Tips for harvesting and drying

dawook4420

I'm getting ready to harvest my first grow in a few days ... HOORAY!!! I read the 420 tutorial on curing but I still have some questions and am looking for advice.

So I'm growing in 3 gal air pots and I've been giving nothing but water and molasses for the last two weeks. On the recommendation of others on this forum, I'm going to flush with cold water tomorrow and turn out the lights for 2 days until I'm ready to harvest on Saturday. Then I'm going to hang the buds in my tent to dry. I have two small dehumidifiers which keep the humidity between 30-40% but that may go down even more when I take the wet soil and runoff plates out of the tent. I'm really worried about mold so that's a good thing. But then I read today that I'm better off to dry the bud slowly at maybe 50% humidity as opposed to a super fast dry with dehumidifiers. So does anyone have any input or recommendations on this? And am I going about these next few days before harvest right? Or should I be doing something differently?

I also read that you want more airflow at the beginning of dry vs. later in the dry. So what, turn off the duct fan after a couple days and open the vents on the side? This all just seems more complicated than chopping down a plant and hanging it should be. And what about trimming the bud when it's wet vs. at the end of the dry? What are people's thoughts on this? Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

:rollit:

Wet trimming is far easier imo. I trim everything before drying.
My RH is about 60 at best and I never get mold in drying. Just make sure there's airflow around the buds - regulate the drying speed with your vents. Nice if it takes a week to dry but three days would be a bare minimum. You may want to turn one or both of your dehums off.

Wet trimming is far easier imo. I trim everything before drying.
My RH is about 60 at best and I never get mold in drying. Just make sure there's airflow around the buds - regulate the drying speed with your vents. Nice if it takes a week to dry but three days would be a bare minimum. You may want to turn one or both of your dehums off.

Thanks! Just the kind of input I'm looking for! I have two fans but neither oscillate. Just having them blow under (not on) the buds should circulate the air properly, right?
\

That might be more than you need. You'll have to wing it/play it by ear to begin with. My drying box is an old fridge with a bunch of holes drilled in it. On top I cut a 3" hole and if I have an overpacked box and am worried about mold- I stick a computer fan on there for the first night. That's rare though. Usually I just leave the fan out and regulate by closing/blocking the top hole and some of the side holes. Always dry as slow as you can. When you run the fans for a night or two what's probably happening is the outer parts of the buds are getting quick- dryed. Never a good thing. By air flow I just meant space around the bud and basic ventilation- but you'll have to experiment to see how your system is working for you.

I'm getting ready to harvest my first grow in a few days ... HOORAY!!! I read the 420 tutorial on curing but I still have some questions and am looking for advice.

So I'm growing in 3 gal air pots and I've been giving nothing but water and molasses for the last two weeks. On the recommendation of others on this forum, I'm going to flush with cold water tomorrow and turn out the lights for 2 days until I'm ready to harvest on Saturday. Then I'm going to hang the buds in my tent to dry. I have two small dehumidifiers which keep the humidity between 30-40% but that may go down even more when I take the wet soil and runoff plates out of the tent. I'm really worried about mold so that's a good thing. But then I read today that I'm better off to dry the bud slowly at maybe 50% humidity as opposed to a super fast dry with dehumidifiers. So does anyone have any input or recommendations on this? And am I going about these next few days before harvest right? Or should I be doing something differently?

I also read that you want more airflow at the beginning of dry vs. later in the dry. So what, turn off the duct fan after a couple days and open the vents on the side? This all just seems more complicated than chopping down a plant and hanging it should be. And what about trimming the bud when it's wet vs. at the end of the dry? What are people's thoughts on this? Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

:rollit:
Flush for a week mollasses makes it taste horrible if u dont flush us mollasses all the way through flowering just not last 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420

Back
Top Bottom