is what I read. I'm not going to post the link because I don't think 420 would care for me linking to other sites, but if you google "crossed stipules", you'll find more info on it.

"Some of the time the stipules (green hair-like growths near where pre-flowers show up) will cross each other on female plants. This certainly doesn't always happen, as you can see from the pics of female pre-flowers on this page, but while girls can go either way, male plants rarely have stipules that cross each other. So although crossed stipules cannot be used definitively as a way to identify female plants, it can be a small clue to help guide you when you're not sure. For example the following female pre-flower doesn't have a pistil, but the long thin shape combined with the crossed stipules help indicate that this plant is a girl."

I'm only on my first grow, but for what it's worth, 5 of my 6 plants had crossed stipules and some of them had what looked like pollen sacs too. They turned out to ALL be females.

False.

[Disclaimer]
"I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get. "

thank you for your guys help.. dawook4420. believe it or not i took the pic with my phone. i was very surprise it turned out so well. technology is getting amazing.

The way I learned was to let mine grow in a safe area so I could identify every stage of what a male looks like. If you have only seen pictures you will notice its not as easy to see in person. I say experiencing things for yourself is the best knowledge to learn from.

False.

[Disclaimer]

Not trying to start an argument, Germinator, but would you mind elaborating? I only ask because this info was dead on balls accurate for my first grow. Are you speaking on personal experience or did you read something that contradicts my source? I'll be the first person to admit when I'm wrong and judging by general consensus here, I'm definitely mistaken. But I'm really curious to know why you're so sure the source I provided is inaccurate.

mtnryder - that's a dope camera phone you've got! I've got an iPhone6 and I've taken a lot of pics of my girls. The close ups never come out that pristine!

Not trying to start an argument, Germinator, but would you mind elaborating? I only ask because this info was dead on balls accurate for my first grow. Are you speaking on personal experience or did you read something that contradicts my source? I'll be the first person to admit when I'm wrong and judging by general consensus here, I'm definitely mistaken. But I'm really curious to know why you're so sure the source I provided is inaccurate.

mtnryder - that's a dope camera phone you've got! I've got an iPhone6 and I've taken a lot of pics of my girls. The close ups never come out that pristine!

I researched it on the internet. Everything I read said false.
If it were that easy to tell female from male there would be no more confusion.
I didn't mean to sound rude but when I feel strongly about something I speak up.
To me it's the same thing that's going around about being able to identify female seeds. There's even a diagram. It's false.
Just google it. I realize you can't believe everything you read. But I found no links to support crossed stipules equals females.
I will however be looking from now on :)

This was my plant approx. 6 weeks ago, got some other opinions on it and we were all thinking most likely male
I decided against pulling it as it would do no damage for me.
d04ff2771d60a8c92ea1f9cd8ba5af3e.jpg

After neglecting it over this past few weeks I decided to have a look if it was even still alive and noticed these
cb9cdefff2bb41a1e8f83fc5f4c70c94.jpg

I'd say leave it alive until more noticeable but maybe seperate if concerned.
Then again I'm only new to all of this, so that's my two cents if it's worth any thing
Cheers

This was my plant approx. 6 weeks ago, got some other opinions on it and we were all thinking most likely male
I decided against pulling it as it would do no damage for me.
d04ff2771d60a8c92ea1f9cd8ba5af3e.jpg

After neglecting it over this past few weeks I decided to have a look if it was even still alive and noticed these
cb9cdefff2bb41a1e8f83fc5f4c70c94.jpg

I'd say leave it alive until more noticeable but maybe seperate if concerned.
Then again I'm only new to all of this, so that's my two cents if it's worth any thing
Cheers
It appears you have a hermie if those two pics are of the same plant. I know the second pic, those female parts turn brown/red after being pollenated. First pic is def pollen sacks. Sorry brother.

Thank a veteran. :Namaste:

I researched it on the internet. Everything I read said false.
If it were that easy to tell female from male there would be no more confusion.
I didn't mean to sound rude but when I feel strongly about something I speak up.
To me it's the same thing that's going around about being able to identify female seeds. There's even a diagram. It's false.
Just google it. I realize you can't believe everything you read. But I found no links to support crossed stipules equals females.
I will however be looking from now on :)

In that case I'll have to be more thorough in cross referencing my sources. Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated!

The discussion we are having is the reason this site is here. Even the most experienced grows run into problems. Its all about finding your way of growing and noticing things such as the sex of a plant. Everyone has their own style. For example I'm gonna take The Germinators response in this thread and say that he would have noticed the male and discarded of the plant. Me for example, would have noticed the male and relocated it outside or to a safe area to observe it for a few days before I chopped it, but that's just my preference. I don't read all those myths for the simple fact of what they are. The best way to learn is to jump in an experiment. If you fail...try again!

To early to tell. Have you stayed the flowing stage yet? Usually they will reveal their sex after 1-2 weeks into flowing. Should be little white hairs coming out of the little pods you see. Males would be on the bottom of the stalk and look like a bunch of bannanas. Do not do anything until you start the flowing and then you will know for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

To early to tell. Have you stayed the flowing stage yet? Usually they will reveal their sex after 1-2 weeks into flowing. Should be little white hairs coming out of the little pods you see. Males would be on the bottom of the stalk and look like a bunch of bannanas. Do not do anything until you start the flowing and then you will know for sure.

Not at first, they will show up as balls first. You will only see the banana shaped pods when it is close to pollinating. I believe is a male myself. I have a plant right now that i just tell it was a female as of yesterday. The female part is a strong tear drop shape.

You can guess I'd you want (they are your plants). I have grown 16 crops and my experience says you will not know for sure until you go into flowering. That is when male/female parts show up. Those are not male parts. Male parts hang underneath like your balls do. Ever see an animal with its balls growing out of its stomach? No they hang between the legs. Those sacks pictured are not hanging they are sitting on top. Not male parts......

Back
Top Bottom