Dimmable lights

trehod

I am going to grow with a 600 mh hps combo light with a dimmable ballast ( 600,400,250 ) in the kit both bulbs are 600 watts, do you need separate bulbs to run on 250 or400 or are the bulbs dimmable, would appreciate some help please. Thanks in advance Trev

You can dim any bulb. Stay away from the "turbo" or "boost" feature as I've seen it fry bulbs. A 250/400/600 ballast can also run any of the aforementioned bulbs as well.
Some people dial lights down last few days before cut, some dial down because of heat issues.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine

The more you dim, the larger the efficiency loss. So running your 600 on the 250 setting will draw 250 watts but will put out much less light than running a 250w bulb on that setting. Not usually an issue since, well- we wanted it dimmed in the first place. But something to be aware of if you don't want to be wasting power. Personally I just live with it and keep the largest size bulb in there. Plus I don't like the idea of having a lower wattage bulb in a ballast that could theoretically be accidentally turned up higher.

thanks weaselcraker, I live in Nova Scotia Canada and my power bill is huge so was thinking of growing with a smaller wattage and flowering with the 600 to save on power. Should probably just stick to the 600 for a bigger yield anyway. Thanks for the reply

I think you'll be better rewarded using a 600. The power bill shouldn't jump much for you- though of course you'd know better than I - it's very easy to estimate the costs ahead of time if you know how much your power costs per KWH.
The dimmable option is great at times. Mainly (only) in veg I find, for helping control the rate of growth (short on room in flowerimg, going away for a week and want them on life support, etc..)

I am looking at my bill and there is nowhere that tells you the cost per kwh but does say $ 706.98 for 60 days with out a light on. Its funny because I can't do anything about it so a 600 running all the time is still cheaper then buying and better for my wife and I. We are in our 60 's and have some pain from working 40 plus years. Our gov is going to legal in july 2018 but still think it's better to grow. I know you would agree

Yeah your rates seem high. Here's what google says about Nova Scotia power. Domestic rates. Plus there's a surcharge of about $20
IMG_9369.PNG

Best to run your lights at night. Quite cheap then.

Back
Top Bottom