Is anyone using their carbon filter placed low?

Rather than at the top of the grow space? And if so does it work fine?
I got a new filter and fan. Turns out that with the length of the filter and all the ducting adapters I need to make it fit- there's not enough room at the top without getting in the way and affecting my quality of life in there.
So my options are to live with it being in the way, empty out the carbon and use it to fill my existing filter, or mount it hanging halfway up a wall or something (also weird because half of it would be against the wall) . Or try to find a space on the floor to sit it on.
It just seems to make so much more sense at the top where I've always had them - but I'm guessing not everyone hangs those heavy-ass filters up high. (?)

Have you considered going vertical? Fan low and the filter high in one of the corners?? The reason for extracting above the ladies is also for cooling purposes. The warmer air rises because it's less dense than the cooler air so it's extracted.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've got mine low

Wasn't much of a choice

I'm totally sealed with a 255 pint per day dehuey

Felt I needed to scrub the room to keep it fresh
Not for smell

No smell gets out unless I open the doors

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks. Yeah I'm totally aware of the idea of hot air rising- hence the thread. My fan/filter runs on a thermostat and it's all about maintaining the temps. Outside air here is very cold so it just runs for cooling. Works out fine for fresh air circulation though, in terms of how often it cycles.
I suppose it will work fine halfway up a wall. Worst case I suppose is the fan will have to kick in more often. I've just never done it this way and it seems counter to common sense to have it placed low. Just looking for input from people who do run it this way. :thumb:

I've seem then ran both ways with great success. I was told a good reason to keep it off the floor from a master grower but i can't recall the wisdom lol . I say u test it for us and let us know.:popcorn:

I've seen them run low as an air scrubber. Rare to see a grow room exhaust at the bottom. Can you place the filter outside the tent and push air to it? Would that give you more options?

Are you going to close the floor vents and use a top vent as an intake?

Cheers,
/Obi

Thanks a lot for the input. I guess I was hoping to discover a crowd of people who were putting their filters down on the floor. I pictured people with flimsy grow tents, or possibly in houses or apartments that are not conducive to hanging heavy objects from the ceiling.
Sounds like common sense applies and I should try to vent out the top as I have before.
I hadn't got as far as thinking about switching the vents around but yeah I suppose I would have to if I put the filter low because of my space limitations/logistics.
The idea of putting it outside is very cool/tempting. I'd have to build a roof over it to keep the weather off and actually I don't think it would work because of moisture buildup- condensation. Also right now it's like bloody Antarctica around here and I think the filter would end up wet and possibly covered in ice.
However, and especially given that I'm not hearing a lot of enthusiasm about putting it on the floor, I think I may have found a solution. If I take out some shelving along one side and rework a bunch of electrical stuff then I can hang the filter up at the top of a side wall which I think will be high enough, and may actually be better in the end because my existing filter intrudes on my head space in the center of the room. I'll just make sure it's got some space around it on all sides for better intake. .
Another thought was to possibly cut the filter down shorter to squeeze it in- but if I can rework things like I described- I won't have to. :thumb:
:thanks:

Thanks a lot for the input. I guess I was hoping to discover a crowd of people who were putting their filters down on the floor. I pictured people with flimsy grow tents, or possibly in houses or apartments that are not conducive to hanging heavy objects from the ceiling.
Sounds like common sense applies and I should try to vent out the top as I have before.
I hadn't got as far as thinking about switching the vents around but yeah I suppose I would have to if I put the filter low because of my space limitations/logistics.
The idea of putting it outside is very cool/tempting. I'd have to build a roof over it to keep the weather off and actually I don't think it would work because of moisture buildup- condensation. Also right now it's like bloody Antarctica around here and I think the filter would end up wet and possibly covered in ice.
However, and especially given that I'm not hearing a lot of enthusiasm about putting it on the floor, I think I may have found a solution. If I take out some shelving along one side and rework a bunch of electrical stuff then I can hang the filter up at the top of a side wall which I think will be high enough, and may actually be better in the end because my existing filter intrudes on my head space in the center of the room. I'll just make sure it's got some space around it on all sides for better intake. .
Another thought was to possibly cut the filter down shorter to squeeze it in- but if I can rework things like I described- I won't have to. :thumb:
:thanks:

Hey- just chiming in with some diagrams of how the filters can be set up - happy growing all!!
420-magazine-mobile2026338289.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2114999421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom