Different hydroponic methods

cnile

i dont know much about any. what are the reasons you guys have learned to pick one over the other.

what does each system demand: ie: stable temps, cold temps, warm temps, constant monitoring or whatever each method needs focus on.

im assuming pick the system that fits my place best so im looking for more major details about the systems to tailor to what i have.

edit: i dont like wasting much, i think i will want recirculating.

thanks.

Which one interests you the most?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

thats an encouraging way to choose. unfortunantly i am not nearly patient enough for that.

the goal of this thread to is find details users may have found over trial and error.

an example: i just did ez-cloner diy. if someone ask me about it i would say before you beging make sure your environment fits that setup first, otherwise simply choose a different one that does fit better.

example 2: had i asked this question before i ever started i probably would have started hydro because i live in cold climate. i can keep the water cool so easy. it would have been easier i think had i known its a nice fit for cooler environment.

thanks forcomment

I mostly grow in soilless (peatmoss/perlite) which is a form of hydro, the medium being an inert mass that holds roots, nutrients, and allows some aeration. Advantages are that it can be handwatered and largely treated like soil, other than that ph still is very important. There's quite a bit of forgiveness around the watering and feeding schedule. Disadvantages- can be overwatered, doesn't have the same explosive growth that other forms of hydro do.

I also have a Drain to waste (DTW) hydro setup. Six plants at the moment in coco. An automated watering system on a timer. Reservoir of water/nutes with electric pump running to 1/4" lines. They get fed twice a day.
Advantages are- ease of use, very fast growth. Clean and easy. Much less chance of the root rot issues that can destroy DWC grows. Disadvantages are some annoying ph fluctuations in the res. But these have been minor enough that so far it hasn't caused me much trouble this grow.

I mostly grow in soilless (peatmoss/perlite) which is a form of hydro, the medium being an inert mass that holds roots, nutrients, and allows some aeration. Advantages are that it can be handwatered and largely treated like soil, other than that ph still is very important. There's quite a bit of forgiveness around the watering and feeding schedule. Disadvantages- can be overwatered, doesn't have the same explosive growth that other forms of hydro do.

I also have a Drain to waste (DTW) hydro setup. Six plants at the moment in coco. An automated watering system on a timer. Reservoir of water/nutes with electric pump running to 1/4" lines. They get fed twice a day.
Advantages are- ease of use, very fast growth. Clean and easy. Much less chance of the root rot issues that can destroy DWC grows. Disadvantages are some annoying ph fluctuations in the res. But these have been minor enough that so far it hasn't caused me much trouble this grow.

Root rot and dwc huh. That's kinda where I'm leaning.

That's mostly a temp issue though right. ?

Well - dwc is the one growing style I haven't tried at all so I'm just limited by what I've read. Yes temps are a big factor. But according to the Cap'n (former member who really knows his shit) - root rot is inevitable if you grow in dwc long enough. The answer seems to lie in using bennies. Running a sterile res seems to be less effective/more impossible. The Cap'n has a half dozen threads left on 420. All worth reading. Here's one.

Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

Back
Top Bottom