Watering question

ComputerGeek

420 Member
I'm growing autoflowers in soil. I found a sticky on here about when to water and even it contradicts itself in the very same post. What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

It says at first to check the weight of the pot when dry, then water, then wait until it's at dry weight to water again.

Then, later in the article, it says to wait until the first couple/few inches are dry and then water again.

With a 12" tall pot, this is a HUGE difference between waiting until it's nearly to the dry weight (12" of dry) and waiting until 2" or 3" is dry.

Which is correct because the same article lists both and they are drastically different approaches.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Watering question (it won't let me post in the appropriate places)

He is correct that you can go by the weight of the pot. If you know the weight dry ...then you can guesstimate the amount of water contained in the soil. I say guesstimate because of course your plant is growing and adding weight both in vegetative top ,as well as, root mass. Also your plant uses different amounts of water based upon the plants stage of growth and its environment. But assuming you start with a well watered plant and the weigh it each day until you think that it needs water....you will get a rough idea of how much weight of water your plant is consuming. Then all you have to remember is what your 3rd grade teacher Mrs Taylor taught you. ( And who knew that she would help you grow weed way back then.) In 3rd grade I learned," A pint is a pound the world around" So if you do the math a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. And there you have it..... growing weed with your 3rd grade teachers help! Best of luck in all you grow and make sure you finish your milk!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: Watering question (it won't let me post in the appropriate places)

He is correct that you can go by the weight of the pot. If you know the weight dry ...then you can guesstimate the amount of water contained in the soil. I say guesstimate because of course your plant is growing and adding weight both in vegetative top ,as well as, root mass. Also your plant uses different amounts of water based upon the plants stage of growth and its environment. But assuming you start with a well watered plant and the weigh it each day until you think that it needs water....you will get a rough idea of how much weight of water your plant is consuming. Then all you have to remember is what your 3rd grade teacher Mrs Taylor taught you. ( And who knew that she would help you grow weed way back then.) In 3rd grade I learned," A pint is a pound the world around" So if you do the math a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. And there you have it..... growing weed with your 3rd grade teachers help! Best of luck in all you grow and make sure you finish your milk!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks! I knew school was good for something. :) So why does the site have the referenced sticky saying to water when the first few inches of soil are dry? It seems that this same "beginners" document has been copied/shared to every weed site out there because I went to more than half a dozen and they all have the exact same document that tell you to water in two vastly different ways within the same document.

Back
Top Bottom